>

Origin 50 head aficionados - good boost recommendations?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by CroTone, Apr 30, 2021.

1. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Hi folks!

As the title says...what types of light ODs/boost pedals do you find work well with Origin 50?

I have an Ori50 head connected to the Celestion V30 type of speaker through attenuator.

I am not interested in pedals that necessarily sound good as a platform in front of the clean settings on Origin but I am more inclined towards solutions that will push the amp over the cliff in the setting in which Origin is already overdriven (gain at 8-ish) or at the edge of breakup?

There is something unpleasant to my ears in the way the existing onboard "boost" is working so would like to try an external pedal with a very simple set-up in mind "guitar - pedal - amp input".

All your inputs are welcome :)
    Thank you!

fitz288 likes this.
  2. fitz288

fitz288 Well, Known Member Silver Supporting Member

You mentioned having a Friedman BE-OD in another thread so I'll assume you tried this on low gain as a boost out front.
    I don't have the O50H, but I have the O20H into a 212 of Vintage 30's.
    The one pedal that I use that makes the biggest difference in my amp is the GE-7 in the loop.
    If you're looking for something to "push the amp over the cliff", try an EQ boost into the power tubes, not in the front end.

CroTone likes this.
  3. CroTone

CroTone Active Member

Thanks for this neat and interesting idea! Many swear with EQ pedal in the effects loop of many amps but I personally never tried that approach as I was always used to put stuff in front of an amp. I do not have graphic EQ such as GE-7 but I do have a powerful toy which is an Empress ParaEq with parametric equalization and a dedicated boost switch.
    Can't wait to try it! As for the Friedman...in my opinion, it shines in many other applications that I use and it's a great pedal, in this particular aspect it is nothing to write home about...

fitz288 likes this.