NPD - Wampler Ego Mini Compressor

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by GuitarIV, Dec 6, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

What's up everyone,

I found this little fella used online and snagged it:

20191205_124842.jpg

The previous owner bought it as a backup for his main compressor pedal but never used it so this thing is basically new.

I've been thinking about adding compression to my pedalboard for quite a while now because my cleans sounded a bit weak, I play a JCM 2000 DSL 100 with my band and since I mainly EQ the Red channel to sound good (we play mostly old school Hard Rock covers) the Green channel that I use for cleans naturally suffers from the shared EQ.

So I got it yesterday just in time before band practice, put it on my board and tried it out.

I must say I am really impressed. The blend knob on this thing lets you dial in the processed sound as much as you need to and still leaves you with the option of retaining your unprocessed tone to not completely kill dynamics. The 2 minitoggles are simple and do their job, maybe less versatile than the full grown Ego but for my purposes the simpler approach is better. I like to plug in and play, I'm not a fan of tweaking all the time.

Two applications I used it for with the band is "Another Brick in the Wall" where I play the clean strumming parts and for that it really helped to make the chords pop and sound fuller in the mix. We also play "Road Back Home" by Zakk Wylde where I play the intro piano part on guitar and for that again it made me stand out more. Add some Chorus and you have a lovely and jangly clean tone.

Now the third song the Ego was really crucial for is David Bowies "Heroes", or rather the Hollywood Vampires version of it. You have that sustaining and droning lead line in the background that carries the whole song and we checked out some live vids where an EBow was used for that.

Since I don't own one what I would do is switch to my lead channel and fiddle with my Delay pedal to have notes repeat longer, stand in front of my amp until I got the feedback.

No need for that anymore with the Compressor. I just hit it on with my lead sound and I can be 5 meters away from the amp, I get the harmonic singing endless sustain that carries through the whole song. Awesome!

I also tested it out at home alone with some clean and lightly overdriven tones. It really helps to get those long sustaining notes, clean it's like Gilmours sound, lightly overdriven it gives you great BB King style leads with warm and buttery singing leads. How I have lived without this effect so far is beyond me.

Also big kudos to the small dimensions. I have a TC Electronics Spark Mini, the Mini Polytune and now the Ego Mini, I am seriously tempted to build an all Mini effects pedalboard so I have less weight in my hands I need to lug around. Just because it's small doesn't mean it sounds bad! :D

It fit right in between my SD-1 and my Tuner:

20191205_151102.jpg

So yeah, that's it. I am very happy with this purchase, I will fiddle around with it some more but the Wampler Ego Mini is a great pedal. If you have never used a compressor pedal before, give it a shot. I sure know now what I have been missing out on.

Cheers!

2. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

HNPD! I have one as well, I'm sure you'll love it!

GuitarIV likes this.
  3. Amadeus91

Amadeus91 Active Member

Wampler makes good stuff.

GuitarIV likes this.
  4. Peter McAteer

Peter McAteer Active Member

Happy New Compressor day! Looks like you picked a great one. I felt the same way about 'knowing what I was missing' the first time I tried my Keeley compressor. Enjoy It!

GuitarIV likes this.
  5. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

@OP: I don't have one, but I've heard good things about it. Hope it serves you well.

GuitarIV likes this.
  6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

its a Wampler. why shouldnt you be? lol
    from my understanding the Wampler has been the best selling comp
    on the market since it came out.

GuitarIV likes this.
  7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

im convinced that Wampler is the best bang going right now.
    nothing left to be desired in any of their offerings.
    Thank You Brian for all that you do for us.

GuitarIV likes this.
  8. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Just added an Exotic SP Compressor yesterday. Although it works great I probably would have went with EGO since it’s so well recommended here.

GuitarIV likes this.
  9. krunchy

krunchy New Member

I have the large version of the Ego and as far as compressors go Wampler makes one of the best. I'm not a big compressor fan and had sworn them off for the most part but the Ego is very musical and a good tool to have in the arsenal. Love mine!