On My Way To Tupelo

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finally taking the time off to go see my oldest son and his family in Tupelo, MS. Leaving tomorrow on a flight to Denver. Two glasses of wine layover and then Denver to Memphis. Rent my car, get a room at the Hilton for the night and off to Tupelo leaving around 5am. Pick up my son and off to Vicksburg for part of the day and then back to Tupelo.

My great, great grandfather (father's father's side) came to the US from Prussia in 1850 when he was 12 years old. He signed up for the Confederacy in 1860 in Texas. He and some other Texans got sent to help out in Vicksburg until his capture at the fall of Vicksburg. Meanwhile, my great, great grandfather (father's mother's side) was from Mississippi and already at Vicksburg until their capture at the fall of Vicksburg.

I like to think my great great grandfathers got to know each other during this time. I like to think one of them had an instrument and played while the other sang and that they got to be close friends. The reality is they probably may not have even seen each other. I want to go to Vicksburg to get a sense of what it was like to be there. Weird knowing their descendants were to get married.

My grandfather's father died in November of 1917. "Swamp flu" is the cause of death listed on his death certificate. My grandmother's mother died from Spanish flu in early 1918.

If you live in the area and see some old fart running around who looks like this:

0DD3F82C-4AAB-4A0B-878E-1B5CFCA542C7_1_105_c.jpeg

That'll be me or the twin I have in the Senatobia area. There's a guy down there who looks just like me. I saw him once when I was in first grade. I was on the school bus coming back from Catholic school and my friend and I saw this kid playing on his front lawn in Southaven. He looked EXACTLY like me. My friend kept looking at him and then me and back and forth.

Then, as I was older, people would often come up to me and start talking to me as if they knew me. They'd go on until it was clear I didn't know who they were and they'd be puzzled and then realize I was not who they thought I was.

The last incident was in 2018. I was visiting my son and I stopped at a rest stop to use the bathroom. The volunteer who was manning the information desk said to me "You look exactly like my dentist who lives in Senatobia. He's retired now." I should have pressed him for information but I was late. I won't pass up that kinda thing again.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'm finally taking the time off to go see my oldest son and his family in Tupelo, MS. Leaving tomorrow on a flight to Denver. Two glasses of wine layover and then Denver to Memphis. Rent my car, get a room at the Hilton for the night and off to Tupelo leaving around 5am. Pick up my son and off to Vicksburg for part of the day and then back to Tupelo.

My great, great grandfather (father's father's side) came to the US from Prussia in 1850 when he was 12 years old. He signed up for the Confederacy in 1860 in Texas. He and some other Texans got sent to help out in Vicksburg until his capture at the fall of Vicksburg. Meanwhile, my great, great grandfather (father's mother's side) was from Mississippi and already at Vicksburg until their capture at the fall of Vicksburg.

I like to think my great great grandfathers got to know each other during this time. I like to think one of them had an instrument and played while the other sang and that they got to be close friends. The reality is they probably may not have even seen each other. I want to go to Vicksburg to get a sense of what it was like to be there. Weird knowing their descendants were to get married.

My grandfather's father died in November of 1917. "Swamp flu" is the cause of death listed on his death certificate. My grandmother's mother died from Spanish flu in early 1918.

If you live in the area and see some old fart running around who looks like this:

View attachment 98672

That'll be me or the twin I have in the Senatobia area. There's a guy down there who looks just like me. I saw him once when I was in first grade. I was on the school bus coming back from Catholic school and my friend and I saw this kid playing on his front lawn in Southaven. He looked EXACTLY like me. My friend kept looking at him and then me and back and forth.

Then, as I was older, people would often come up to me and start talking to me as if they knew me. They'd go on until it was clear I didn't know who they were and they'd be puzzled and then realize I was not who they thought I was.

The last incident was in 2018. I was visiting my son and I stopped at a rest stop to use the bathroom. The volunteer who was manning the information desk said to me "You look exactly like my dentist who lives in Senatobia. He's retired now." I should have pressed him for information but I was late. I won't pass up that kinda thing again.

safe travels my/our friend. enjoy the time you get to spend with him.
time passes to fast. get out and make some memories you both can cherish.
need to tell you to take pics im guessing? lol

Sapient

 
Reaction score
You mean him???

snowflake-unique-captive-albino-gorilla-in-barcelona-spain-in-1996-picture-id108565255

Lol. JUT KIDDIN', BRO!!

Have safe travels. Thanks for the story too. That kinda stuff is always interesting. My great gramps was a carpenter that came over from Germany. All I really know.

:yesway::metal:

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 98672

Cool! Both of my parents are from Mississippi. Both Ole Miss grads. My mom was from west of Jackson, and my dad south of Memphis. I have family all over MS, including Vicksburg. If you run into anyone with the last name of Mashburn, I'm related. Enjoy your trip! Don't sell your soul at the crossroads.

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
"On My Way To Tupelo" would make a good song title.

Here's how you get to the business district:
iu

The statue of Elvis Parsely:
iu

A public bathing facility:
iu

Fine dining at an affordable price:
iu

Last edited:

Latest posts