Npd Catalinbread Naga Viper Quick Review

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Trelwheen, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Just received a new Naga Viper treble booster today. It's my first treble booster. I like clean boosts, transparent ODs and all that sort of thing. I was looking forward to seeing what it is that has so many players excited about these treble boosters. I chose the Naga Viper because I have a Catalinbread SCP clean boost and love it, and because the Naga gets good reviews.

I used an Ibanez Roadstar with humbuckers into a hotrodded Fender Pro Junior, cranked to about 8 with the tone knob wide open. It gets a good solid classic rock grind, thick and meaty.

For starters, this Naga Viper is a lot more than a treble booster. With the range control I was getting all kinds of sounds, from fairly dark and cloudy at cc settings to big and clear solo tones at clockwise settings. It never got shrill or ice-picky even when I dimed the range. At all but the darkest settings it does lop off some bottom end, but that can be a good thing...and if desired you can always tweak the low end on the amp to compensate for that.

The boost control has a lot of juice. You can go from silent to massive boost. It easily ran the little PJ out of headroom when I went much past unity on the Naga, even when I backed the volume off on the amp. I'd say it's probably capable of 12db of boost.

The heat control is a cool feature. It's a medium-powered OD that adds a very classy, somewhat Tube Screamer-like hair to the signal. Used in moderation, it was fun mixing it in with the boost and shaping it with the range control. Cranking it a bit more gave me outrageous, pronounced pick attack.

All in all, it definitely impresses me. I've got lots of boosts and ODs but I don't have anything else like the Naga. I'd say it's exactly what I expected, but it's really more than that. I'll find a lot of use for this pedal here in the studio.

Cheers MFers

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    jimmyjames and solarburnDSL50 like this.
  2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

They just bring that extra ingredient to the tone soup :yesway:

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

BTW, the vendor I got the Naga from is Pitbull Audio. Not only did I save $30 off retail (I offered $150 and they accepted the offer), it also shipped with 2 high quality patch cables. The pedal arrived 2 days after I ordered.

In the box was a card stating that if you create a Pitbull account, you get a $10 instant credit plus a 5% credit on all future purchases. I'm signing up. These guys have a deep inventory.

You can find them on Reverb.com

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    jimmyjames likes this.