One Amp, One Guitar $2,000 Budget.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MexicanMike, Sep 15, 2016.

1. sinner 13

sinner 13 Well-Known Member

Best rig under $2k I had was a Kustom 36 Coupe 36w 1x12 combo ($550 NEW at the time.), and a 2001 Les paul Junior ($200 Used from the other Guitar player in my band.) and an EHX LPB1 for leads $35
    $785.....

Still have access to the LPJ, but MAN I kick myself for giving up the Kustom

2. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

There's a couple 2-3 rigs I've gotten rid of that I wish I still had. WAT was I THINKING!

3. MexicanMike

MexicanMike Well-Known Member

How are the necks on a Les Paul? I played only one in my entire life & it was so big I could barely grip it. Studio has a modern neck right? Traditional & Classic scare me because I don't want a 2 by 4 neck. I do like the idea of a Gibson though. Should I just go with a studio because of the modern neck or am I just overreacting on the whole classic/traditional chunky neck thing?

4. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

My take?....you need to play them for yourself and make up your mind afterwards. Ain't no one on line gonna sway you away or towards what you like or want, at least I hope not.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Well, here's my take on it, keep in mind this is purely opinion.

My whole life I liked the thinner necks. I played Jackson, Ibanez, etc and I loved them. I wouldn't touch a Gibson or Epiphone with a 50's neck. However, a few months back I got my dream axe, a Les Paul custom. It happens to have a 50's neck on it.. At first it was tough to play, it felt pretty good but being used to the smaller necks made it a little challenging.

After a couple of days though I got used to it and I will tell you, it is THE BEST NECK in the entire world.. It is more comfortable, it's easier to play because you have more to hold on to, and it adds so much mass that it fattens the tone.. It's THE way to go.

That said, the studio will have a 60's neck. It's still a little "fat" in the middle but the shoulders are tapered to the edges giving it a slimmer feel. It's still going to feel bigger than a Fender neck but it's not what you're thinking about. I have a strat and my 50's LP neck and i can go back and forth easily, in fact these are about the only 2 guitars I can do that with. I played a 60's neck the other day and honestly I could barely do it. I was hitting the wrong string and everything, it was bad.

Here is a drawing which shows the 50's vs 60's neck.

[​IMG]

Honestly, give big necks a chance.. I think you'll find that you like them more.. Also, the SG would have the same 60's neck as a LP studio, so keep that in mind also. With you having a Fender already I would HIGHLY recommend the LP as the tonal variety is very welcome. The SG is great but has it's own sound somewhere in the middle.

MexicanMike likes this.
  6. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

I like big necks and I can not lie
    You other brothers can't deny
    ...baby got back

7. MexicanMike

I'd have to drive 3 hours to play a Les Paul. Might do it, if I can get somebody to go with me.

Thanks, Phil, that was really helpful my friend. How do you like PRS? I can't help but throw their name into the mix. They make honestly some of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen but pretty much their American entry level guitar is 2k. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CE24TG That's the one I'm looking at. I don't know if I'm meant to have something so nice. I mean, my pride & joy is my Mexican fender. It would kind of be like seeing a rich guy in the ghetto.

8. MexicanMike

9. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

nothing wrong with that. It's just two, too many. :D

10. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I'm sort of off and on with PRS. They're beautiful, they sound pretty good, and they play alright. The problem I have with them is that they are so cold and sterile. There's just no soul to them.. I can't word it but I've had a couple (s2, not the high dollar ones) and they're not something I could see being my main axe.

Now you're talking, that green one makes me think evil thoughts.. :wub:

MexicanMike likes this.
  11. MexicanMike

The green one is nice, but I'm feeling heritage cherry. :yum:

I do like the lemon burst & Honeyburst ones but they're only on traditional models & up.

12. keennay

keennay Well-Known Member

I did, and never saw the sun during the 10+ times I've been there!

13. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

The sun? What's that? :confused:

keennay likes this.
  14. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

15. MexicanMike

I'm thinking about upping the budget to 3k. Maybe get a 2017 SG Standard in heritage cherry along with a Blackstar HT Club 50 half stack.

I like LPs I really do, but I'm after that Angus Young tone man. I also like the weight relief of the SG more.

Blackstar is great, I want a half stack but the EVH 5150 is really tempting too. Both seem like really good choices.