Origin 50H User Settings

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Martin Adams, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

As a user of the Origin 50H I thought my discovery may help others find their sound without going in circles !

ok most know the Origin has gain on tap but only when you really crank it which I agree is a great sound but for some this is just too loud at venues or at home etc.. one of the solutions is pedals in the front

I’ve had this setup with EHX glove in front then delay, reverb and then TC spark boost mini and it sounds really good and importantly levels that are workable

As a test I tried cranking the MV today and ran my delay, reverb and boost in the loop and tried to get gain from the amp ( it was now getting loud ) and the fx loop with pedals didn’t sound great, lack of delay and reverb clarity.
    I’ve read people asking is their FX loop ok and in the past at lower MV levels it was fine, crank the MV and it’s not fine at all.
    So in summary without pedals at all and MV cranked and amp for gain it’s great but way too loud at times.
    With drive pedals and turning down the MV either all pedals up front ( my method ) or drive up front and FX loop for delay etc and this becomes a very workable amp allowing solo boost pedals added ( I’m my case last pedal upfront )
    Hope that helps folks who may be trying different ways to get the amp to work for their own personal needs and volume levels !!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow and MatFnEhUK like this.
  2. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Martin. So the Boost function on that amp does nothing to give a great sound at lower volumes?
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

When I first got mine I used the amps boost function, and found all you have said true, but now I have quit using the boost, and my only pedals are a SD1, MXR10 band eq, or the Joyo ultimate drive, on the mid power setting volume at 3 (still loud)
    But that’s one way I run mine.
    I have posted a clip on the forum here where I am using six amps at a lower volume, it’s called
    Mother’s Day Trash
    But I am feeding the Origin’s from one of my Dsl40c’s via FX send to FX return on the Origin, and that is how I can get TV volume from the Origin.
    Cheers

4. Mitchell Pearrow

To my ears it tends to get a bit muddy, that’s why I have quit using it ymmv !

BanditPanda likes this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

This is my lower volume with the Origin’s.
    My Dsl40c’s are on the red ultra 2 with volume and gain at 2, I am using the MXR10 band eq to run both of the Dsl40c’s, that are feeding both of the Origin’s, along with a pair of 3210 lead 100 mosfet’s on the clean channel.
    No boost pedals, no modulation,
    Thanks

BanditPanda likes this.
  6. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

Personally I found the onboard boost only useable for getting more gain and volume at a time when I didn’t need as much jump in level. Using all pedals up front including TC spark boost mini I found no need for the boost or fx loop

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Martin, did the amp come with a foot switch which can turn the Boost on and off?
    BP

8. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

Yes footswitch for fx loop and boost

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  9. Martin Adams

Martin Adams Member

The boost in conjunction with the amp gain can be ok if using the amp to get your gain sounds but I found controlling the volume levels ( very loud ) it wasn’t practical. Decided it was better to use it as a pedal platform amp as it has a lovely warm clean tone which you can then stick drive pedals etc in front to create in effect a two channel amp !

10. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Active Member

I completely agree with you and posted almost the exact same thing in another thread a couple of days ago. Amp alone is clean channel, pedalboard is a dirty channel. :yesway: