NUCD!

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I got a free used MG 4x12 cab today thanks to @Roag Jones for updating his 2 year old thread a few days ago otherwise I'd have been S.O.L.

Early in the thread he said that he lived in the middle of nowhere northern NY. Well, that's where I live. Problem is, most people call anything from Albany upwards northern NY so I figured he was at least 2 or 3 hours away.

Turns out, he's only an hour and a half away. Due to my failing health and an owed favor, a buddy was kind enough to take the treck, inspect it, and bring it back to me.

Sure it's a little beat up, but that was disclosed within the first couple messages. It's mostly cosmetic. What isn't cosmetic, is a simple fix.

I know it's just saw dust board but I didn't have anymore 4x12s or any money so I'm happy to have this.

I haven't put any speakers in it yet but there's a mockup below. It looks a bit funny because the cab is skinnier than the head but I don't give a rats ass. I think it looks better than my old homemade 2x12. Hopefully when all is said and done it'll sound good too.

Either way, I saved it from the burn pit and there's a use for it, even if it's not for my Marshalls.

Thanks Roag Jones! Take care buddy.

Cheers!

IMG_20220809_225113285~3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool find . 4x12 makes life a little better sounding for sure . Sometimes life works it self out in a nice way.

NY state is great and I have never had any problems traveling thru there. Lots of good gear around there also.

What are you gonna put in there with speakers?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Cool find . 4x12 makes life a little better sounding for sure . Sometimes life works it self out in a nice way.

NY state is great and I have never had any problems traveling thru there. Lots of good gear around there also.

What are you gonna put in there with speakers?

Not sure if I'm going to get another pair of v30s and load it with those and the two I already have or maybe I'll try a pair of cream back 75s like Roag had. He said it sounded good so I might try that.

Any suggestions?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm going to get another pair of v30s and load it with those and the two I already have or maybe I'll try a pair of cream back 75s like Roag had. He said it sounded good so I might try that.

Any suggestions?
My DSL20 cabs have a V30 & a T-75.
I think it's a nice pairing for the DSL.
Same set in my 212 for the JCA20HV.
But, I have no firsthand knowledge of creambacks, so that may be even better. :shrug:
Just a suggestion, T-75 are cheaper...

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Yes, the standard 1960A/B - and they are also stock in the standard 1936 cabs.
Thanks, the reason I asked is because I'm looking at getting a used stock 1960 B cab locally for 4 or 5 hundred.

I know, I know, I just said yesterday that I don't have any money. :rolleyes:

If I end up getting it I'll throw my 2 v30s in it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the reason I asked is because I'm looking at getting a used stock 1960 B cab locally for 4 or 5 hundred.

I know, I know, I just said yesterday that I don't have any money. :rolleyes:

If I end up getting it I'll throw my 2 v30s in it.
That's not a bad price for 4 speakers....

Reaction score
Do you like those white Celestion alnico creambacks? I have 2 that have a total of 10 minutes use on them. Not my thing . I need to see if they where 8 or 16 ohm . Gotta dig thru some stuff to locate them.

Are you looking for 16 ohm speakers only?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Do you like those white Celestion alnico creambacks? I have 2 that have a total of 10 minutes use on them. Not my thing . I need to see if they where 8 or 16 ohm . Gotta dig thru some stuff to locate them.

Are you looking for 16 ohm speakers only?

I've never heard them in person that I know of, just stating what RJ said about the cab he gave me. Not sure if I should try them or not. I really love my 2x12 v30 cab so I was going to order 2 more but am also thinking about other speakers to use in an X pattern.

My speakers are 16 ohm so I'd want more of the same for wiring purposes.