Original 1966-1968 Tall Bottom Cabinet

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by PaulHamwijk, Dec 4, 2019.

1. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Could this be an original 60's Tall Bottom cab and if so, what year(s) would it be?

I am thinking of restoring it with new tolex. Would I get it to original with Pinstripe or Basket Weave?
    tallbottom - 1.jpg tallbottom - 2.jpg tallbottom - 3.jpg tallbottom - 5.jpg tallbottom - 6.jpg tallbottom - 7.jpg View attachment 64448 tallbottom - 9.jpg tallbottom - 10.jpg

Attached Files:

eastsidecincy and Dogs of Doom like this.
  2. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

3. shakti

shakti Active Member

Most definitely is. It appears to have had a two pin "100" logo in the corner, so would originally have had T1281 G12H 25w speakers. Pinstripe all the way for this one! As for year, it has to be from between fall '66 (when the "100" cabs arrived) to late '67. By that time the regular size B cabs were phased in.

Incredibly cool cab, and if you should for whatever reason decide that restoring it is not for you, I would be gladly take it over. ;-)

4. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Thanks! So would I then need the ‘green on black’ levant instead of the standard ‘black’ levant tolex?

5. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

cool..just when i thought there was nothing left to get..Tall cab !! Loved everyone i ever heard

PaulHamwijk likes this.
  6. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Great find. A lot of them have been hacked up and had side handles installed. It's a 67, you can tell by the finger joints. 66 would be butt joints.

If you have never restored a cab before it would be a bad idea to start with that one in my opinion. Consider selling it just as a project, and let the buyer restore it.

tomsvintage and PaulHamwijk like this.
  7. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Thanks Bygone Tones!
    I am considering having it professionally restored with nice EC Collins pinstripe. Not going there myself ;-)

Metroman and Dogs of Doom like this.
  8. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Would you have the backpanel done as well or leave it as it is?

9. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Personally if I was restoring I would do the whole thing then everything matches. You should be able to remove the tolex from the back panel in one sheet (use a hairdryer to heat the glue slightly), and sell that separately. Someone could use it to re-tolex a headbox or a small cab. If it's early 67 and is green on black it should be fairly valuable. If its just 'black' then it's less valuable but someone will still take it. Look on the inside edges where the colour hasn't faded.

michelebis and PaulHamwijk like this.
  10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I’m definitely not an expert but the back panel looks like it has been recovered before (different colour to the bottom stuff in your pics.

PaulHamwijk likes this.
  11. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Suddenly I'd be interested in getting something like that. Put it through a full restoration and recover it in purple levant. For the purple Hendrix stack.

It's definitely Marshall cabinetry in every detail.

If you decide to move it along rather than invest in restoration, put me on the list of interested potential buyers.

12. Matthews Guitars

BTW, the model number of that cabinet is 1982B.

13. shakti

shakti Active Member

No purple tolex for this cab, no... ;)

Dogs of Doom and neikeel like this.
  14. neikeel

There was a batch of reissue purple talls made iirc. You could get one of those things rather than not restore this one properly, one that has not been hacked is rare and should be restored to as close to original specs as possible, IMO.
    The hard part will be finding a matching quad if G12H55 25watters to fill it.

15. Kats

Kats Active Member

Curious,

Did any year of pinstripes come with G12M 25 watt speakers? (Or just the paper voice coil types.)

16. Matthews Guitars

I don't see it as a sin if you recover it with a color and type that was available as an option for that cabinet at the time it was made.

If it's a '68 and purple levant was available for that cabinet in '68, then I see that as a viable choice. I'd stick to what WAS available at the time, though.

17. shakti

shakti Active Member

I have never ever seen an original tall bottom cab in anything but the standard black (or whatever shade of black/green was used at the time).

I think the last of the pinstripe tall bottom cabs were made late '67, so it is most likely that they all had the paper voice coil former speakers. But there could have been some overlap right at the end of production. After the pinstripe era, there is the very occasional one made. I've seen a 1970 one. I have also seen photos of Jeff Beck in 68-69 with basketweave tall bottoms. But IIRC there were some anomalies which led me to believe they may have been regrilled by Marshall and that they were originally pinstripe cabs.

PaulHamwijk likes this.
  18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

a few years back, when Marshall did the handwire series, that's about the closest you'll get w/ modern stuff. I think they used the EC cloth, as I remember them saying that the cloth cost them 250 GBP ea/cab.

PAUL9192.jpg

they had the cab behind a ½" thick piece of glass, just to block public access to touching the cloth...

I didn't take an mage of the bottom cab, but IIRC, it was a tallboy...

crop:

PAUL9192_1.jpg

you won't find that greenish tinted black anymore.

I personally, would be happy w/ that. But, that's up to you. As you can see, others who collect & are more purist, would probably rather you just leave it be & either use it, or flip it...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    PaulHamwijk likes this.
  19. Matthews Guitars

If you truly wanted that authentic green-black tolex, obtain an original sample of the stuff and send it to Kayline Processing. Request a quote to reproduce it.

Be warned, their minimum order quantity for stock patterns is 100 yards. (Full roll.) I don't know what the minimum order quantity is for a custom pattern or color, or what that'd cost.

But for someone who is THAT committed to getting the right stuff, that's the path to follow.

Metroman, PaulHamwijk and neikeel like this.
  20. neikeel

Yes, good idea. My arms are too short to reach that deep into my pockets for this sort of thing!

shakti likes this.