NSD: Celestion Vintage 30

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by lucidspoon, Jan 11, 2012.

1. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Well-Known Member

I got the Vintage 30 I ordered today. :dude: I had it shipped to work, so I brought my guitar and amp to give it a test run.

[​IMG]

As mentioned here, while I plan on upgrading all my cheap Celestions to Vintage 30s and GT12-75s eventually, I can't justify spending much money to do it right now (or a year and a half ago when I created that thread...), but when I saw I could use my credit card reward points to get a speaker, I jumped on it. I'm sure replacing 1 of the 4 speakers in my Marshall 4x12 won't make much difference in overall sound, but I figure it'll making recording quality a lot better if I'm just micing that speaker. Plus, once I'm comfortable spending money on music stuff again, I'll just need to grab a 1960 cab from Craigslist and just buy one more Vintage 30 to get a good X pattern going. :dude: Then, my 2x12 can get the extra GT12-75s.

So far, my impressions on the Vintage 30 are pretty awesome! I haven't been able to crank it, since there's another business down the hall, but what I've heard I've loved! The first thing that I noticed was that my lows seemed kind of muddied, so I turned the bass down and turned up the treble. I already keep my mids pretty high, but just that change of bass and treble really brought out the sound. I'm guessing that Vintage 30s are better about getting good sound without the bass, since they're primarily for mids, so I'll just have to experiment with my EQ settings to account for that.

I almost don't want to put it in my 4x12, since I'll probably only be able to hear it when it's mic'd and I'm using headphones to monitor. But if I got a 1x12 box to put it in, I'd only be able to use it with my Blackstar, and I really want to push it like it should be with a Marshall! :dude:

2. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

When you put it in the cab, youll likely find that it is more efficient than the Rockets, so you may well hear it quite clearly even though it is just 1 out of 4

3. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

You won't get any good sounds using any speaker like the picture. It needs a baffle at least to not cancel out your bass. Even if you got a single board and cut a hole for the speaker, it would sound better than what you got going there. And it definitely won't sound like it should.

4. lucidspoon

Well, of course I'm not going to continue to play it like it is in the picture. I just wanted to try it out in my office before taking it home and didn't want to bring a cabinet in. I'm going to put it in my 4x12 at first. If I don't notice much difference due to the 3 old speakers, I might put it in my 2x12 and just use my Blackstar to run just that half of the 2x12.

5. SmokeyDopey

SmokeyDopey Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice! congrats

6. lucidspoon

I just put it in my 4x12 and did a comparison recording between the Rocket 50s and the Vintage 30. It sounds great when recording with it or monitoring with headphones. Just listening to all the speakers together, you ant really tell a difference.

I put my cab face down in my basement to try to crank my DSL to start breaking it in. I got up to full gain and about 10:00 on the volume on OD2. I came upstairs to ask my wife how loud it was, since she was studying. It was loud enough to be annoying her, so I'll wait till another time to crank it... Hehe.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  7. soundfox

soundfox New Member

Vintage 30's will definitely get some firepower out of the cab! Congrats on the speaker! I've yet to break mine in that much..

8. lucidspoon

Here's the recording I did last night: Vintage 30 Test

The first part is clean through one of the three remaining Rocket 50s. The second part (starting about 0:20) is clean through the Vintage 30. The third part (starting about 0:48) is high gain through the Rocket 50. The forth part (starting abuot 1:14) is high gain through the Vintage 30. All parts were recorded with my Blackstar HT-20, and I didn't change any settings other than switching between the two channels and moving the microphone from one speaker to the other.

The recording itself isn't that great, because I set the input level too high, so it starts clipping with the Vintage 30, since it's louder. Plus, I didn't try to block any of the room reverb. I'm in the process of building my first bass trap in order to not have to use a blanket... :applause:

9. Nebulozny

Nebulozny Active Member

Those suckers are really loud, since I've been using them with my DSL my @home volume has been turned down for real, they just have more power and you notice that first time you fire them up.
    Also for the first time my Treble is at 12 o clock, before it was almost turned off, so it was a drastic change for me and amazing improvement.

10. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Nice sounds. Can you explain how to make a bass trap?

11. lucidspoon

I think there was a link that someone posted somewhere. I can't remember if this is the same one, but this is the DIY I'm following: http://www.basstraps.net/DIY-BASS-TRAPS-MADE-EASY.pdf

I don't think I got the right wood or insulation, so my first one's not going to turn out very good, but I figured the best way to get better is to just do it. It cost about $25 for the supplies for one, but I'm sure if you buy in bulk you can get it down cheaper.