Official or unofficial Marshall DSL100H Information Thread and Q and A

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
The DSL100H is an amazing base amp to build a rig around.

It takes pedals well, the loop is seamless, and it's 2 channels with Zero latency in switching. The digital reverb isn't amazing, but it's usable. I've owned one for just over 8 months now and use it daily for at least 2 hours and weekends it's on for 8+ hours. It has been solid, reliable, stable, and consistent.

This is however my 2nd one, as the 1st one which was a store floor model blew a powertube and took the socket with it after 2 weeks. This 2nd one however has not had a single issue and the tubes (TAD) are still stock and going strong after about 500 hours of usage.

I use mine with 2 x stock 1960B cabs (G12T-75 speakers) in a full stack configuration, in conjunction with some pedals, and rack gear, and I gig with 6 guitars minimum.

Despite the naysayers, I have 28 years of gigging all kinds of gear, and the DSL100H is a good gigging head and is serving me well.

:yesway:

Photojazz

Reaction score
Land o'Marshall Law, at Guitarville and Drum City
Thanks Jethro. I am usually pretty good on ohms and speakers, given my home theater background. But I wanted to make sure I had this right. (shameless plug) I own www.htguide.com/forum. I built audio video cables for 10 years part time. Anybody wanting to talk DIY for speaker cabinets for example, we got a lot of smart guys on that stuff at the Guide. Our lead moderator is an electrical engineer.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
It's a bit odd because of the 2x8 ohm jacks. Makes it look like you can run 2 - 8 ohm cabs when in reality it is 2 cabs with a total impedance of 8 ohms so 2 x 16 ohms or 1 x 8. Kinda confusing.

Kl75

Reaction score
Because I couldn't find an old 2203 or 2204 for a reasonable price, I bought a new DSL 100H a few months ago. The cab I use with it, is a late 70's angled cab loaded with 3 g12m blackbacks and 1 new g12m greenback.
The red channel does nothing for me but the green channel in crunch mode delivers a good rock sound with my SG.
For me it starts to sound good with all settings on about 5 (deep switch not engaged) including volume, which is very loud but it's necessary to open it up.
For solos I boost it with the ehx soul food which is a great pedal that almost doesn't colour the sound.

Far Rider

Hendrixian
VIP Member
Reaction score
Because I couldn't find an old 2203 or 2204 for a reasonable price, I bought a new DSL 100H a few months ago. The cab I use with it, is a late 70's angled cab loaded with 3 g12m blackbacks and 1 new g12m greenback.
The red channel does nothing for me but the green channel in crunch mode delivers a good rock sound with my SG.
For me it starts to sound good with all settings on about 5 (deep switch not engaged) including volume, which is very loud but it's necessary to open it up.
For solos I boost it with the ehx soul food which is a great pedal that almost doesn't colour the sound.

:yesway:

Kl75

Reaction score
I ordered a MM choke 3H today and want to install it this weekend.
Any help/tips are welcome because this will be the first time I'm going to solder and drill holes in an amp:D.

Photojazz

Reaction score
I have not soldered on an amp, and don't know what a mm choke is, however soldering on electronics:

1. Best to get some 50% silver solder sources: www.homegrown-audio.com maybe, Cardas.com. or google.
2. soldering tip needs to be small, and probably get a really good solder iron, that gets hot enough, rheostat controlled. To get proper soldering requires tinning the tip of a new solder tip. There's a block of stuff you rub the tip into hot and roll some solder on, until the tip absorbs some of the solder and it adheres to the tip. This makes for smooth even solders. A little flux is necessary too if solder does not have flux in it. I never liked the ones with flux inside hollow core.

That's my solder recommendation. I built high end audio video cables for 10 years.

Kl75

Reaction score
I have not soldered on an amp, and don't know what a mm choke is, however soldering on electronics:

1. Best to get some 50% silver solder sources: www.homegrown-audio.com maybe, Cardas.com. or google.
2. soldering tip needs to be small, and probably get a really good solder iron, that gets hot enough, rheostat controlled. To get proper soldering requires tinning the tip of a new solder tip. There's a block of stuff you rub the tip into hot and roll some solder on, until the tip absorbs some of the solder and it adheres to the tip. This makes for smooth even solders. A little flux is necessary too if solder does not have flux in it. I never liked the ones with flux inside hollow core.

That's my solder recommendation. I built high end audio video cables for 10 years.

Thanks for the tip Photojazz!
By the way, MM is Mercury Magnetics.

Photojazz

Reaction score
Crap, just lost a post. you got any details on what is supposed to be done on this operation? I'd think twice about main board soldering! I just don't know what this is all about, maybe some other guys here know all about it, try getting some advice from more experienced than me. I can help with soldering instructions, but after that, I don't have transferable knowledge.

Put it this way, I could build my own guitar cables if I wanted too, or RCA audio cables, or component video, or S-video (like anyone uses those now), etc... But I am not a component level worker. If I was, I'd put a new power supply in my Lexicon MC-12!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
^^^ yep. Spent my youth soldering Belden 8410 (3410? Memory...) guitar cables up etc. and guitar pots n parts. Past that, nope. Not me!!

Woods

Reaction score
I ordered a MM choke 3H today and want to install it this weekend.
Any help/tips are welcome because this will be the first time I'm going to solder and drill holes in an amp:D.

Yeah, don't be scared. Be safe. Un-plug your amp and ground the filter caps properly. Soldering and de-soldering is child's play. Just don't be judicious with heat. Holding it on forever and such.

Kl75

Reaction score
Choke install completed!

I cut the ceramic resistor with a pincer, not professional but I didn't have the guts to solder it from the pcb.
IMG_0977.jpg

Soldered the wires to the legs.
IMG_0990.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

It wasn't a hard job to do and with a bit of patience anyone can do this.
I checked the bias, plugged in a guitar and everything worked well.
Tomorrow I'm gonna crank the amp and see if the added choke is an improvement or not.

Dan!el

Reaction score
Greetings from sweden, new on this forum.
Just orderd this amp today with the matching mx412 cabs. Watched many youtube videos and when i saw gary holt using dsl100h in slayer i had to get it.

Rahlstin

Reaction score
I added a choke to my DSL100H and after a show pulled it off. Sounded and felt better to me with the resistor. Same with the DCL40C. However, on my JCM2K DSL100 head it was the opposite effect, sounded better and the feel was better so I left that one installed.

Kl75

Reaction score
I added a choke to my DSL100H and after a show pulled it off. Sounded and felt better to me with the resistor. Same with the DCL40C. However, on my JCM2K DSL100 head it was the opposite effect, sounded better and the feel was better so I left that one installed.

I think mine sounds and feels better with the choke, a bit tighter and more powerful.
Especially the red channel in lead 1 mode sounds better now, with volume at 4, gain at 3 and the EHX soul food kicked in for a clean boost.

MarcoR

Reaction score
This thread needed a necrobump...

Who still loving their modded DSL100H?

Any new mods discovered?