One way to cure G.A.S. and one last Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by johnfv, Mar 3, 2014.

1. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I found out last week that I'm being laid off from my job. I'm not too worried - my wife still has a full time job, we're not going to starve or be foreclosed on or anything. Still, my rampant G.A.S. will be coming to an abrupt halt, in fact I may be selling a few things eventually rather than acquiring. That said, here is a local CL score I made a couple weeks ago but had not posted yet. Probably the LAST guitar I will acquire for a long time. :ugh: 2005 Les Paul Standard Double Cut. I really prefer the thinner, lighter DC body and was keeping an eye out for one. The amber tops are my favorite look but I was able to get this black dyed one for $900 - no complaints. The guitar has some scratching and nicks on the back and sides but the chunky neck feels really good in the hand. It had a terrible setup when I first saw it - the neck was substantially bowed and even the bridge was on backwards. Still, I could see it was a diamond in the rough. I'm getting pretty confident with my truss rod adjustments now so after getting the relief set properly, turning the bridge around and setting action and intonation it plays very well. Many recent Gibsons I have tried have a sharp edge where the binding meets the neck (a pet peeve of mine) but this one is very smooth - proving once again that Gibson CAN do this well when they want to. I've not taken the pickups out to verify what model they are, but they sound pretty damn good - I don't feel a need to swap anything (yet). Overall, very pleased with this score, should be a great workhorse guitar. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sorry to hear about your job...
    But great score on the DC!

johnfv likes this.
  3. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

I love those things.

scat7s likes this.
  4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

That guitar looks great...I love the DC's.;) You have much better upper fret access than a regular Les Paul and you even have 24 frets!:yesway::applause: With that guitar you can become a full time rock star and make loads of money.;) Congrats on your purchase.;)

johnfv likes this.
  5. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was my plan back in '80. :lol: Life is what happens while you are making plans...
    [​IMG]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  6. BlackSG91

But back then you were bowling too much while consuming gallons of beer. Didn't you write a song about that once?:hmm::naughty::wave:

7. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

And here's the thing. "Normal" Les Pauls are a bit bulky for me. I love SGs, I really do but they may be too thin and flexible. The DC shape is really my favorite but the P90 models can be too noisy in some cases. This thing feels just right...

8. BlackSG91

I'm a big fan of Les Pauls myself since I already have two. The DC is appealing because I like the symmetrical look where an SG is slightly asymmetrical. After I play a Les Paul for a while, then I go to my SG, it feels so pointy. The DC seems like the perfect shape. A good comprimise between an LP and an SG. Now you have me G.A.S.ing for one.:wave:

johnfv likes this.
  9. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

That was my friend and bandmate Lance. I was just "the other guitar player" :)

BlackSG91 likes this.
  10. BlackSG91

Well now that song is stuck in my head the whole evening thanks to you.:naughty::D

11. jvm210guy

jvm210guy New Member