NPD - Radial Engineering Cab-Link

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by BRMarshall, Jun 5, 2020.

1. BRMarshall

BRMarshall Member

Received my Radial Engineering Cab-Link today. It is useful for linking (duh) two same ohm cabs to a single amp output. I have a Marshall Origin 20H and two 1x12 (8 ohm cabs: Celestion Greenback 25w and V-Type). This allows me to connect the two cabs and the amp output in series creating a 16 ohm load. It seems to work exactly as it should and seems to be solid/well built. There is an option to input in parallel that will half whatever your speaker impedances are. I hope that awareness of this product may be helpful to someone else searching for a solution to the same problem. I found that in my limited experience that I like the tone of the two speakers together more than each individually.

Trumpet Rider likes this.
  2. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

yea, those pedals are pretty expensive. they also make a bunch of other pedals like that that help you mix cab or heads. They even make a pedal that lets you swap between heads into one cab. they also make nice effects-loops pedals.

I don't know which one you bought, but they used to make a Cabbone which is for one head switching between two cabs PLUS it has a latching and momentary option which is cool. It's discontinued (I don't know why) but you can still get them used for about $400.

With the one you bought, couldn't you just use a Y-cable (since no switching is involved)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Radial is good stuff. Made in Canada.

BRMarshall likes this.
  4. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

It's difficult to get good strain relief when you have two cables connected to one jack. So Y-cables are usually pretty flimsy. For speaker connections (especially series) I prefer robust solutions.

I make my own junction boxes. Plastic box (strong enough to step on), 3 jacks, a few inches of wire, about $12.
    20200606_090658~2.jpg

Back when I had bunches of cabs I built a bigger one that had both series and parallel connections that could do everything the Cab-Link does. But currently I just need parallel. (At one point this one was a series box -- I just reconnected the wires to convert it).

But Radial makes high quality, rugged, durable stuff. It'll last a lifetime, and if someday you no longer need it, it has resale value. If you don't already own a drill and a soldering iron, buying those to DIY puts you close to the cost of the Cab-Link.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Dogs of Doom and BRMarshall like this.
  5. BRMarshall

BRMarshall Member

RLW59, I had considered trying to put together a box, as you have done. I really only needed the series wiring option. It seems like just using the +/- posts on the jacks to series wire them like a 2 speaker cab. However, I'm not very good with a soldering iron - can do it, but it's pretty sloppy and frustrating for me. Your box looks very good!

I've thought about the materials cost and labor involved in creating a parallel or series only box. I wasn't able to locate one commmercially in my admittedly limited search. May be a business opportunity for an entrepreneur. It does seem like it would be a box, 3 jacks, and descent wire. Hmmm.

6. BRMarshall

BRMarshall Member

Gutch220, I don't know if a Y-cable would work or not because I don't know how it would affect the impedance. The Origin seems to want a single 8 ohm, one 16 ohm, or two 16 ohm loads. I'm sure there's folks here who would know, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. I was able to get the Cab-Link for $80 which is considerably more than a y-cable.

7. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Most Y cables are parallel, and most are shielded and only usable for guitar/preamp level signals.

There are some specialty companies that sell speaker series y cables. Looked at a google hit and they wanted $46 for a short one.

Obviously cheaper if you make your own y cable. But I find soldering plugs more difficult than soldering jacks, and a series cable would have a floating connection (2 wires soldered together, not connected to a plug, that has to be well insulated so you'd want shrink tubing and a heat gun).

And for any diy speaker cable/box, you'd want to test with a voltmeter before risking your amp.

I enjoy making things, and I've already got the tools and experience. Radial makes quality, worry-free stuff. $80 for a box that would survive being tossed off the roof of a building seems like a better deal to me than a $46 cable that might not survive getting yanked on.

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

Radial makes stuff you didn't know you needed. Of course you like two speakers better than one. Two speakers moves more air than one. Four speakers moves more air than two. And so on.

9. BRMarshall

BRMarshall Member

The apparent sturdiness of the Radial box and the solid feel to the jacks does instill confidence that it was the right choice. RLW59, your take on spending the extra money on the advantages of the Radial cab-link is spot on.

dro, agree with your take that 2 speakers move more air than one and so on. What I was referring to in this case was the blending of the tones of the Greenback and V-Type. I really don't play loud, which is maybe somewhat uncommon on the Marshall forum, partly because I'm in my late 50's, with only some hearing loss and as of yet no tinnitus.

Before the cab-link, I had an A/B switcher so could switch between two cabs (I built the cabinets almost identically - only a very slight difference in the baffles' slant angle). Each speaker has its own voice and different heads usually sounded better with a particular speaker. With the perceived volume the same, I like the blended tone of the two speakers together more than that of either individually.