Opinions On This Vintage 1960A

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Simmons67, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Simmons67

Simmons67 Member

So I wasn't getting much response from an original thread I started on a good pairing to my 1971 JMP 1987. So I figured it needed a new thread. I found this cabinet on Reverb. Just wanted opinions on this one and if there is anything I should be aware of as far as not being a good cabinet? https://reverb.com/item/33213186-marshall-1960a-4x12-slant-cabinet-1975

2. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

Seems a lot for a cab with black backs. Cosmetically looks nice. You should at least try to beat him down a bit. The wiring is not original, leads were clipped at some point, so you should be very careful. For all you know they're reconed speakers. It's not because he mentions that the cab is 100% good, that you should really rely on that. If you're picking it up, at least pull one or two speakers to make sure they have the original Mueller cones, look good, no coil rub or anything like that. Best is of course to take your time and take them all out for a good check. And then smack them with your 1987 to make sure they are up for it, and sound the way they should.

Cheers! :cheers:

3. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

Cab should be around $1500 or so, IMO, assuming it's got original cones, etc.

soundboy57 likes this.
  4. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Oh tell em to f right off

2 grand for a cooler grille cloth with less-than-super-desirable speakers?

Just look for something 80s without speaker pics and a 260w or 320w rating, bring 400 bucks, a flashlight, and screwdriver. You'll be as happy or happier, but 1700 bucks richer

5. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Exactly.

6. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Not sure what is up with prices on this old stuff lately. 50-100% over real world, in my opinion.

I guess they are trying to retire with one sale? :)

7. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's nice but not 2100 bucks worth of nice. 1500 sounds fair to me.

8. Simmons67

Simmons67 Member

Oh of course I was not going to pay that I was going to make an offer was curious what that should be if I decide it was worth trying to get.

9. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Asking prices are crazy thesedays. That is a top end price, but you might get lucky with that cab. March 75 is usually good for the 'large rib' pulsonic cones with the 1777 and 0444 stamps. Nice speakers if they are working properly. The bottom left speaker looks promising, not sure about the other 3.

So check for the white 1777 stamp, and check they have no issues, before buying.

The price is not totally silly if everything checks out. At least the cab looks fairly clean and original, got its original Homa castors etc. Compare it to some of the other crap people are selling on reverb.com described as the "holy grail", you could do a lot worse than that one ;)

10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If it's been pissed on by a cat $2100 all day...............

Seanxk likes this.
  11. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Money Cat

DSC06650_copy_1024x1024.jpg

Pissed here.... 2100 dollah!

12. Seanxk

Seanxk Well-Known Member

This kind of cab can be found for a lot less, a cab with black grill cloth and around 1977-78 can be found much less, I actually picked up a 1960A from 77 all excellent for £210.00, the guy even said to me " I'm not sure why it hasn't got the rectangle badge in the lower corner '' , I just smiled and said '' no probs, I can live with it ''

13. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Well-Known Member

I just sold a 71 1960B straight cab, metal handles, plywood back panel with four G12H30 55hz I'd reconed for $1800 plus shipping. Two minor snags in the checkerboard cloth, the rest of it was in pretty good shape. There's no way that slant would be in that price point.

14. StingRay85

StingRay85 Well-Known Member

with all due respect, a recone will always be a recone. many people also consider these cabs to be an investment, but for that it has to be original. even a repair on an original cone sinks its value. maybe like Brian mentioned, IF they are the large rub pulsonics, maybe it's not such a crazy price. If they are recones it's probably not worth half of that. clearly the wiring is messed up so I would say caution is needed.

15. uselessoldman

uselessoldman New Member

For me a cab is a cab so long as its plywood, price subject to condition. What matters are the speakers and if you look hard enough long enough you get what you want for a sensible price. If its cheap enough its easy enough to swap the speakers out. I would NEVER consider any cab an investment, unlike amps and guitars and even then I think sometimes prices are crazy, but some people just have to treat themselves that is life. IF you have to have a specific set of speakers, price them up first and then use that as a guide, no speaker cab is that much cos individually you can pick those speakers up for £50 each !!!