Origin 412 B?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by ItzUknown, Nov 24, 2020.

?

Is the Origin 412 B good for metal?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Probably

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. No

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Hello,
    This is my first post here. I wanted to know if the Origin 412 B is a solid choice for my situation. I will buy the Head and the Cab separate so I have about 300 euros for each. For a Head I found a good price n a Marshall DSL1HR Amplifier. Though this head only support 16Ω. I wanted to know if the Marshall Origin 412 B would be a good match for it. I don't play live nor gig. I just like to play guitar and have guitar gear. I mainly play metal.

Thanks in advance!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi @ItzUknown and welcome to the MF :welcome:

I have just been reading the other thread you posted.

The Origin 412B would probably be just fine for metal, but there is little information available about the Celestion G12E-60 speakers.
    A popular speaker choice is the Celestion V30 for live metal, but reportedly they can get a bit fatiguing on the ears playing solo.
    A better all-round starter speaker might be the G12T-75 that are fitted to Marshall's 1960 and 1936 standard cabs.

Also, the Origin 412B is a BIG cab for the smallest head Marshall make (DSL1HR).
    And it is a pairing that you are unlikely to get an experienced opinion on.
    Is there a reason you want such a big cab?
    I would personally consider a 212 angled cab.
    But as you know from your other thread, they are generally 8 ohms (mono), i.e. 2 x 16 in parallel.
    To get to 16 ohms you have to wire 2 x 8 ohms in series.
    So for that you would need to replace the speakers.
    The cheapest route to do all that would be a bit of a faff!
    It would require you to get a 212 cab (2nd hand/new), sell the fitted speakers, and then buy and fit 2 x 8 ohms wired in series.
    If I were to go down that route I would look at the Harley Benton G212 Vertical cabs sold by Thomann in the EU.
    They do a Vintage Vertical fitted with Celestion V30's (2 x 16 ohms parallel) that is ~18% cheaper than the equivalent Marshall MX212AR cab (that comes with cheap Seventy 80 speakers).
    The Harley Benton is ply construction: The Marshall is HDF (High Density Fibreboard).
    So you would get a better construction, and speakers that you would find easier to sell.
    And to top it all 2 x V30's alone cost almost the same as the Harley Benton cab does, fitted with them!!!

Harley Benton G212 Vintage Vertical – Thomann UK
    Marshall MX212AR – Thomann UK
    Celestion Vintage 30 - 16 Ohm – Thomann UK

As others have said too, a DSL20HR would get you far more flexibility, cab-wise and tone-wise, and only costs a reasonable amount more than a DSL1HR.
    Then the world (of cab impedance) is your oyster!

MatFnEhUK and fitz288 like this.
  3. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Glowin' Ember Silver Supporting Member

I also posted to your DSL1H thread.
    Search for this thread to see the 16 to 8 ohm mod.

Dsl1 (2018 Vietnam Version) Mod's

4. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

I am trying to look at something more "Ready out of box" but if I have to I will try to do that!

5. fitz288

Keep it simple and get the matching MX112.
    You won't be disappointed with this little set, and the 12" cab moves a lot more air than the 8" combo.
    The DSL1 easily is just as loud as my 15w solid state g15ms, and will play metal just fine.
    I leave my gain knob on the red channel dimed.

6. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Well I have a Fender Mustang and I wanted something quite a bit bigger. Thats all. The other route is a Bugera g5 infinium and a harley benton 2x12 cab

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

no experience w/ the Origin cab's, but...

My experience, w/ the JVM1 & my 1960 cab, was that the cab had way too much headroom for the amp. The problem is, that, in a guitar tone, it comprises of:

Guitar
    Amp
    Speakers

at minimum.

They all combine to make your overall tone.

What the problem is, w/ what I'm describing above is, is that usually, you get certain tones by pushing certain elements of your signal chain. This means that you start w/ your guitar driving the amp, to a desired level, which, then, in turn drives the speakers to a desired level.

When you are pushing 1 watt, into a 300 watt cab, or even a 120-150 watt cab, you do not get that 3rd part of the equation, because all you can do is tickle the speakers. They become less part of the overall tone, even if you turn everything on the amp, all the way up.

Think in terms of headroom & threshold.

Most x's, you want a certain threshold point, where the speakers get excited & that's where they start to exhibit a certain distortion, that is pleasing to the ear. It's a fine/delicate line.

When you have too much headroom, you will never come, even close, to that threshold.

Doesn't mean that it will sound awful, just means that you will not reach the potential of the tone that the DSL1 can produce.

In the case of my JVM, w/ the 1960, I turned it up, & up, & up, all the way, & felt like something was missing. Like I just wanted a little more. W/ the amp's (power) deficit, you can not get that little more...

That said, I use it w/ a single 112 cab, or 2- 112 cab's & it drives them well enough, that it sounds like it's pushing the speakers. Best bet, is to get an oversized 112 cab. Funny enough, I like the AVT112, which, can be found relatively cheap, on the used market. I have it now, loaded w/ an H30 (55hz), but, even a normal 25 watt greenback is ideal. The 25 watt, is less efficient, causing you to turn up the volume a bit more & get less volume, right off the bat, which can be useful for getting a more full throttled sound.

Anyways, things to think about - food for thought...

8. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Cheers and thanks for the replies. I've thought about it and I have come to the conclusion that ill' buy a Harley Benton G212 Vintage (Celestion V30) Vertical 2x12 and a Bugera G5 Infinium. They are more affortable and heard that for their price they are amazing!

MatFnEhUK, SkyMonkey and Dogs of Doom like this.
  9. fitz288

Thanks, D o D, that was way more informative than the "jeez, you just can't please some people" reply I was working on.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  10. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

what do you mean? XD

11. fitz288

It means "enjoy your Bugera".
    If you want to tell anyone about it, there's a forum page here called "other amps".

12. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

or, in the speakers/cabinets section...

in regards to the cab, that is.

13. SkyMonkey

That looks like an excellent choice @ItzUknown.
    Looking forward to your NAD.
    Have fun!

BTW I just love your profile pic, but what is it?

14. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Yeah thanks I found it!!

fitz288 likes this.
  15. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

;)

16. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Thanks!! They are cheaper, lighter (mainly the cab) and still get a god tone for metal. I'll also plug in my TC Electronics Fangs Distortion and I'll be good to go!! Thanks everyone for the help.

My profile picture is just a random wallpaper from Google. If you type "Red forest wallpaper" it should come up XD. Its a nice one though and gives a chill vibe especially if you have it as a wallpaper!

SkyMonkey likes this.
  17. SkyMonkey

Found it.
    Really nice.
    Now I just have to put a (Sky)Monkey in one of those trees!
    Red Forest.jpg

18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

For home volume metal, decent quality in a cheap convenient package... PEAVEY VYPYR

19. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

Lol, do it. Have fun! XD

SkyMonkey likes this.
  20. ItzUknown

ItzUknown Member

I'll check it out