Original 1971 Slant 4x12 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by soundboy57, Feb 5, 2016.

1. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I found this cab a few years ago on Craigslist 5 hours away, and had a great road trip with my son to get it.
    It needed cleaning up, casters, back panel screws, and a cover, so it sat awhile.
    I finally got it together to sell, but it sounds outrageously great, so I
    may just keep it, to go with the memories of the cheesy Chinese take out place and time spent with my son.

Not bad at all for a 45 year old cabinet. All four "transitional label" black tab
    Celestion T1221 speakers, with original 102/3 cones, wiring, original grill and logo, and excellent original tolex, even on the back and bottom.
    It also has a plywood back. Everything is beautifully aged, I must say:D
    The only thing not original are the added Scumback metal handles, as the original plastic ones were history when I got it. It is actually cutout for the metal handles, but plastic were installed. Right at the transition to plastic, in Sept/October (speaker dates) from other 1960 cabs I have seen.
    All four speakers have solid glue on the spiders, no rubbing, and the cab is really punchy and dynamic,
    with great clarity, and bite. Heavy, even with the speakers out, these old cabs :)

Note how they used screws for the skid trays, rather than rivets, up to about 1975.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

With '72 50 watt and 1999 Les Paul R9
    [​IMG]

2. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

I found this cab a few years ago on Craigslist 5 hours away, and had a great road trip with my son to get it.
    It needed cleaning up, casters, back panel screws, and a cover, so it sat awhile.
    I finally got it together to sell, but it sounds outrageously great, so I
    may just keep it, to go with the memories of the cheesy Chinese take out place and time spent with my son.

Not bad at all for a 45 year old cabinet. All four "transitional label" black tab
    Celestion T1221 speakers, with original 102/3 cones, wiring, original grill and logo, and excellent original tolex, even on the back and bottom.
    It also has a plywood back. Everything is beautifully aged, I must say:D
    The only thing not original are the added Scumback metal handles, as the original plastic ones were history when I got it. It is actually cutout for the metal handles, but plastic were installed. Right at the transition to plastic, in Sept/October (speaker dates) from other 1960 cabs I have seen.
    All four speakers have solid glue on the spiders, no rubbing, and the cab is really punchy and dynamic,
    with great clarity, and bite. Heavy, even with the speakers out, these old cabs :)

Note how they used screws for the skid trays, rather than rivets, up to about 1975.
    Score !!!!:shred::applause::shred::applause::hbang: That cab could have a nice corner 100 logo ! Marshall cab = Great ! Road trip and Cheezzy Chinese take out place and time with your son = Priceless !!!!!!

3. soundboy57

I have a rare "Bass" logo, that I want to use someday, but I want a T1511 cab for it :)
    Would look pretty cool, either way.

4. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Nice cab. There are not many cabs around so clean.

Fwiw the 100 logos came with the 1982 model, not the 1960.

Dont know if Ive shown you this one before soundboy. Here is a clean DD loaded I picked up from Carl a few years ago. Just a shame about the speakers. Nice to look at but it sounded awful lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think this one had the mdf back.

5. dash8311

dash8311 Well-Known Member

Looks great! Nice find! I have the [almost] matching B cabinet. Sounds great also.

6. soundboy57

Gorgeous cab Bygone. I like the slants without the skid trays on top, which started right around the time mine was built, AFAIK...The changes with handles, back panel, etc, are all over the place in '71, like we have discussed before.
    My BD basketweave has a MDF back, and this check cab and a matching B cab from the same time period (71-72) have ply backs.
    I see a fair amount of them out there, they must have sold a few in 71-72. Most are trashed, however.
    A metal handle check cab with no skid trays is a rare bird, indeed.
    I got VERY lucky on the speakers, somehow. They are crisp and tight,
    just great sounding. I glued down a few minor spots in the tolex, removed a paint stencil on the back, cleaned the crap out of it, etc, but overall
    it is original.
    I am liking the sound of the early check cabs. The lone basketweave that I have
    isn't as clear and bright. Dare I say muffled a bit, in comparison.
    It's all fun, either way.

7. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

Looks beautiful. Not sure I could part with it.

8. Coronado

Coronado Well-Known Member

Interesting about the skid tray point you made and the screws. I have a cab that I thought was from sometime in the 80s. It has the skid trays with the screws as well. Can that help with determining the age of the amp?

9. soundboy57

Well, all I can go on are many cabs I have had from most every year throughout the 70s and 80s, and how they attached all the plastic parts....skid trays, cab corners, etc.
    Also, over time, I pulled up "for sale" ads and pics from other owners and checked the speaker dates, etc. to verify a cab as a "74" or "75".
    Having said that, as Bygone will tell you, there are only build ranges, over a certain period, and some overlap and exception. No actual January 1st cutoff for a new screw attachment system, or wood bracing change.

Generally, from what I have gathered:

Handles attached with aluminum pop rivets from early 1971 to approx. 1989.
    Since a 1988 B cab I had still had riveted handles, and 1990 and 1991 cabs I owned had screws on the handles, this is a strong indication they changed to screws with the 900 series, or slightly before, and they use them to this day.

For the plastic A cab skid trays, B cab caster cups, and cab corners:

1971-1973 attached parts using domed philips head screws. (Cab corners started with very late 1972 speaker dates)
    1974 attached parts using flathead standard screws.
    1975-1978 attached parts with large domed head brass rivets.
    1979/80 to current, attached parts with flatter domed brass rivets.

If your cab is original, and it has screws on the skid trays, it may be an early 1970s.

So many cabs have been recovered, modified, or re cornered over the years, it is possible the screws were added with new skid trays, as well. A few pictures and it would be fairly easy to tell the era of the cab.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Awesome! :cool:

My '71 B cab ain't that clean or original, but it's still my favorite! :D

11. soundboy57

I like the checkerboard more than the older basketweave, I think...they sound clearer and brighter, and let more high end get through. They were built very well in that era.