NPD - Fulltone OCD

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by pedecamp, Nov 19, 2020.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I swapped a pedal I wasnt using for a Fulltone OCD v.1.7 its a 2017, nice pedal I always wanted to own one, I have borrowed them before and always liked them. Looks great sounds great, gonna have to kick something off my pedalboard to fit this one but I'm not sure what. This pedal does a full sweep from light OD to full on distortion and its quiet too, its got the HP and LP switch thats supposed to emulate British and American tone stacks, they both sound good. Anybody else share the love for this pedal? And thanks to @Travis398 for the trade. :yesway:

[​IMG]

2. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Good score, I think mine is a v1.4. Works well with everything I send it to, transparent enough for me.

3. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I dig'em, never owned one though, prolly should get me one to go with my pile of dirt boxes.

Barfly, pedecamp and FracStrat like this.
  4. houseofrock

houseofrock Well-Known Member

Never tried the OCD but I do have a couple of Fulltone pedals.
    They never disappoint.

5. fat_lenny

fat_lenny Well-Known Member

Ive got a cheap clone that I love, on the hunt for an actual Fulltone OCD. Ive used an original, just dont own one.

Can not say enough good things about this pedal.

pedecamp likes this.
  6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I was looking at these recently and watching videos to try to compare. How does it compare with other pedals such as Klon, Tube Screamer, Timmy and RAT (4 pedals I have versions/clones of)? Would there be any point adding it to my board?

pedecamp likes this.
  7. pedecamp

I've always recommended this pedal to people that dont already own pedals, the OCD could easily take the place of all your pedals but it wont bring you anything new. I could never justify spending the money on an OCD since I have a small collection of OD pedals that do the same thing, trading was a good way for me to get one.

Mitchell Pearrow and KelvinS1965 like this.
  8. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

Glad you are enjoying it, as it used to collect dust on the shelf. Post a picture when you get it mounted on the pedal board.

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Gain-wise, it sits in the middle of these.
    I have little experience with the Klon, so I won't compare, but as for the rest, here's my take on this:
    - OCD vs TS: OCD has more gain and compression on tap (depends on versions though), but lives in a different place in the mids. The TS is more centered on higher midrange, while the OCD is fatter in the low-mids, which gives it a more modern character.
    - OCD vs Timmy: to my ear the Timmy is a "flatter" TS, it sits somewhere between the edge and grit of the SD-1 and the smoother character of the TS (which has less top end content basically), but with a less pronounced mid bump. Compared to the Timmy, the OCD is a bit fatter, again a bump in the low mids, but conversely can be fuzzier at high gain pot settings (depends on the OCD version though, to me the v1.3 clones I've built are smoother and not as fuzzy as later version with asymetrical clipping and even less than the ones with Ge diodes).
    - OCD vs RAT: the RAT is squishier and a bit tubby/nasal by comparison, while the OCD can sound a bit "bloated" because of the low-mids bump, again depending on the version and your settings.

I've built several clones of all those (also own a Maxon OD9, which basically is a true bypass TS-9) and A/Bed them several times both in front of my DSL100 on clean (ish)and my Studio Vintage head (which is set for crunch, both volumes at 7-ish), as well as the DSL100 on Lead1 with gain at noon (so heavy crunch, think dimed 2203).
    Of all of those, my favorites are: Timmy with clean DSL, TS with crunchy DSL and v1.3 OCD with the SV. Being a Nuno fan, I tried the RAT in front of the DSL on Lead 1 (that's what he uses) but didn't like it as much as the TS-9, it sounded too mushy and squishy for my taste (but I use different pickups, and have a different right hand attack).
    The Timmy is very good in front of the SV (I also like the Barber Direct Drive clone I built for this, as well as a modded OD1), I just prefer the OCD as it seems to work very well with my rig in filling the low mids and makes the rig sound "girthy".

Of course, those are all personal observations based on my playing, my tastes and my rig, so you mileage definitely might differ. But the OCD definitely is a different OD/distortion than the others.

10. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

Congrats on your OCD score! I've had mine for nine years now, no issues at all.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  11. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Congrats, I just bought the latest version early this year. I had one that was maybe 10 years old. This new one sounds amazing to me. I have switched it on and off my PB trying other ODs but it always makes it way back on and its there to stay now!

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  12. pedecamp

I gotta figure out if I'm gonna bump the TS9, MXR Wylde OD, or the Rat, TS9 I probably use the least. Plus I have a 2nd pedalboard not put together yet I'd be able to fit everything between the two and connect them both together into a big pedalboard, this is what I'll probably do eventually. Heres a shot of my pedalboard made out of old laptop cases LOL. :yesway:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  13. pedecamp

There's so many variables in sculping tone the main ones being amp settings, guitar pickups, speakers, pedal settings, makes a pedal totally different between different players. :yesway:

14. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

@WellBurnTheSky thanks for your in depth reply. Very useful (and apologies to @pedecamp for dragging your NPD off piste :)). That's a neat idea with the old laptop bag for the pedals.

I never used to use pedals much until I joined a covers band and then seemed to find I needed various ones. Even some that might seem in the same ballpark; it's handy having one set differently (like light crunch verses heavier distortion) so I don't need to fiddle with settings mid gig.

15. freefrog

freefrog Member

For those who'd want to try: a 2,2nF instead of the first coupling cap did set the low-mids bump to my liking in a V2 OCD.

Of course and as always, YMMV. :)

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  16. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Definitely depends on the amp, cab and how you set everything up. 3 years ago I was swearing by the OD9 and would have told you, it was the last pedal to go off my board...and the the SV happened, and now I'm barely using it, to the point that I strongly consider getting off the live board (that isn't getting much used these days anyway, with the pandemic). Though I still prefer it to pretty much everything else for recording, and with the SV close to dimed. So...yeah.

This ! And that's the reason why I'm increasingly wary of blanket statements on gear, as we all hear things differently and dial things up differently, which makes any given piece of equipment sound vastly different from one rig to the next.

Good call ! Though I honestly didn't need to tweak that much on mine. My 1st one is a perfboard v1.3 clone that's 100% identical to the original circuit. 2nd one is on PCB (Aion Electronics, great PCBs), and started its life as a 18v v1.4, that I then reverted to v1.3 value, as the asymmetrical clipping (with Ge diode) and a few different values (including the gain pot that I brought back to 1M) didn't work for me. It also had a 3 position clipping switch (LEDs/no clipping/mosfet clipping), but I mostly stick to mosfet clipping (I love LED clipping in distortion usually, just not in as much as mosfets in that particular circuit), and a 3-position switch for the HP/LP filtering, the third offering an intermediate point between the two (I adjust it depending on the room basically).
    I might do a v2 at one point, but I'm kinda wary of the inverting buffer for some reason.

pedecamp likes this.
  17. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

An OCD is one of those pedals that will always live on my board.
    [​IMG]

18. pedecamp

Which year and version do you have?

19. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the year off the top of my head, but its a 1.4 version.

20. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

All this OCD talk makes me wish I had one :hmm:

Mitchell Pearrow, Barfly and pedecamp like this.