Opinions on Mesa Fillmore series

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Buzzard, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I’ve been thinking about either a Mesa Fillmore 50 or 100 head. The 50 sounds good especially the Andy Timmons demos. Guys say the 50 isn’t loud enough with a loud drummer. Some demos the drive sounds are a little dark sounding to me anyone?

StrummerJoe likes this.
  2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

Those are very nice amps, one of the best new amps to buy for great cleans and American tone. I would say go for the 100w one if there is any doubt. The head and matching 2-12” cab is very sweet, but so is the 100w combo 1-12” sitting on the matching 1-12” cab. Decision’s, decision’s....

Timmy51 likes this.
  3. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

fender killers all day long
    one complaint ive never heard with a boogie is they arent loud enough.

PelliX and Peter McAteer like this.
  4. Buzzard

I agree. Some claim the 50w played clean with a loud drummer isn't loud enough.Wtf , are they playing U2 at ear bleeding volumes? lol. Most mike amps these day's anyway.What music woul'd you need that loud of clean headroom anyway?

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

Every complaint I have heard about the 50s not being loud enough has come from people trying to get crystal clean tones out of them at higher volumes, and they simply aren't designed for that. They're based on the Tweed Fenders, not the Blackfaces, and if you push them into that grittier territory they're plenty loud.

6. ricksdisconnected

yep. i bet fender shit themselves when this amp hit the market.

7. Frodebro

Probably not, as their customer base is all about the vintage amps and not much into modern stuff. Having said that, the Fillmore 50 is everything I wanted my DRRI to be, and then some.

8. ricksdisconnected

hell i like the fillmore over a lot of the vintage. but you did say "vintage" and fender hasnt come close
    in some time to the old gear. there just isnt anything out there that is giving the goods like the fillmore
    in its field. what a damn amp though.

9. Frodebro

They aren't building them like they used to internally, but they're definitely building them to LOOK like they used to. I had the chassis out of my DRRI to do a bit of modding, and the construction pales in comparison to my Mesas.

10. ricksdisconnected

oh im sure of that. last amp i got was a Fender Hotrod Deluxe III.
    to be honest, ive never played the damn thing. still in its wrapper.

11. Buzzard

Well I went to a GC on Saturday and they just happened to have a used Fillmore 50 c. I’ve been on the fence about a 50 h vs 100h.The 100h is creme tolex so the difference between both is $500. All the demos that sound very good to me are 50’s. I liked the 50 when I tried it. So to get a 100 just because some guys on the internet says it’s better would not be very bright of me. I’ll go with my own opinion and ear and go 50.I haven’t been wrong yet thankfully.

12. ricksdisconnected

you never will when you buy what sounds good to you.

Frodebro and drgordonfreeman like this.
  13. tallcoolone

tallcoolone Well-Known Member

Didn't like the Fillmore one bit, but I'm not a fan of tweeds either. No sparkle or brilliance at all--I really wonder how that amp cuts in a mix.

14. Buzzard

Check out the demo's of andy timmons ,there's a few that sound awesome..to me.No pedals either.It may change your mind.Friedman's in general also get criticized for not cutting through mixes.The ones I tried sounded great though by themselves.

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  15. tallcoolone

I don't trust Andy Timmons b/c he is a monster! I've had 3 Lonestar Classics and honestly I never bonded with them at all but they always kept coming up in trades. I know that amp like the back of my hand and Timmons makes them sound like my dream amp lol. I did plug into the Fillmore and run it through its paces over at the manch Music Mill. Hey everyone hears things differently I just didn't think it would cut.

16. Buzzard

Fair play.What did'nt you like about the lonestar classic? was it a head or combo? I trust your opinion but could it be your ear wants to hear marshall? Please let me know if you come across another lonestar classic head, multi watt. Preferably in a store.

17. tallcoolone

100% my ear wants to hear Marshall u are right. The only Mesas I find have enough cut for my taste is the Stilettos and the Mark V 90. One of the Lonestars I sold the guy came over and played through it and Itm thinking the whole time, “I can’t make this amp sound this good”. I’m just one guy’s opinion and who the f am I lol! That being said if you are looking for that fat blues breakup tone and you are playing single coils the LSC is a really nice amp. I tried to make it a classic rock channel switcher and I just don’t think that is what it is. It’s a blues amp, and sounds great with single coil Fender guitars.

The MV90 deal fell through on ya? You gotta get one of those and tell me what you think!

StrummerJoe likes this.
  18. Buzzard

No actually I’m meeting the guy at a guitar center tues. for the mk v. I just got the Fillmore 50 h today but don’t have time to mess with it today. Last Mesa I’m interested in is the lone star. I use Gibson firebirds exclusively since no matter what amp I use they just work for me.

19. tallcoolone

Looking forward to your take on the MV :yesway:. I would also love to hear some clips of the Fillmore. You still liking the Heartbreaker?

StrummerJoe likes this.
  20. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

I call bullshit on those claims. Those folks who claim it are as @Frodebro stated looking for BF sounds on the clean, which is not how the amp was advertised.

I just recently sold my Fillmore 50, and not because I didn't like it. I sold it because I need room and I have another amp I cherish far more.

The Fillmore 50 is a killer low to medium gain amp. I had no problem with it cutting with a drummer and bass player. Also takes pedals great and is probably the best reverb Boogie has done on an amp.