Old school and new school….

PelliX

Reaction score
Nice, nice! Just curious, the Helix - is that the height you use it at? Or just a nice way or setting it up for a photo?

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Well I know I understand what that Marshall will do.

Does that other thing do anything or even sound like a guitar amp when used?

I have had and used processors, and they are good for some things.
Usually, I feel the actual tone of the guitar is lost or covered up with most processors.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, nice! Just curious, the Helix - is that the height you use it at? Or just a nice way or setting it up for a photo?
That’s just for ease of reach when I’m sitting down. Live, the speakers would be up on the stand to eliminate that low boominess, and Helix is on the floor.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know I understand what that Marshall will do.

Does that other thing do anything or even sound like a guitar amp when used?

I have had and used processors, and they are good for some things.
Usually, I feel the actual tone of the guitar is lost or covered up with most processors.

first time I brought the helix to rehearsal they thought I was using the Marshall till an hour or so in when the other guitarist said wait is that sound just from that little speaker? I was using just one Headrush speaker then.
After that I didn’t bother dragging the JVM to rehearsals. Just Helix.

George Dickens

Reaction score
With the Helix I believe you can put your own amps algorithm in there?
First time I heard or ecven seen one I think was 3 or 4 years ago with Chilliwack.
Sounded great, I couldnt tell what he was using., but it was on top of the amp.
I think he played his Marshall for a bit good and loud like a warm up
and then pushed a few buttons and started the show.
If he was using the Helix during the show there was no audible difference as far as I could tell-
other than it was very clean in that there was little noise.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
first time I brought the helix to rehearsal they thought I was using the Marshall till an hour or so in when the other guitarist said wait is that sound just from that little speaker? I was using just one Headrush speaker then.
After that I didn’t bother dragging the JVM to rehearsals. Just Helix.

I don't like this change. It's everything my pant flap is against!:D

Looks like a toy. I know yer not lying. Crazy advances. Promise you'll use the JVM for some good ole pant flaps here and there?:fingersx:

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like this change. It's everything my pant flap is against!:D

Looks like a toy. I know yer not lying. Crazy advances. Promise you'll use the JVM for some good ole pant flaps here and there?:fingersx:
Hellz yeah!!! Pry my Marshall out of my cold dead hands. Popped it open the other day to snug up the input Jack, and replaced the foam on the bottom of the footswitch. There’s still a couple tube heads I’d like to have for old times sake.
SC20H, Jet City 20, Peavey VTM and Butcher, Ampeg V4, maybe a SLO. Hell I’d like to try one of those Bugera also.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Does the Helix actually produce tones that sound like a good tube amp, or even a good Marshall amp?

Maybe this is essier to discribe,.... Does it sound better than CODE patch tones? Maybe way better?

Last question, do you have to spend a lot of time programming it, or does it come with
great preset patches that are developed by a series of lab engineers.

I prefer a well programmed device. Long sessions programming and tweeking settings is a waiste of good studio and guitar playing time.

Kind of like the internet,... its good for waisting time.

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the Helix actually produce tones that sound like a good tube amp, or even a good Marshall amp?

Maybe this is essier to discribe,.... Does it sound better than CODE patch tones? Maybe way better?

Last question, do you have to spend a lot of time programming it, or does it come with
great preset patches that are developed by a series of lab engineers.

I prefer a well programmed device. Long sessions programming and tweeking settings is a waiste of good studio and guitar playing time.

Kind of like the internet,... its good for waisting time.
Nope it sucks, and obviously I don’t know what a Marshall sounds like since I don’t own one. That sits 6 feet away from the Helix.

/sarcasm off.

you’ll have to try one for yourself. If you’re a tweaker there’s a lot to tweak. If you like it simple like me, then go simple. I start with a good (to my ear) amp and cab, then add effects as needed and then I’m done.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Absolutely it does. Plenty of video examples here on this forum.