Origin 5c stock speaker

Dave_11

Reaction score
I pulled the trigger on a used Origin 5c at GC week ago and have been dialing in my tone the past few days. Everyone complains about the stock speaker, but I'm telling you this thing just flat out rocks through that eight/15. It has plenty of bottom end, and when I turn the volume up to that sweet spot about 2 o'clock, it has crunch for days. I tried plugging in a 10" greenback, and a 12" vintage 30, but neither of those could touch the stock speaker. Truth be told, those other two sounded like crap through this amp. I'm sticking with the stock speaker for now, but I'm thinking a 2x6.5 cab may be in my future. I just need to find a couple of used MG10s for cheap. Rock on...

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
HNAD!
If the little Eight-15 is working, rock it.
I have a Park G10 6-1/2" speaker if you're interested.
And a Crate 6-1/2" - both 8 ohm.

Dave_11

Reaction score
That was actually an april fools :ugh: The stock 8" speaker sounds every bit as bad as the youtube videos I watched. Even with an attenuator it still fizzes out. On the other hand, a G10 greenback and vintage 30 sounded really, really good with this amp. I have a Guitar Warehouse 8" speaker coming today, so hopefully that will improve the tone to acceptable. I will eventually put a 10" greenback in there, or build a cab for a 12" of some sort, but I don't have time to mod the cabinet or build right now -- too may other household projects are taking up my free time.

Oh, and I guess it's no april fools that I saw the price of the Origin 20 combo went up by $100. It's now $750

marty62100

Reaction score
By reading some reviews like this on the web, i was anxious, but finally give the amp a try. . And finally ?

Find the stock 8'' amazing... and that's not a joke. The overall voicing is really effective and the amp take pedals really well.

You need to shape it, to add bass for lower volumes for example like i do, an Eq in the loop and you're in.. don't need to change the speaker at all. Give it a try, simple trick and the amp's voicing is transformed!

The secret is a slighlty midscooped dirtbox with a bass knob. I use a Tube king tk999 japan. Perfect compagnon for it. Giving that "humpf". Gonna give a try with a Guvnor i think too. A standard tube screamer ect... will feel too flat.

I only play home now. I have owned many Marshall in 20 years, and I've sold my last head / 2x12 greenback, and keep this great 5c. Light, easy to carry, and loud enough... Been impressed.

One great amplifier. For sure.

Guillaume,
From France.

Last edited: