Origin 20 owners, pedal that adds gain w/o changing amp's tone

daz

Reaction score
I just told you facts about what i want, why, how, etc etc. Unfortunately on forums you can't be honest without coming across a certain way which is NOT where i'm coming from. But without being honest and by fearing the possibility of not being politically correct or coming off as pretentious, what happens is nothing gets done because you get questioned over and over about things you already understand. And if you don't try and explain what you know and your experience and all that, 95% of replies end up being a waste of time because they are things you already know and understand and have thought of. Then when you tell people that then become offended that you didn't consider trying their suggesting even if it's something you are as familiar with as the back of your hand. How do you get around that w/o sounding condescending or pretentious? I dunno....u can say it any way you want and some people take it the way u did. I have 2 choices because of this....1-ask and hope i don't become seen as you see me, or 2-don't post here. Sorry u feel i'm what you think i am, but the fact is all i'm trying to do is hear suggestions and see if anything triggers a light bulb but if i don't try everything i'm told i have to expect replies like yours, even when i have done what u suggest a million times and know exactly what that'll get me ****knowing myself, the sounds i like and how i use my gear**** which you don't know. So since i can't just explain myself w/o being seen in the light you see me in I'll just opt for #2.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just told you facts about what i want, why, how, etc etc. Unfortunately on forums you can't be honest without coming across a certain way which is NOT where i'm coming from. But without being honest and by fearing the possibility of not being politically correct or coming off as pretentious, what happens is nothing gets done because you get questioned over and over about things you already understand. And if you don't try and explain what you know and your experience and all that, 95% of replies end up being a waste of time because they are things you already know and understand and have thought of. Then when you tell people that then become offended that you didn't consider trying their suggesting even if it's something you are as familiar with as the back of your hand. How do you get around that w/o sounding condescending or pretentious? I dunno....u can say it any way you want and some people take it the way u did. I have 2 choices because of this....1-ask and hope i don't become seen as you see me, or 2-don't post here. Sorry u feel i'm what you think i am, but the fact is all i'm trying to do is hear suggestions and see if anything triggers a light bulb but if i don't try everything i'm told i have to expect replies like yours, even when i have done what u suggest a million times and know exactly what that'll get me ****knowing myself, the sounds i like and how i use my gear**** which you don't know. So since i can't just explain myself w/o being seen in the light you see me in I'll just opt for #2.

Buxom Boost. Do it. Quit wondering. Pull the trigger. You'll be happy.

Unless you're a Fucking wordy turdy that these guys barely have time to spend with. Get on with it.

And they can Fuck off for all I care. Except all my Bruthers. The forum.

gregr

Reaction score
I’d like to know how it would be possible to kick in a distortion pedal with the output set to unity without increasing the hum of single coil pickups.

It seems that this is the criteria that this whole discussion hinges upon.

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
EP booster does what says on the tin

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I own an Origin 50. I primarily use a Greer Lightspeed for low-mid level gain and a J-Rockett Dude for mid-higher gain. Both are very transparent sounding (especially the Lightspeed). I use these two pedals mainly with my Marshall amps and both sound great with my Origin and my Astoria.

I recently picked up a Marshall Jackhammer pedal for cheap. I also really like the Jackhammer (once I dialed it in) with my Origin. The Jackhammer can get Nugent “Stranglehold” tones and Mountain “Mississippi Queen” tones easily. I liked the Jackhammer so much, I bought another Marshall pedal, the Bluesbreaker II. I’m not overly impressed with the Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal but it’s decent for what I paid.

C4AB8852-E24C-4058-8936-CEABCFD48990.jpeg
B84C1445-5DCD-4E9E-AFD5-6468CFECBD74.jpeg

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own an Origin 50. I primarily use a Greer Lightspeed for low-mid level gain and a J-Rockett Dude for mid-higher gain. Both are very transparent sounding (especially the Lightspeed). I use these two pedals mainly with my Marshall amps and both sound great with my Origin and my Astoria.

I recently picked up a Marshall Jackhammer pedal for cheap. I also really like the Jackhammer (once I dialed it in) with my Origin. The Jackhammer can get Nugent “Stranglehold” tones and Mountain “Mississippi Queen” tones easily. I liked the Jackhammer so much I bought another Marshall pedal, the Bluesbreaker II. Not overly impressed with the Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal but decent for what I paid.

Blues Breaker 2 ain't like the first. I have one too. I had the Jackhammer too. Stupid sounding pedals.

Last edited:

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Blues Breaker 2 ain't like the first. I have one too. I had the Jackhammer too. Stupid sounding pedals. If yer happy with it I'll just bow out. Otherwise enjoy that funky music.

However bros? Dont. Unless you like suckville.:agreed:

I’m only using the Jackhammer at low volume at the 5 watt setting on my Origin. I have not tried the Jackhammer at highe volumes. The Jackhammer has more gain than I normally use, but I’ve had some fun with it. It took forever to dial in tones that I liked with the stupid stacked dials on the Jackhammer.

The Blusebreaker II will be trade-fodder for my next pedal purchase. Again, I bought both of these used for fairly cheap. I’ve had a few other OD pedals that I’ve paid $200+ that sounded worse to my ears.

The Lightspeed and the Dude are the real deal OD pedals that sound good at any volume and on any amp that I currently own.

Last edited:

Bobby D

Reaction score
When i say adds gain i don't mean driving the input of the amp with a clean boost. Been doing that but it's just way to noisy at band volume. I have tried everything but not a lot in the way of pedal distortion. To be clear, distortion generated with a pedal with the level control set for unity gain so the amp's input is not being slammed, you're only adding more distortion from the pedal. I'd just keep doing it the way i am if it weren't so damn noisy. But i'm a single coil guy and have no intention if using noisless tone killing pickups. Been there and done that and not doing it anymore. I only have tube screamers as far as pedals that do that, and i hate TS distortion. Sounds nothing like the origin. I only have them because i used to use them for clean boosts with a mid hump into tube amps that already had a classic rock degree of OD happening, and for that i DO like them. Never liked the TS distortion tho.

So heres the thing....i like the OD i get slamming the input with a clean boost but it;s just too noisy. I don't want to rely on power amp OD because then i am in the same old syndrome as old non master amps where once you get the right tonne you were at a volume thats a crap shoot as to whether it will be right for the situation. So unless someone has found a better solution than pedal distortion i'd like to hear what pedal will

Last edited:

Bobby D

Reaction score
I use an MXR401 line boost into a BOSS eq just to tighten up the bass. Doesn't colour the sound but it gives it more balls. I have a delay/ reverb in the effects loops for quieter moments and thats all I seem to need

BRMarshall

Reaction score
Hey Daz,
I missed a lot of what happened previously. I’ve had my Origin20h for a good while and run 3 ODs in the front end. The OCD-Ge and old TS5 Tubescreamer both add their own flavor, but my Archer Ikon seems to add gain while retaining more of the Origin’s tone. Just my 2 cents, best of luck on your quest.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
I keep coming back to an OCD for dirt (LP mode ( unity volume with gain knob about 9 to 10 o clock) and an SD-1 gain down volume up for boost and a bit of mid bump. Also I just recently started using the amps boost with the gain at about 7 and roll guitar volume back a bit, sounds great.
Same ! My OCD is an amazing pedal . Many other pedals have come and gone . My OCD adapts beautifully to any amp I've tried it with .

Neptical

Reaction score
Wampler Tumnus or Tumnus Deluxe. Klon clone that works amazing with Marshall’s and doesn’t color your tone. I love mine.

One of my favorite pedals right there! I finally picked one up a few months back and pretty dang amazed how fantastic it is. Main stay on the pedal board for good. Between my SD-1, Tumnus, RAT and TC Spark all on the same board - my OD/extra grit is covered on all angles with my Marshalls, Fenders and Boogies.

RCM 800

Reaction score
Best thing about owning an OCD - if you have a technical question and send an email to Mike Fuller, you'll never get a reply from him.
But he will keep your mail adress to send you the weekly Fulltone spam mails then.
What a genius! :applause:
my favorite is they take the pedal made overseas, solder in a 9v pigtail, and voila, its made in the USA. MF is a MF. I mean you just cant really trust a dude with frosted tips lol.