Origin 50 vs 2266 Vintage Modern

V-man

Reaction score
I think maybe you meant to say “famous” and not “infamous”, when describing Fender amps, but I could be wrong. Maybe you just don’t like Fender amps?
Personally indifferent until the “what MIAB” to make my DR a plexi/Hi-gain metal pedal to make my BF a hi-gain monster. Traditional Fender tones don’t do much for me and the “turn my Fender into X” is pure cringe.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally indifferent until the “what MIAB” to make my DR a plexi/Hi-gain metal pedal to make my BF a hi-gain monster. Traditional Fender tones don’t do much for me and the “turn my Fender into X” is pure cringe.
Yeah, I kind of agree, I was never a huge Fender fan, they’re ok for what they are. I’ve owned a few but they never scratched my itch properly like a good Marshall does. Doesn’t really matter what pedal one uses imo, it’s still a Fender.

C-Grin

Reaction score
Tweed and brown/blonde Fenders are traditional fenders. Way different story from the BF /SF lines. I hit my 5E3 clone with a Maxon 808 with the gain turned down and it sounds pretty damn good (tightens up that loose bass) My brown face deluxe clone flat out rips. Different from a Marshall but still kick ass. But I agree trying to make a BF Twin sound like a Marshall is far less satisfying.

Cedric

Reaction score
Heresy warning.

You have eclectic tastes and you're not a Marshall diehard. Johnny Cash and SRV aren't particularly well served by any Marshall amp (well maybe a Club and Country for SRV, although he never used his all by itself).

The SC20's low sensitivity input can get you fairly close to Plexi gain levels. That amp can cover all the Marshall sounds you want reasonably well, especially since you don't seem to demand absolute accuracy.

Ditch the Ori50 and get a Fender (or Fender-ish) as your secondary amp.

(Before you do something that drastic, have you tried the SC20's low input with the master all the way up? If not, try it and see if it gets you close enough to covering all the Marshall bases.)
Lol, funny that, I have a Princeton and an AC10. I know the bands I mentioned weren’t really Marshall types, I was just trying to convey that I like things from the late 50s/60s up through some of the heavier metal/aggressive stuff today- though the heavier stuff not my first go to preference (Avenged, Slipknot, whatever).

Emo/screamo, hair metal, helI, I dabble in ambient stuff too. I’m trained as a vocalist, degree and all, but along the way I had to take piano, general western music methods, and world music instruments. I rip on a tongue/handpan and I’m teaching myself Irish low d whistle on the side.

I guess my point is that while I’m not a dead stickler for accuracy/authenticity, I still have an opportunity to get hold of a really nice, reasonably classic sounding Marshall to go with the JCM. And if I can get a British Marshall for the price of my origin…… :)

Other than ACDC, theDarkness,Hair metal, and classic rock, what kind of stuff can I listen to that’s Marshall-y? Maybe that would help- when I think Marshall I think Rock but I know there is other stuff out there ( besides blues- like it, not good at it at all).

Cedric

Reaction score
The 100 watt version is only 77 watts and the 50 watt version is about 36 watts....meaning they are relatively quiet Marshall amps.

Very good amps, you need to read up a bit on how to dial them in, they are not everything at noon, amps..
What do mean by this? I thought wattage was wattage other than the occasional peak.

JohnH

Reaction score
It's hard to find some comparisons like this. Origin, VM and also SV20 although different are to some extent all designed to 'scratch the same itch' for 'vintage-y tone. Most people wouldn't have access to more than one in that ballpark. I do love my VM combo though. I can recommend it as a classic design, and very versatile too due to the well-designed controls and gain settings. Probably the main fundamental difference is in its tones which come from KT66 valves rather than EL34 as the others.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Vintage Modern gets that VH tones with the detail up. Low dynamic mode is kinda like acdc highway to hell also sounds great with single coils lots of head room.Best with green backs.
Nobody sais it directly, but it looks like most people evaluate tone by price tag. The higher is the price tag the more rave reviews we get. In reality, the cheaper amps are not designed to sound bad and many of them can rival the best ones out there. The Origin sounds no better or worth than some of the most expensive amps.

Below is a link demonstrating a stock 200 dollar amp which wipes the floor with VM when it comes to VH tones.

67mike

Reaction score
Nobody sais it directly, but it looks like most people evaluate tone by price tag. The higher is the price tag the more rave reviews we get. In reality, the cheaper amps are not designed to sound bad and many of them can rival the best ones out there. The Origin sounds no better or worth than some of the most expensive amps.

Below is a link demonstrating a stock 200 dollar amp which wipes the floor with VM when it comes to VH tones.

fHmWj0C.jpg

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I bet, this is not the best of your pictures.

I repeat, this amp costs 200 dollars , and it's built like tank too. The reall problem with it was that it was too cheep. If the same thing would cost 1500 or 2000 dollars people would be lining up for it.

shooto

Reaction score

Is that the Windsor?…we all know a Windsor is two steps from an 800…so, not really a fair example of a “cheap” amp nailing VH on its own…that Windsor is more than likely modded…and where did you find it for $200?…that’s a steal…I’ve never seen one that cheap

Last edited:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Yes, it is the Windsor. It's a different flavor of the 800 and in my opinion it's just as nice, for a tiny fraction of the price. Quite a few people are gigging with it and it proved to be very reliable too.

The only "pedal" used in that VH video is the reverb. No other pedals had been used.

Anyways, my point is that cheaper amps can sound as good or better than the more expencive ones.

mark123

Reaction score
Ugh, I have a Windsor. Sounds nothing like a JCM800 and has zero dynamics. I'm in the process of tearing the garbage internal out and making it into something decent.

The only reason I kept it is because it cost like $220 and it's worth just about that much.

Last edited:

vivanchenko

Reaction score
Ugh, I have a Windsor. Sounds nothing like a JCM800 and has zero dynamics. I'm in the process of tearing the garbage internal out and making it into something decent.
You almost copied one of the negative comments from those you tube videos. The comment was made by a person who has no idea what he's talking about.

I do have the 100 W Windsor and it has all kinds of dynamics. The amp has as good dynamics as any of the Marshalls I ever had or have.

Can you elaborate, please, what's preventing an all tube, low distortion, 100 Watt, EL34 push-pull amp with 12AX7 tubes pre-amp and phase inverter from having excellent dynamics?

Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
You almost copied one of the negative comments from those you tube videos. The comment was made by a person who has no idea what he's talking about.

I do have the 100 W Windsor and it has all kinds of dynamics. The amp has as good dynamics as any of the Marshall I aver had or have.

Can you elaborate, please, what's preventing an all tube low distortion 100 Watt EL34 push pull amp with 12AX7 pre amp and phase inverter tubes from having excellent dynamics?
I don't know about the YouTube comments. I'm just talking about the Peavey Windsor that I actually own. It's a one trick pony. One boring trick. I just hate the thing.

I'm sure the problems are with bad design.

A JCM800 cleans up with the guitar volume. The Windsor doesn't.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
I don't know about the YouTube comments. I'm just talking about the Peavey Windsor that I actually own. It's a one trick pony. One boring trick. I just hate the thing.

I'm sure the problems are with bad design.

A JCM800 cleans up with the guitar volume. The Windsor doesn't.
It is a one trick pony. It only does amazing Van Halen and ACDC...

I am yet to see an amp which does 2 things well. Not JCM 800 for sure.

I don't believe you own the amp, because what you said about dynamics of the amp is totally irrelevant. I don't believe you ever played the amp.

Here is mine:

Last edited:

mark123

Reaction score
It is a one trick pony. It only does amazing Van Halen and ACDC...

I am yet to see an amp which does 2 things well. Not JCM 800 for sure.

I don't believe you own the amp, because what you said about dynamics of the amp is a totally irrelevant. I don't believe you ever played the amp.
Well, you'd be wrong. Don't know what to tell you. 🤷‍♂️

I'll photograph it if you'd like.

Latest posts