Original 1965-1966 JTM45??

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by PaulHamwijk, Jan 24, 2020.

1. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Hi All, I am working on a deal with a 1965-1966 JTM45.

Can you tell me if its an original one? I know the PT has been changed, the logo and a few caps...

Cheers

Paul

$_85-2.JPG $_85.JPG IMG_1996.jpg IMG_1997.jpg IMG_1998.jpg IMG_1999.jpg IMG_2001.jpg IMG_2006.jpg IMG_2007.jpg

Flano_mark likes this.
  2. shakti

shakti Active Member

Looks very good on first look, but need more internal shots to determine. Especially about the PT - hard to say from those shots if it has been replaced or not. Also need to see the entire preamp section.
    It is a late '66 or early '67 due to the block ends to the chassis and square indicator light.

(P.S.: Cab has arrived in Sweden, will pick it up next Friday).

PaulHamwijk likes this.
  3. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

4. shakti

shakti Active Member

Electrolytic capacitors have all been replaced, but that is often seen as a good thing. I tend to keep them or use old ones, but it doesn't really retract from the amp's value and are definitely better than old ones if the old ones have started to go bad. Most see them as maintenance items (which they inevitably are...eventually). There is a small bypass cap added across V2 cathode resistor, which gives it a gain boost. Removed in about the time it takes to heat up the soldering iron.
    Other than that I see a replaced screen resistor and and added bright cap on both volume 1 and 2, also very easily removed.
    Marstran replacement power transformer, which is about as good as it gets for a replacement transformer, and not critical for tone as it delivers the required 450VDC, but definitely retracts from the collectibility and value of the amp.

All in all it looks like an excellent player's grade amp which has all the essential tone-shaping items in place. May we enquire what you are looking to pay for it?

Mick10 and PaulHamwijk like this.
  5. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

He's asking EUR6000 USD6500

6. boola1

boola1 Well-Known Member

Ouch, I remember not long ago when you could get these under 2K....No idea what a fair price is with that PT replacement. So few of these change hands nowadays that you are setting the market rate :)

It does look like it's been well maintained and is in great cosmetic condition.

Not helpful probably but personally I would pass and look for a brownface Fender 6G9B Tremolux for less than half the price, quite frankly it blows the JTM45 away in every area.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    Mick10 and PaulHamwijk like this.
  7. shakti

shakti Active Member

TBH I think it's getting just way out of hand. Makes me even more happy to stay with my meticulous clones using NOS parts...
    I agree with boola1, very hard to say what the value is these days, but I'm confident you can do better than that given the replaced PT.

soundboy57 and PaulHamwijk like this.
  8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

As above:
    Replaced PT with Marstran 1203-55 clone
    Replaced filter capacitors
    Replaced screen resistor
    Added bypass cap on V2a cathode
    Huge mixer bypass cap on channel 1
    Replaced bias caps
    Replaced on/off switches
    Date appears to be late '66.
    KT66 are new production

Personally I think that Euro 6000 ($6500 or £5000) is a healthy price. For that you would be getting a solid amp in good cosmetic condtion. The downside is the replaced PT (not tone critical but price sensitive). I have just had an offer of a smidge over that for my '64 (with RS trannies, maroon logo etc) with yellow print Mullards and almost NOS GEC KT66s if that helps put it in perspective.
    I would aim to haggle another Euro 1000 of his price maybe split the difference.
    They are very sweet amps and I will keep my '65 for as long as I play guitar.

9. PaulHamwijk

PaulHamwijk Member

Would an original '66 PT still be available somewhere and what type should be in here?

10. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

An original will be almost impossible to find (I keep looking all the time!) but you could strike lucky.
    The original is a Drake 1202-55. The Marstran is a pretty perfect repro of an original. The only difference is the lugs for wiring are single whereas the originals are riveted on double lugs. Spec. is the same. I have used them (in fact have had to use one on my '65 JTM50 Super PA resto). Normally it is installed with the heaters and HT towards the front of the chassis but not a big deal.
    [​IMG]

PaulHamwijk likes this.