Origin 5C came with a surprise modification

'77'

Reaction score
Hi All,

I haven’t owned a Marshall amp for about 4 years now since having a Slash SL5 but whilst browsing Facebook marketplace early this morning I spotted a Marshall Origin 5C for sale locally for a bargain price of only £100. After listening to a few video clips on YouTube I was impressed with what I heard so arranged to collect it after work.

What a great amp and whilst looking at it I thought that doesn’t look like an 8” speaker fitted inside the cabinet so went hunting for a screwdriver to investigate.

I removed the back cover and to my surprise found that a previous owner had replaced the stock 8” speaker with a Celestion G10. Wow it sounds great and saved me a job as the only negatives I had read about the amp prior to purchase was about the stock speaker.

The only slight downside is that it is missing its foot switch so will need to find one.

I think I found a bargain, it’s nice to own a Marshall again.

e6QPEAr.jpg

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please could anyone on here who owns an Origin 5 amp kindly advise what the part number is for the foot switch? There are so many variations I want to make sure that I order the correct one. Thanks in advance
Congratulations on new amp!

I have Origin 50 and footswitch part number is PEDL-90016.

I'm assuming it should be the same for all Origins.

Enjoy your new amp in the best of health. :)

HNAD!
Nice score for £100.
The PEDL-90016 is correct as the button labels will match the functions, but any 2 button TRS latching footswitch will work if you're bargain shopping.

'77'

Reaction score
Thanks everyone appreciate the nice comments, playing this for an hour last night it’s great, I am amazed that you can get a valve amp for this sort of money and really don’t understand why the 5 model was discontinued as it sounds great. I am guessing the G10 speaker is probably making sound a little different to stock but what a lot of amp for very little money

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
Hi All,

I haven’t owned a Marshall amp for about 4 years now since having a Slash SL5 but whilst browsing Facebook marketplace early this morning I spotted a Marshall Origin 5C for sale locally for a bargain price of only £100. After listening to a few video clips on YouTube I was impressed with what I heard so arranged to collect it after work.

What a great amp and whilst looking at it I thought that doesn’t look like an 8” speaker fitted inside the cabinet so went hunting for a screwdriver to investigate.

I removed the back cover and to my surprise found that a previous owner had replaced the stock 8” speaker with a Celestion G10. Wow it sounds great and saved me a job as the only negatives I had read about the amp prior to purchase was about the stock speaker.

The only slight downside is that it is missing its foot switch so will need to find one.

I think I found a bargain, it’s nice to own a Marshall again.
Congrats on your bargain. I would be interested to see the speaker mod, because the depth of the cab wasn't sufficient to allow the back panel to be replaced without fouling the back of a 10" speaker when I had a look at doing the same.
I ended up transplanting mine into an old VS112 cab and have fitted a vintage 1973 Greyback G12M-25 Celestion. It's transformed the amp into a low volume vintage tone machine.

'77'

Reaction score
Congrats on your bargain. I would be interested to see the speaker mod, because the depth of the cab wasn't sufficient to allow the back panel to be replaced without fouling the back of a 10" speaker when I had a look at doing the same.
I ended up transplanting mine into an old VS112 cab and have fitted a vintage 1973 Greyback G12M-25 Celestion. It's transformed the amp into a low volume vintage tone machine.

No problem I will remove the back later and take a few photos so you can see it, whoever did it look to have done a good job of it too

Tatzmann

Reaction score
You definately lucked out on the speaker,
overall good purchase i'd say! Congratz!

How well does it do the growly Malcolm Young thing?

'77'

Reaction score
You definately lucked out on the speaker,
overall good purchase i'd say! Congratz!

How well does it do the growly Malcolm Young thing?

Thanks, funnily enough I was playing Riff Raff and Shoot to thrill both by AC/DC this morning through it and it nails the Marshall classic rock sound for most AC/DC material. It also sounds great for LED Zeppelin material too as I was also playing whole lotta love through it and it sounded great to my ears at least lol. So pleased with it and especially for the money!!

Dave_11

Reaction score
Nice, you got a great deal on that! I did the exact same mod to my 5C, except I made a new baffle. Stillworking on getting it covered though... Even though the 10" speaker improved the sound immensely, it still has a bit of a boxy sound to me. I get that to a degree running it through my Ori 20C, so I think it's the amp an not the cab. Just curious, what are you using for the AC/DC tones? Just cranking it, or using a pedal? I recently bought a Rangemaster treble booster clone that pairs very nicely with this amp.

slagg

Reaction score
To me SA amps always sound boxy and small in any room or speaker. They shine in front of a mic tho.

Latest posts