>

Ok Level With Me Here Boys...

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by yngwee, Feb 6, 2018.

1. BrentD

BrentD Active Member

I had a DSL100H and have a JCM 2000 DSL50. Tonally I think they're close enough for it not to matter - they all vary a bit anyway. I got rid of the 100 because it wasn't getting used and when I missed it I got the 50-watter because it seemed safer for my Greenbacks and I wasn't crazy about triode mode on the newer ones. Some observations:

• I like the digital reverb on the newer ones because Marshalls don't seem to need the springs for that surfy kind of sound and so the greater reliability of digital is worth the trade to me.
    • The resonance control on the new ones is more useful than the deep switch on the older ones, but I rarely used either.
    • External bias control on the older ones is nice.
    • I prefer the tougher vinyl, rivets, and plywood on older ones to the softer vinyl, screws, and HDF on the newer ones.
    • The older one seems to have the trannys placed in a way that balances better when you're carrying the head. The new ones are different. Maybe it's due to some difference in the amps wattages (different trannys?).
    • Bias drift is a real issue, but you can avoid it or deal with it if you choose. The new ones do not have this problem and although I'd bet the older circuit boards are stronger, the newer ones are definitely smarter.
    All in all it's six in one hand and half a dozen on the other. If you find a good deal on one, don't overthink it.

BanditPanda and Jethro Rocker like this.
  2. yngwee

yngwee Member

Stop before you make a fool of yourself. However, I'll go ahead and make it clear. I've earned a masters degree and PHD since then... Yeah, no shit. What have you been doing with your time?

Yeah the HDF was the first thing I noticed and it turned me off real quick. The Haze 40 and the SL-5 were the last foreign made Marshalls that I cared for. I don't know about anyone else, but regardless of what musical styles the Haze met or did not meet, I thought it was a fantastic sounding amp.... but then again that was many years ago and my amp knowledge/tastes have greatly improved since.

Anyway, I'd like to see some side-by-side gutshots to see if Marshall cut any corners besides the crappy fiber board box.

Dude my Astoria Dual is landing home tomorrow. I haven't been this pumped about an amp in a long while. All it has to do is be at least as good as my Smallbox (though I think it's probably a little better) and I'll be totally satisfied. Hey, by the way, do you have any audio clips of yours? Also, were you the one who said you're using EL34's instead of KT66's?

Best post so far. Great info. Thanks.

3. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Never mind Jet. Dan is not a fan of the DSL line and at this point he's just trolling you.
    BP

4. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    My posts weren't directed at you personally. The bias drift thing is well documented.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

OMG he's gone to skool !!
    BP.

6. charveldan

Fixed.

ricksconnected and BanditPanda like this.
  7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Fair enough. When my post was followed by

It just seemed like it was geared to me. The DSL bias drift sure has been well documented for years. However, of course, not every unit in those years will have it.

8. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

No, they were CLEARLY stating NOT ALL early DSL's had bias drift issues, only some of them. If you don't understand the argument, perhaps you should just stay out of them altogether. :shrug:

LPMarshall hack and mk2 steve like this.
  9. Ghostman

The funny thing is, when they released the DSL100H, Marshall went on and on about how they retained the same tone as the JCM 2000 DSL's. Now, with the current release, they are talking about how they went BACK to the JCM 2000 tone. So which is it Marshall? You can't have it both ways.

10. charveldan

I never said "all" either and one guy felt i was talking about "his" amp specifically and i never did. I merely touched on the topic and everyone acted like i was making it up. 00.00 F*cks given.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

that is an automatically delegated badge from the forum. It changes when you reach xx amount of posts. Maybe 50 or 100, IDK right off. So, he could be here for 10 more years & if he never reaches that milestone, it'll still say new member...

The Ozzk likes this.
  12. Dogs of Doom

I guess you could say that the years up until '06 were prone to bias drift, as they all had the faulty board material, that became thermal...

Not all of them did it. There could be reasons for that, like never really pushed, or not heavily used. They still could. The other contributors, were underspec'd cap's & the faulty Cliff jack switch on the 16 ohm output...

13. _ripper_

_ripper_ Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're right of course, but the newer has to be better, otherwise how will they sell amps? :D

That being said, hopefully someone will open up one of the new DSLs and give us previous version DSL owners the lowdown on the EQ tweaks they did, haha. I'd like to know how they 'smoothed out the brittle highs' that you hear about in all those YouTube demo videos.

14. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Shy do you have to turn every single thread where there's even a mention about a DSL into a Charveldan's Bias Drift Crusade.....

LoL

15. charveldan

[​IMG]

and were off ...

16. Dogs of Doom

it's not new...

I remember when they came out w/ the DSL/TSL (even the 900) they always said, sounds just like a JCM800, or that you can retain that sound, but get more. They never sounded the same, nor could you get that tone.

17. Ghostman

I'd be so much more content if they just named it something different. Let the JCM2000 DSL's just have it's place in Marshall History, and take a stab at a new name. :shrug:

Michael Roe and Jethro Rocker like this.
  18. charveldan

YES ... cuz they're not the same.

Component wise alone you can't remove 4 pounds of Transformer from an amp and expect no changes.

19. Ghostman

Or, now that I think about it, how many versions of JCM800's or JCM900's were there? They all had model numbers too.

etc.

20. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

I'm just going to say the new DSL100HR voicing and balance is superior to the last generation.
    YMMV LOL!

Ian Alderman and Bloodrock like this.