Origin Mods!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by CyrusTheFabulous, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

First off 4 green backs, second time 4 cream backs, and I plan on loading them into the MG cabs, 2 at a time till I can fill them all, and turn them into 16 ohm cabs! Cheers Mitch

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You may want to try Creamback G12H-75s??? Im liking it a lot in this amp. Just a touch more crispness and character...just a tought.

3. Mitchell Pearrow

I will definitely give it a try, haven’t purchased anything yet, but those are my plans! Cheers for the heads up on speaker types! Mitch

4. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

if you don’t mind me asking can you give a $ quote on the gain stage and standby mods? i am interested in putting a standby in my 50h. does the power scaling complicate the mods? can the transformer handle an extra pre-amp tube without mods? thanks in advance for your response.

5. milfwah

milfwah Active Member

So far my only mods have been twisting the knobs on the amp now and again :)

Mine is the head and I run it into a two notes capture Then into Reaper and use a greenback 4x12 impulse response then out of my monitors. I can run any of my amps (even the 100 waters) full up this way and the resulting tone is amazing. The origin 20 is no exception.

6. MarshallDog

Sounds about right you already are using better speakers IMO. Try some new upgraded tubes and you’ll probably blow your goowwww!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    steveb63 likes this.
  7. Capo

Capo New Member

Hi all. New to forum, not new to GAS. Just picked up a Origin 50C. Thinking of a) Creamback, b) New Mullard or other tube?, c) swap transformer with Mercury Mag? Waste of time? Just for fun? Not my only amp, so thinking of just fooling with this a bit.​

8. paul hancher

paul hancher Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum! i have a 50 head and my favorite is through a 1x12 with a vintage 30. it also sounds really good with my 4x12 with g12 30h 55hz speakers. i have replaced all preamp tubes with mullard reissues and like it alot. still have the original power tubes in.

if playing at home the best thing i can recommend is a speaker or power attenuator. it will allow you crank the master. all of the best tones are had with the master above 12:00, and even in the 5 watt setting the amp is still REALLY loud.

tce63, Capo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  9. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

My opinion only, speaker swap would be first on the list.

I'd make sure the speaker is nicely broken in, after reviewing that is when to decide what, if any, steps are next.

Steve

tce63, Capo and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. MarshallDog

I would highly recommend the Creamback G12H-75 with EH pre's and Svetlana EL34's. Why, it seems as this amp breaks in, it gets darker. Originally, I thought it was a touch brite and put tubes and the G12M-65 Creamback in it. Great! But over time it appeared to lose some bite/balls. So I put this speaker in and tubes and wow! Not brite but it cuts and just sounds great and I DO NOT LIKE BRITE BRITTLE EAR PIERCING TONES AT ALL.

11. Capo

Capo New Member

Can’t believe I waited so long to actually post on these forums after decades of hoarding gear (which won’t stop anytime soon). Great advice and ideas all. Much appreciated. I’ll probably start this journey tomorrow with some speaker research. I’ll keep you all in the loop. Also curious on the transformer.

Neil Skene and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Mitchell Pearrow

:cheers::welcome: To the best damm forum for Marshall lovers anywhere, glad to see you aboard, and look forward to chatting with ya. Cheers Mitch

rolijen and tce63 like this.
  13. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Have fun!

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

I’d love a mod to the boost. The jump between off and on seems a bit too much. Maybe increase the gain a bit with the boost off so the boost on isn’t such a big jump.

Any ideas?

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. Mitchell Pearrow

That boost is the best for a solo boost as is ymmv. Cheers

El Marin, MarshallDog and tce63 like this.
  16. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

:welcome: To the forum

17. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Break in your speaker for a month. No on the transformer. Tubes can help. I would choose other OT than MM.

When you break in the speaker...Choose something that suits your tone/feel. And have fun tuning that amp. It rips.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and MarshallDog like this.
  18. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

If the amp has some volume, it certainly works better. And in a band situation.

steveb63, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Yes I agree, because I have tried an eq, a clean boost, and nothing seams to boost volume the way the gain button on the foot switch does, and I typically play my origin in a band type situation. Cheers Mitch

20. Capo

Capo New Member

Hello again all. Happy to let you know this thing does, in fact, as expected, rip. So far all I’ve done is run high and mid power, nothing but a holy grail Reverb pedal (don’t have a tank), and have tried the 59 Jazzmaster, 66 Strat, and Epiphone P93. All stock. Absolutely loving this thing. Went on a bit of a jump blues bender when the tone hit me. Think I’ll keep it stock for a little while until I get off this jag and decide I want something else in my ears. Haven’t tried other pedals yet, but have a ton of dirt boxes waiting to get a turn. Probably have 12 of them, so I’ll let you all know what works and what doesn’t. Is there a way to post video here?

steveb63, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.