NPD! Friedman Golden Pearl

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Ian Alderman, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Ian Alderman

Ian Alderman Well-Known Member

Delayed by a couple days of seemingly endless jamming, the Golden Pearl is the perfect compliment to the Marshall Studio Classic. I love how it doesn't chop off the bass or boost the mids but adds some nice saturation to the tone, without any harshness involved. For awhile I'd really like an overdrive pedal and then there would always be something. Not enough low end, too much fizzy sizzle up top... Always something that felt off about whatever it was that I was using. In the 20w mode, and cranking up the volume the sound and feel of Tool's Undertow record was there. It sounds and feels somewhere between Adam Jones and Jerry Cantrell. In 5w mode, there seems to be an aggression that I really like. Can't put my finger on it, but it's there. Overall, I have a feeling that I might possibly be done. For me, I've found the perfect compliment for my JCM800 jr combo.

Attached Files:

2. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Congrats on your NPD!! :dude:

3. Marshall4Metal

Marshall4Metal Well-Known Member

Those Friedman pedals are well made quality components and great tone. I have the BE-OD it hasn't left my chain since I got it about I guess 2 years ago now. It's my go to overdrive for all my amps. I have no doubt that Golden Pearl sounds great.

4. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

Congrats! It's such a great pedal. I used to do product videos for a retailer, and one of the videos I did was on the Golden Pearl. Totally fell in love with it. I loved it into a dirty amp, and if you crank the snot out of the pedal, it'll turn a clean amp into a really musical gain machine. Enjoy it!

5. Ian Alderman

I agree that it's a well made pedal for sure! Usually by now I'm posting quick clips and pics on Instagram, but I've been enjoying the pedal way too much which is a good sign. I feel like it's going to be a big part of my tone for a VERY long time. And it absolutely LOVES the Marshall Studio Classic!

Mitchell Pearrow and stringtree like this.
  6. Ian Alderman

I don't have a super clean amp to test the Golden Pearl that way, but through the Marshall Studio Classic it rules. I'm surprised that there aren't more videos demoing it. I might have to change that. I saw the Pete Thorn video and Boynton Pro Audio demo, and I haven't got around to it but Henning Pauly did a super long video of it going into different amps. I'm definitely enjoying it and I've got a feeling that I'll be enjoying it for a very long time to come! Cheers!

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

friedman makes killer dirt pedals. enjoy

8. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

I shot that video for Boynton :)

Definitely post a video if you do one! It's a cool pedal that seems like it snuck in under the radar.

9. Ian Alderman

That's pretty cool! I definitely watched that video several times before pulling the trigger.

I said in the Studio Classic thread that I feel like I have as close as possible to having a Friedman modified Marshall without having to send the amp in to Dave. Being both a Cantrell and Adam Jones fan, this is something I really appreciate. Especially knowing that the Superbass amps Adam uses were in fact modified by Dave Friedman to Superlead spec.

I like being able to juice the Marshall Studio Classic with the Golden Pearl, and then being able to go back to stock tones, whether rolling back the volume on my guitar for cleans or leaving the volume knobs up for that JCM crunch. Altogether it makes for a very flexible rig.

When I post clips, I'll likely put them up over on the growing Studio Classic thread, so come on over and check it out when you get the chance!

Nitrobattery and stringtree like this.
  10. Ian Alderman

Thanks man! I agree with everything Pete says in this video. I actually own the Naked Overdrive as well and while I like it, there's something about the Golden Pearl that I love. It's probably the Hi-cut switch that allows a little more control over the top, that the Naked does not have.

stringtree likes this.
  11. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Congratulations on your new pedal
    Ian ,, clips when you get the chance brother.
    Mitch

Ian Alderman and stringtree like this.
  12. SuperFleeky

SuperFleeky Member

I finally got around to getting a Golden Pearl, and I agree 100%; it's a perfect match for a crunchy Marshall. It's tight and preserves the best parts of the Marshall tone (mostly transparent), but has this hint of color that brings out the best of a crunchy 2203, Studio Classic, and even my 1987. I never would have thought my Morning Glory would have been topped, but I did a shoot out between the Friedman and JHS, and the Friedman was every so slightly tighter and sweeter.

Out of the Friedman amps (Pink Taco, Dirty Shirly, and Small Box) and pedals (BE and DS) I've used, the Golden Pearl is the least Friedman sounding; which is a good thing for me. The Golden Pearls is more open and dynamic. If you are looking for something to give your Marshal that little extra bite, the Golden Pearl is definitely worth a listen.

13. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I just had to return one that had a defective drive pot, very scratchy, but the replacement was perfect.

I like how you can seriously hit the front with so much volume, I can't even use but about half the volume on this thing, which is good because most OD's need more volume IME, to really push the amp.
    I bet those with NMV amps will love the GP.

14. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

dsl would you say this pedal is geared to a more modern rock sound than say a 70's rock sound. Some demos I watched there was a lot of hard rock being played...I mean is the GP more of a JCM 800 sounding pedal or a SLP sounding pedal ?
    BP

15. mad5066

mad5066 Active Member

The pearl has yellow symmetric LEDs so that contributes to so much volume on tap.

dslman likes this.
  16. dslman

dslman Well-Known Member

I'd say more of a SLP voice, it doesn't have that fizzy gain like most OD's , and is primarially used to be an extention of whatever amp it's used on. I hear a touch of the Friedman "somewhat darker" tone , but it isn't a dark pedal. Many tonal options that have nice clarity, and dynamics.
    I think being able to actually "use" the drive pot on the pedal , while pushing a dirty amp, allows the amp, and pedal to work better together.

BanditPanda likes this.
  17. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks dsl. Well I just made an offer on one of them!
    Hope it turns out.
    BP
    Edit: Offer refused. Just as well. Wasn't convinced I needed one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020