Outa Mothballs

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went over to Nashville recently for a songwriting session .It just so happened while I was over there my ol' pal Freed was playin' a Neil Young tribute show . So after my gig was done ,I hauled ass over to the Eastside Bowl to check out the show . For the bulk of the night he. played a 60s SG Special that he picked up about 5 years back . Man , that thing sounded SO good, when I got home the next day I HAD to dig out me '65 Special

I bought that guitar around the turn of the century. I tried it out in the store through an old, bad 60s solid state gibson amp. Had no intention of buying a guitar ,BUT this one had the sweetest sounding p90s. I had to buy it . I played it on the road for a good many years as the standard tuned ROCK machine in the roster ,til around '07 .

I gradually got back into the Les Paul .At some point I tried to move the SG to being the open G guitar , But it just did not agree with open G . I think I mothballed it around 2014. So last week I dug it out , set it up for standard tuning ...sounds /plays absolutely killer ! AND, as someone recently stated .... it's like havin' a new guitar :lol:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
:yesway:

Maestro Ebony block?
There was no ebony block, I think those were reserved for Standards n Customs , not Specials and Juniors ?
Knowing what I thought I knew about years of being on the wraparound slabs , at some point I A/B'd Maestro VS wraparound
As I suspected , the tone of this instrument was so MUCH better without the Maestro

junk notes

Reaction score
It appears that you barely made intonation. If you find a locking wraparound that fits, perhaps adding to sustain.
(I had a 65 Standard w/T-tops {no block}, and really enjoyed playing that bound neck - slippery neck!)

edit: Looks like a Cherryburst, did Warren use his 1958, that night?

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that you barely made intonation. If you find a locking wraparound that fits, perhaps adding to sustain.
(I had a 65 Standard w/T-tops {no block}, and really enjoyed playing that bound neck - slippery neck!)

Looks like a Cherryburst, did Warren use his 68 Sunburst that night?

That's an old picture . I got motivated and relocated the studs about 5-6 yrs ago . Put that Pigtail on a newer Melody Maker , and a proper unwound G compensated nickel lightnin bolt on the Special

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Cherryburst, did Warren use his 1958, that night?

I think that pic is from a 2007 phone or digicam , so it's kinda small , but I think I can see a mini toggle in the pot area on that guitar . That leads me to believe it was a Haynes sig Les Paul that they had out around that time

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
I went over to Nashville recently for a songwriting session .It just so happened while I was over there my ol' pal Freed was playin' a Neil Young tribute show . So after my gig was done ,I hauled ass over to the Eastside Bowl to check out the show . For the bulk of the night he. played a 60s SG Special that he picked up about 5 years back . Man , that thing sounded SO good, when I got home the next day I HAD to dig out me '65 Special

I bought that guitar around the turn of the century. I tried it out in the store through an old, bad 60s solid state gibson amp. Had no intention of buying a guitar ,BUT this one had the sweetest sounding p90s. I had to buy it . I played it on the road for a good many years as the standard tuned ROCK machine in the roster ,til around '07 .

I gradually got back into the Les Paul .At some point I tried to move the SG to being the open G guitar , But it just did not agree with open G . I think I mothballed it around 2014. So last week I dug it out , set it up for standard tuning ...sounds /plays absolutely killer ! AND, as someone recently stated .... it's like havin' a new guitar :lol:

Nice , I love it ! That's you in the image with Warren ?

axe4me

Reaction score
Seeing your SG Special turns the knife when I sold/traded my '64 Gibson SG Special cause I wasn't using it.

I bought a '62 Gibson SG/LP Jr. soon after.

Is that Audley?

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score

That's one good thing about having more guitars than you actually play - because next time you want a new guitar you can just pull out that "one that got away". :)

Latest posts