Ok, maybe a dumb question

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by chromeboy, Aug 28, 2020.

1. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

First I don't do my own amp repairs so most of what I have seen hear is just chinese algebra to me. Anyway, here is my question. I took an amp to a repair guy that was suggested by a friend. I was having problems with the amp cutting out on me . The guy told me it may be just some dirty pots. I said ok. When I went to pick up the amp he wanted me to see that it was working correctly. So when he turned the amp on he turned the power and standby on at the same time. I was told a long time ago that you first turn the power on, give it a minute then turn the stand by on or on the run position. Isn't it bad the just fire it up like that? The other thing was that the amp started cutting out again and I ended up taking the amp back two more times. He finally either actually cleaned the pots or replaced them. Needless to say I never took my amps back to that guy and he ended up going out of business.

SkyMonkey and Shawn Kawvey like this.
  2. J Saw

J Saw Well-Known Member

I do that all the time. Mine all run fine. Don't sweat it. Just crank it :D

Jethro Rocker and Shawn Kawvey like this.
  3. william vogel

william vogel Well-Known Member

It depends what amp it is. An old Fender Blackface Twin Reverb, I would not switch to all on. A Marshall plexi, not a problem.

Shawn Kawvey and JM5010 like this.
  4. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Amps are very simple beasts. I can't see what the problem is.
    Here is a basic schematic to demonstrate my point:

Funniest-schematic-ever[1].jpg

5. chromeboy

chromeboy Well-Known Member

I guess if the amp has been run for bit it would be ok but not when cold. I have nothing to back that up but I just feel like better safe than sorry. Bts the amp the guy was working on was my old jcm 800. Maybe I pamper my amps a bit but can't see anything wrong with that.

Ramo likes this.
  6. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

It just makes sense to let the heaters warm up the tubes before you hit them with high voltage.

7. myersbw

myersbw Well-Known Member

The whole issue of delay times is usually centered around cathode stripping electrons and contributing to a shortened tube life (however much "shorter" that might be). Thus, it's not really the amp you're pampering, but the tubes. Now, that said, I often flip the STANDBY first...then the POWER. Why? Because when I get an amp in, it's often valuable to start slightly hearing amp issues BEFORE the full conduction (i.e. full volume) potential exists.

If the amp tech has done the job, ignore it. His flipping switches together may have cost you 4 seconds of life of 1000 hours...hardly worth a second consideration. But, catching a glaring extreme noise issue BEFORE it manifests...priceless. I almost always flip standby first...even with 50watt+ amps because I don't like full conduction surprises. That's just me. :)

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. Sg-ocaster

Sg-ocaster Well-Known Member

X=(5)+y÷4×Shuaguang ×(4)........:D

SkyMonkey likes this.