Origin 50 as Power Amp for JMP-1

mrp

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use an Origin 50 head as a power amp for a JMP-1?

The rack power amps are insanely expensive. Not much choice either.

On the other hand, I'm not impressed with the fact that the preamp section will be working idle all the time. No smart biasing like in the DSL40CR either.

Thanks.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Is it a good idea to use an Origin 50 head as a power amp for a JMP-1?

The rack power amps are insanely expensive. Not much choice either.

On the other hand, I'm not impressed with the fact that the preamp section will be working idle all the time. No smart biasing like in the DSL40CR either.

Thanks.
Should be fine. I have used heads as power amps with my JMP-1 for decades. I would only add that not all power amp sections will sound the same.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Should be fine. I have used heads as power amps with my JMP-1 for decades. I would only add that not all power amp sections will sound the same.
&... it's easy to slam the PI w/ the JMP-1, so volume w/ caution...

Most amp's you lose master volume control, on the head, so, you'll want to make sure to turn down the volume out on the JMP-1.

mrp

Reaction score
&... it's easy to slam the PI w/ the JMP-1, so volume w/ caution...

Most amp's you lose master volume control, on the head, so, you'll want to make sure to turn down the volume out on the JMP-1.

On Origin, wouldn't both Volume and Presence remain active though?

mrp

Reaction score
BTW does the Origin have a Cathode Follower in the preamp? Makes for a nicer "like a record" sound if using the preamp.

OriginOfTheSpecies

Reaction score
One thing I noticed trying to slave my Jet City into my Origin via their effects loops was how much hotter the JC signal was to the "pedal level" the Origin expects. It worked, but required keeping master volume much lower than normal (ie as loud/verge of breakup at 9 o'clock rather than 2). The JMP might be easier to match with it's own master volume in path.

mrp

Reaction score
BTW does the Origin have a Cathode Follower in the preamp? Makes for a nicer "like a record" sound if using the preamp.

No idea on the Cathode Follower, anyone?

Latest posts