Origin Mods!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by CyrusTheFabulous, Jul 9, 2018.

1. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

lol I showed up at a kinda country audition/feeler thing a friend put together with the Or20h on a 1x12 and before he even heard it the bass players like "yah know Brad Paisly plays DrZ amps". Then I pulled out a Les Paul and I swear I could mind read him thinking "Thats not a country guitar". Anyways tapped the coils and "twang twang we went". The guys like you're pretty good for a rock player. I told him country is just blues played out of key, and we jammed on lol.

2. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

I did the front panel piping on the Origin20H last night.
    I used a leftover from the smaller piping used on the Code.
    Just sliced the tolex, peeled it back, cut a groove, and put it back together with some contact cement.

20210225_050728-2.jpg
    20210224_220849-2.jpg

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looks good buddy and a quick job at that.
    Cheers

fitz288 likes this.
  4. knivesarequiet

knivesarequiet New Member

I have an 50h and after some time with it I'd like to get a couple improvements if possible, but I can't seem to get there. I'd like a fuller, tighter low end and a bit more gain from the amp. I run it wide open and hit it with pedals for dirt. From what I understand the middle preamp tube is for the fx loop. Is there a way to make it another gain stage instead? I've done all the tube/speaker stuff to get what I can from the amp as is btw.

5. knivesarequiet

Have you messed with the 50h? The 20 isn't nearly enough for my use. I'd love to add a gain stage while being able to turn the volume up and gain down and get some crunchier tones before hitting it with pedals. That's how I've run my amps since the 90s.

6. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

he's stated that this mod works equally on the 50...

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. knivesarequiet

Is replacing the loop v2 for a gain stage pretty much all he's doing? Sorry I don't know anything about this stuff. Also, is adding an eq to the fx loop, like pushing the gain on an mxr 10 band, similar to this?

8. Dogs of Doom

no, it reworks the whole frontend, also adding a capacitor at the beginning...

He is taking the effects loop out, using the loop buffering for the tonestack. The tonestack is pre buffer in it's original state. He also, drops bass up front & adds it later, because having it up front gets muddier, while adding it later doesn't & makes it sound fatter...

simplified/short version.

9. knivesarequiet

Damn that sounds exactly like what I'm wanting. Is there a way to do this mod with less gain than in the video? Or is adding that gain stage make the amp inherently high gain with no clean headroom?

10. knivesarequiet

To elaborate I play strats into mildly overdriven amps for dynamic clean tones and use pedals for whatever levels of gain I need. Here's my 50h on top of my Hiwatt next to my SD60 on my USA Randall cab. Both filled with old vintage 30s. The Hiwatt has noticeably more thump in the lows than your average 4x12 as does my Naylor compared to other 50ish watt heads. I don't care for the Marshall through the Randall because of reasons stated earlier. The Naylor sounds great through anything.
    [​IMG]

11. Dogs of Doom

hopefully Burger will answer. I'm not too well versed in this either. I'm just going by what I saw, in the video & supplied documentation.

Of course, you quoted the video where he has re-installed the effects loop. I haven't seen that one yet.

I'm sure that you could use a different value, to not effect the gain as much, but, not sure how you'd do it myself. Not sure how responsive the input is w/ using the gain knob, etc.

12. idw357

idw357 Member Gold Supporting Member

Are there videos available that show how to do these mods? I can't imagine messing with the electronics on my O50H unless it looks damn simple.

13. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

There are instructions and diagrams on the Headfirst website for the O20, not sure if the O50 is the same circuit layout and mods.
    This vid also goes through the process.

14. Dogs of Doom

while Burger/Head First makes it look simple, he did note that the solder traces on the board will fry quickly, so this is not for the novice PC board solderer. You must have a temp controlled solder station & be able to use it good.

If not, arm your tech w/ the videos & documentation & have him do it.

If you start burning through solder traces, you'll have to reconstruct hardwire traces yourself. If you're not good enough to do it w/o having to retrace everything, this probably isn't your skillset/level...

15. idw357

idw357 Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty damn sure it's beyond my skill level. I'm plenty happy with my SV212 and O50H. However, if I ever decide to do something like this, I have an excellent amp tech who rents space from a Music Go Round out in Framingham MA. Thanks for the 'sound' advice.

16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm hoping for a LM like mod for this amp. Hear it's in the works. :fingersx:

17. solarburnDSL50

:lol::eddie:

18. knivesarequiet

What does that sound like? I'm new to Marshall amps btw. I've only ever owned a Lead 12 and O50H.

solarburnDSL50 likes this.
  19. knivesarequiet

I'd be happy to get it to 800 territory, I think. I have a lot to learn.

20. solarburnDSL50

No hype. It means plenty especially if you're jerk'n a Strat.

I got the Lynch Mod one for my SC800. Put my pedals away boost wise. It plugs into V2 of the SC. No circuit changes.

The builder is talking to Marshall for a model that will do for the Ori. At this time it's early stage.

I bought one. If he gets one for our Ori? I'll buy another and not look back.

https://www.marshallforum.com/threa...-for-marshall-amps.119050/page-3#post-2107850