NPD: Keely Monterey... Hendrix in a box?

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've been curious to own a Keeley Monterey for awhile now and when one popped up used at my LGC I traded some dusty pedals.

The build and finish looks fantastic with a homage to Jimi's painted Monterey strat. It feels solid and well built with a nice symmetrical control lay out... I generally can care less how a pedal looks but I have to admit this does look "special".

Fuzz:
We have a vintage silicon Fuzz circuit which I am going to guess is or at least based on a Fuzz face circuit. It states vintages silicon fairchild transistors are used in the circuit. The fuzz is bright and clear with lots of that silicon bite! It is actually one of the better silicon fuzzes I've ever owned and find it extremely usable. It behaves so well and has clear and articulate note seperation even with a heavy amount of fuzz dialed in. It's clear and cuts thru a mix with a singing quality that sustains fantastically! It covers Jimi's '69-'70 fuzz tone very well 👌.

UniVibe:
Here we have a simple to use Univibe with the ability to dial in speed and depth. It captures the spirt and "vibe" of the legendary effect. I feel Uni Vibes are one of the hardest effects to accurately replicate the sound and feel of so for what this is I think it's pretty good. It's one of the better Univibes I've played but nothing compares to the photocell style reproductions. This Univibe sets the mood and is very fun to use with a expression pedal. Paired with the fuzz you can get some classic Hendrix/Trower tones.

Leslie:
This is probably my favorite effect in the pedal and one of the best Leslie sims I've ever played. It nails the sound of the Leslie cab, it captures the swirl of the bottom and top horn speaker. You can adjust how much top/treble speaker mixed with the lower portion, effect intensity and speed. This pedal is just a blast and reminds me so much of playing thru a real Leslie... Now don't get me wrong, NOTHING can replicate the 3D effect of a real Leslie speaker but this sounds faithful to how a Leslie would sound recorded. I love this effect and believe it's one of the greatest parts of the pedal.

Wah:
Ok the wah sucks, straight blunt honesty! It sounds like a typical modern product Crybaby with more of a "WoW" than a "Wah". Using it with the expression pedal is difficult, there is an obvious response delay between the expression pedal and wah effect. It does sound good when used more as just a cocked wah tone especially paired with the fuzz... It's actually pretty damn good as a cocked wah effect, the frequency cuts a lot more than my real Wahs. It also works as an evenlope filter that sounds and reacts great, sounds very funky. It also works as a "harmonic" wah and can give you an almost tremolo effect... kinda fun to experiment with.

Octave:
One of the more disappointing aspects of the pedal... It's not an Octavia! Now I knew this prior to getting the pedal but I just find it silly it wasn't included. The octave effect feels like a throw in feature that I see on a lot of pedals these days. My MXR reverb has the same feature too... Add either lower octave or higher octave to Fuzz, Univibe or Wah... Eh kinda gimmicky and doubt I'll really use it. I admit I've really enjoyed adding a lower octave to the fuzz for some heavy and dirty riffs... Eh a Gimmick imo.

So in the end? I like it a lot! It's definitely Jimi in a box and gets you close to everything you need to replicate most of Jimi's tones. I'll say the Foxrox Captain Coconut is the better "Jimi in a box" but for the price the Keeley Monterey is a fun and fantastic pedal. I wished the wah had a different voice/sweep but I'll continue to use my vintage vox and crybabies anyways. I also wished it had an Octavia, I imagine it came down to price as to why that effect was left out.

Best effects: Silicon Fuzz and Leslie

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
doing good. was starting to wonder what you were up to man.
ive sent a few PM's to some of the MIA here lately myself.
you were on the list. glad your doing ok bro.
I was starting to stress haha I didn't want to worry anyone around here. Life has been crazy lately but I've manage to ground myself with guitar once again. I realized I have to play every day to clear the head! Anyways, definitely missed this place and everyone here.

Latest posts