old 4x12...?

Joshabr1

Reaction score
Well. U should have listened to George and put the proper grill cloth on a cab of that vintage man. Those are not plentiful items. I wouldn't have stripped it either. But to each his own. Looks good.

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Thanks.. i was so pist off looking at the dirty mouldy stained tolex, but yeah i guess its not to everyones taste but im happy with how it looks and more importantly how good it still sounds

neikeel

Reaction score
Glad you got what you wanted, it is just a speaker box.:hmm:

It is a shame because any resale value now lies in the speakers only, of course their tone is in the 'eye of the beholder' too - wanna swap for a quad of 75s?:naughty:

What would gave been a nice £1000 (a least) cab is now dust. Did you throw the tags away too and drill the bottom out for some modern plastic inserts and why not drop in a set of plastic trays on top? Sorry that was un-called for but had I seen earlier I would have snapped it up/swapped it for more of what you wanted.

At least it explains why originals keep their value when this fate befalls the majority:shrug:

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Hey man.. no i didnt drill or cut etc... its still got the tolex and badge on its back, but imho i saved this cab for being dumped by previous owner,, the original tolex would have caused a medical epidemic if id have left it on.... i got it to only £10!!!!! So in terms of value i win,, no matter what!!!
So for all those who hate what ive done u must understand that i love my orphan cab and proud to own it...
happy new year to you all and keep on rockin!! :)

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Hi all
ive been really really enjoying my cab again... just love the tones im getting with a modern head and some fx..
over my other cabs, jcm900 & vintage modern 4x12s it just is so much nicer!!
So time to do some more work to it,, considering ive already sacriliged it lol....
I need a logo...and caster inserts and caster wheels and a new jack plate...
anyone know what logo i need? Size etc...
We believe the cab is a 1960 from 1969,,, speakers are mint greenback Thames ditton surrey g12m 25w 16ohm 75c/s
date codes (backward) 1bk on top and 2bk on bottom
cone codes from memory ** 102 003..

Attachments

• 20160122_204259.jpg
    20160122_204259.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 24

neikeel

Reaction score
Hi all
ive been really really enjoying my cab again... just love the tones im getting with a modern head and some fx..
over my other cabs, jcm900 & vintage modern 4x12s it just is so much nicer!!
So time to do some more work to it,, considering ive already sacriliged it lol....
I need a logo...and caster inserts and caster wheels and a new jack plate...
anyone know what logo i need? Size etc...
We believe the cab is a 1960 from 1969,,, speakers are mint greenback Thames ditton surrey g12m 25w 16ohm 75c/s
date codes (backward) 1bk on top and 2bk on bottom
cone codes from memory ** 102 003..

The correct logo holes will be under the refret.
A basket weave would have 6" up to late 69 and then a 9". The chequerboard cabs only ever had 9" logos.
The castors on those were typically just a tube into which a pop-in revvo caster would fit. Sometime (I think 1970) they moved to the bronze Homa screw in bosses and bronze Homa wheels. Both of which are getting expensive.
Best bet is to get some Fender pop-in castors and the bases (tubes with flanges). If you are lucky the tubes might still be there and all you need is the Fender castors.

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Thanks for the info neikeel...
the tubes where there but the flange was worn off...the cab must have been pushed along a stone floor for a long time...with no wheels on....i punched out the rest of the tubes a while ago...
pretty sure original grill was basketweave...

neikeel

Reaction score
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pop-in-out-Casters-for-Fender-and-other-amplifiers-or-loudspeakers-2-wheel-/111863231536?hash=item1a0b917430:g:IXUAAOSwq5lTqZUT

mT5Zm2tVv7wpmLVNoMVQ-hQ.jpg

You may need to open out the old tube holes a little (it is worth doing it carefully for a snug fit and using countersunk screws for the 4 holes per tube so that it does not dig in when you pop the wheels off.

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Yeah they look similar to the tubes that where in originaly. Thank you.. does anyone know the size of the spaces for the logo holes? So i can determine what logo size i need

Eddiemc05

Reaction score
Why...its still rocks! & smells alot nicer? It was in a shame of a condition when i got it... and i still have all the tolex in a decontamination bag ;)

kuli

Reaction score
Maybe you would like to sell me the tolex? I am restoring an amp head and a '69 cab and could use some original tolex..