Origin 20 PreAmp SLots & Tubes

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Yerfy, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Yerfy

Yerfy New Member

Just got an Origin 20H, and I am trying to figure out which of the preamp slots are v1, 2 & 3? Wasn't sure how they are ordered if anyone can help. Is the one on the far left 1 or 3?

From what I've read, the v1 is a JJ? Looking to change the 2&3. I have Sovtek 12AX7WA in my parts drawer , didn't know if that would be a good option for 2 or 3.

I'm not that well versed in these things, so pardon my ignorance. Thx!

Attached Files:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Generally the pre closest to the input is V1 and closest to the power tubes would be V3(PI).
    And it just wouldn't be me without adding a NOS 12ax7 recommendation to a post but........get a strong used I61 or I63 mullard ecc83.....never heard a marshall they didn't sound great in.:dude: or an rft ecc83:dude:

Mitchell Pearrow and Yerfy like this.
  3. Yerfy

Yerfy New Member

Thank you Sir! I've seen so many variations of what people have gone with for preamp tubes that it's a little overwhelming.

4. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

Yea ya gotta kinda try a bunch really to see what ya like......i went on a huge 12ax7 buy up spree about 15yrs ago and figured out what I like and for what positions....i have my favorites and look for and collect them....the others I sell or trade off.
    But seriously there is nothing like a mullard in V1 if 70s rock is your thing. Rft for a bit less dynamics and more bite.....but both will make nice marshall OD tones.... 2 of my V1 favs anyways.....that you can still find.

5. Yerfy

Yerfy New Member

I gravitate towards classic rock, so the Mullard may be a good choice. Thx!

6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum
    I have the 50H’s and I have put Mullard reissue 21AX7’s in all 3 positions, in one of them, (yes I have 2 of them)
    and the other was left stock, there is not much of a difference between the two, but my ears are old, YMMV
    These amps are great on their own for what you are playing, buy a couple and experiment, your ears will be the deciding choice...
    Congratulations on your new amp

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:23 AM
    Yerfy likes this.