Original 1967-1968 Jmp50 Tremolo ?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by PaulHamwijk, Mar 22, 2019.

1. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Attached Files:

2. bill bokey

bill bokey Active Member

Same seller as the JTM45 BB combo I posted in the Classifieds section... This one doesnt look more authentic than the combo. Faceplate (JMP font ???) board colour, turrets, power transformer etc....

3. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Still for sale according to him... Pulled the ad though...

4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Looks ok to me, the PT is a replacement. Looks like nasty beer spillage at some time (or just rust!) that probably took the lamp and switches too.

5. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but that faceplate looks *very* pristine. My '68 1959T is more worn and faded, more like the back panel on this one. Mine was in a flood long ago and has nothing left of the chassis sticker but glue remnants, similar to this.

6. bill bokey

bill bokey Active Member

The front anel has to have been replaced, the JMP font is way different to anything I've ever seen on a Marshall.

The mark left on the chassis by the inspection sticker and the turrets indicate it's a '67 amp, shouldn't it be JTM black flag ?

I personnally would'nt trust a seller who claims an amp is 100% stock when the (at least) PT and the plexi faceplate have been replaced (or rewound).
    He also claims the JTM45 BB combo is 100% stock.....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    grainman, tomsvintage and neikeel like this.
  7. Rod

Rod Active Member Silver Supporting Member

Faceplate is to new.. that was my first Marshall.. the Tremelo 50. Cost was $325 back in 68.. should of kept that one:agreed::rolleyes:

8. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

Its not only debris from exploding electrolytic capacitors that can cause extensive corrosion inside amp chassis. Gases from melting transformers can do too. It seems like the mains transformer have burned and been replaced. Sometimes when a transformer heat up and don't snap immediately it gets real hot and starts to "boil" and nasty fumes comes out. These gases react with the protecting galvanized layers of zink on the steel chassis exposing the iron underneath to be more prune to rost.

Very often when you find a old steel chassis that have a lot of rust and corrosion there has either been a transformer meltdown or a capacitor boiling party... :)
    To get that much rust it either wise have been stored in really damp conditions for some extensive period.

Neither are good as valve sockets and pots and other parts are effected as well resulting in oxidation and bad electric performance of these parts.

I (I love restoration Marshall candidates) have a few old metal chassis with traces of heat around the MT and then fully rusted chassis... I should take some pics

plexi