NPD - Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by pedecamp, Nov 19, 2020.

1. freefrog

freefrog Member

Awe, désolé compatriote, I was actually talking about a V1.2. :)

I sympathize with your tinkering: the only OCD still in my possession is a home made clone passed through various avatars (V1.1 to V1.4, with diodes instead of the transistors for a while, and so on). For the moment, it's a slightly tweaked V1.4.

Regarding the buffer: to be honest, I've found non buffered versions rather moody with some other pedals like a TC Flashback and had to add a buffer in between (before to get rid of the Flashback, finally)... So, I can understand why Fulltone has released the (actual) V2. :)

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Hey I have a slightly used one what do you have to trade!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Héhé, frogs unite !
    Regarding the buffer, I prefer buffered pedals as well. It's the fact it's a phase-inverting one that bothers me tbh. There might be technical reasons for doing it, but as a soundguy I'm always wary of anything that flips polarity.

freefrog likes this.
  4. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

I have only tried/bought one. It's a 70s fuzz. Maybe I should have got the 60s. Germanium vs Silicone I seem to recall. Both got good reviews. I find it only ok. Maybe I'm just not into fuzz so much. Or maybe it's user error.
    No kidding, after playing guitar for about 40 years never had a fuzz until a couple years ago.

On the topic of ODs- I chanced onto one these Digitechs and have been pleasantly surprised. They tend to be a bit pricey though.
    [​IMG]

5. pedecamp

So I'm finding I like to use the OCD as a clean boost on a dirty amp, current favorite setting is LP mode, volume and tone at noon, drive off. Also like the HP mode set similar except with volume around 10 oclock. This pedal has so much gain it might be better through a clean amp but thats ok I never play a clean amp. So far so good! :yesway:

6. mallcorn

mallcorn New Member

I bought the first version one week before they were publicly released only because I could. I hadn't heard it yet but was told it was that good. I still use it on my board. It sounds great with every amp I have used it with including Deluxe Reverb, Z-Lux, JCM800 2204, 1987x, and my favorite amp 1959HW. I later bought a version 2 that my grown son uses with his Hot Rod Deville. Yes, I do own Klon KTR, Suhr Koko Boost, EP Boost, King of Tone, BE-OD Deluxe, and Revival Drive. They all provide some type of tasteful "seasoning" but my favorite combination (not stacking) is the Revival Drive and OCD.

Don Felder uses one with his Deluxe Reverb if that tells you anything. Just a great pedal.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  7. Breakfastime

Breakfastime New Member

I am pretty convinced that Fulltone makes the very best stuff, and the OCD is essential for any 'lectric guitarist. Recently got the Germanium version, fell in love all over again...

pedecamp likes this.
  8. Musicmaniac

Musicmaniac Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to try one but could never figure which version to buy. :rofl:If somebody knows what's the best version please let me know.:naughty:

9. pedecamp

Read the descriptions and watch the videos is the only way to decide. In my opinion they are all an eq turn to sounding pretty much the same. :yesway:

WellBurnTheSky and steveb63 like this.
  10. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

Build it :)

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  11. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

12. richie43

richie43 New Member

I just tried the new version (as well as the OCD with the germanium). Both are much better to my ears than any of the other iterations.

13. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Well, after @pedecamp and @WellBurnTheSky comments on this thread, when I saw a used OCD V2 come up for a good price used, I jumped on it. Only had a brief play with it and I'm suffering from bad tinitus today after working on my old car yesterday. :erk: I like what it does though; seems very touch sensitive and I was able to play our set list with a 'close enough' sound for most songs. While I don't want to have to reach down to fiddle with gain and volume mid gig, it just shows what range it covers.

I'm going to put it on a very small board (Nano+) for gigging, with a limited number of other pedals...as that's all I'll need. :)

15. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Man I remember spending a good year or two searching out the best OD pedal. I tried MOST of all the well known ones... all of the Tubescreamers new and old...HW..Maxon ...etc.. in the end.. The Fulltone FD2... It's the BEST imo... Musician's Friend almost cut off my returns! lol I even tried I believe the OCD...it just wasn't as clear.. The FD2..man it has the goods... 18v output for tons of headroom...quiet, can be very transparent...like a clean boost...but dial in some OD tone it just has *that* sound... pairs perfectly with a Marshall. Build quality is excellent...even the paint job, and lastly, really wasn't all that expensive; like $130 new... and well worth it.

Done looking for OD pedals.

Congrats on the pedal dude!

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  16. pedecamp

The FD2 is a good pedal, a few years ago I brought one home and an OCD to do a side by side comparison and the OCD won but returned them both cuz they didnt offer all that much more than other pedals I already had. I liked the OCD but couldn't justify the expense so trading for one made the most sense and I'm very happy I did. :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your trade they seem to be very well loved pedals..
    Cheers

MarshallDog, steveb63 and pedecamp like this.
  18. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have a new old stock one. Tried it a bit. I like it but it has not made the cut at this time but it is a great sounding pedal.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Lo-Tek and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. Rozman62

Rozman62 Well-Known Member

Been using my 1.7 for the last 3 years. It's in my gig bag and used at every band rehearsal. I mostly use it to boost leads. I use the LP mode, volume about 2/3 up, gain near off, tone straight up. It works well with all my amps...especially my Friedman and Dr Z amps. Certainly have got my use out of this $70 pedal.

pedecamp likes this.