Origin 20H with solodallas.

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Graham G, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

After reading about the solodallas pedal on here(in the 20SV thread),I decided to try one(the poverty single knob X version) with my ORI20H & thought i'd post about it.
    First i'm completely useless with pedals of any kind,but I have been trying to persist with a HXFX (way out of my league) with no great success,but I have also failed with every other pedal I've tried so not i'm blaming the HX.
    Anyway back to the solodallas,after reading about it here I watched all the YT vids & read all the guff about instantly making me sound like Angus(sadly it doesn't ;),surprisingly).
    I normaly run the ORI Master at between 8 & full with the gain about the same & wasn't over impressed(my usual pedal reaction) with the SDX,so I started trying various Volume & Gain settings & I think I've arrived at my best results with a Pedal to date ;).
    I've ended up with the ORI on my normal Master Volume setting but with the gain down to about 10/11 o'clock,so now with SDX switched in i'm getting enough gig/practice volume ,but without the Amp saturated with too much gain(to get the Volume up) I can also switch in the ORI boost,without it seeming to saturate everything,which it normally does.
    So with the Amp on the above settings I can use as much of the Volume pot(or whatever it is) on the SDX as I want up to nearly full on(which is apparently nearly 30db) as a "boost" without any added mush & the ORI is really kicking out like this.
    All of this only relates to me & my previous Pedal experiences,i'm not saying it's some sort of "holy grail" & i'm sure you guys will know of way better pedal solutions,but based on just a couple of hours practice time i'm really impressed & pleased with how this pedal has improved the sound i'm getting from the ORI.
    Next step is to try it again in a couple of days,to make sure i'm not just kidding myself.
    It's great when old dogs learn new tricks :band:.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

you hear great things about the solodallas, have to wonder if it is hype. (it was just a wireless preamp re-purposed to boost, or used to boost, the input gain of a Marshall, still the marshall making the joy though, and the reason you are not getting Angus is he used plexi's. which means not origin but sv20 would get you there.)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Thanks,well I did say I was reading the SV thread,i'm desperately trying not to spend the Money,not sure if i'll ever get to gig again with Covid & old age.:)
    Oh & a wall of SV20's or Plexis wouldn't help me to get near Angus in any way,to big of a gulf in ability ;)

4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have the red limited one with 2 knobs for the SV I find it a bit hot sounding have to keep the gain low on the pedal its a pretty loud boost. Its ment more for a lower gain amp like the JTM50 I believe. Solo did admit its a bit aggressive then they planned on. The other ones might be better for me. I been using a Chase Tone EP3 preamp in from of my amps for a little more bigger and dynamic sound.

Attached Files:

5. OriginOfTheSpecies

OriginOfTheSpecies Member

Considering all the other variables, this is pretty bloody close.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  6. Marshall Boogie

Marshall Boogie Well-Known Member

I can get pretty darn close with my mark v edge mode....that does not mean that you nail the tone at all, but as Angus used mesa's for years i guess even he isn't all that anal about it

7. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Well-Blown Member* Gold Supporting Member

I have the higher watt Solodallas The Shaffer Replica. Of the amount of time I have an OD pedal turned on, it's on the most. More than Tube Screamer, more than Boss SD-1, etc.