NPD, Fender Engager Boost

speyfly

Reaction score
I picked up a Fender Engager Boost yesterday on a trade for a MXR108S that I never liked. Over the last 6 months I've slowly but surely I've been reducing my need for OD's, boost's and other pedals I've acquired over the years, learning to love my amp's (Fender, Marshall, Egnater, Vox) raw natural tones. Don't get me wrong, OD's and boost's play an important roll but I hadn't found a boost pedal that I liked, (TC Audio Spark, Marshall BB II in the boost mode, Golden Horse) too much tone coloring.

It was hard to find any demo's or reviews on this pedal and the ones I found were all very positive (mostly from this and other forums user's). I've really liked the Fender Marine Layer verb that I have so I thought I would roll the dice and see what this clean boost pedal was all about.

Well, lets say this pedal is not going to leave my board any time soon and thus far, it has eliminated the need (very subjective) of 4 pedals. With its 3 band EQ it's very easy to dial it in on the fly nonmatter what guitar or amp I'm plugged into. I find the new Fender pedals are over-built, has well laid out controls, easy to adjust and rugged construction. The only thing that I don't like with all of the newer Fender pedals, the jewel indicator light is like a laser when you are standing above it so I place a piece of gray electrical tape over it to tone it down, perfect now.

If you guys are looking for a clean 20db boost pedal, I would highly recommend that you give this one a test drive, I'm confident that you will like it.

Pedalboard a.JPG Fender Boost pedal b.JPG

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
A lot of builders have been using intensely bright LED's over the last few years. I've almost been blinded when looking down a few times too! :lol:

They say it's for when playing an outdoor gig during the day. I have seen some aftermarket products for sale that reduce the brightness, but masking tape works fine for me.

Congrats on your NPD! The newer Fender pedals have recieved a lot of good reviews and are built like tanks. I like the battery door they designed for them.

junk notes

Reaction score
HNPD! hope you use and abuse it!

A lot of builders have been using intensely bright LED's over the last few years. I've almost been blinded when looking down a few times too! :lol:

They say it's for when playing an outdoor gig during the day. I have seen some aftermarket products for sale that reduce the brightness, but masking tape works fine for me.
The only thing that I don't like with all of the newer Fender pedals, the jewel indicator light is like a laser when you are standing above it so I place a piece of gray electrical tape over it to tone it down, perfect now.
Annoying, but I have posted in other threads to use a drop of black fingernail polish on top of the LED. Works really great!! Let dry repeat to shade.
I repaired a 6v lamp on a Marshall several years ago, turned on for test results and wow! nuclear! immediately removed it because you cannot use black nail polish on it! :Dlol. (I check for correct bulb and not LED types now.)

Automotive industry has been using high intensity LED's in head lights and tail lights. The red tail lights are as blinding as headlights when sitting behind a newer vehicle, at a red light. Annoying.

PelliX

Reaction score
HNPD! hope you use and abuse it!

Annoying, but I have posted in other threads to use a drop of black fingernail polish on top of the LED. Works really great!! Let dry repeat to shade.
I repaired a 6v lamp on a Marshall several years ago, turned on for test results and wow! nuclear! immediately removed it because you cannot use black nail polish on it! :Dlol. (I check for correct bulb and not LED types now.)

Automotive industry has been using high intensity LED's in head lights and tail lights. The red tail lights are as blinding as headlights when sitting behind a newer vehicle, at a red light. Annoying.

A(n extra) resistor on the LED solves it, you can generally drop in a less luminescent LED. I generally only bother when a single piece of equipment has a serious mismatch in brightness across the controls/indicators, though.