NPD - 78 A/DA Flanger

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by FleshOnGear, Dec 2, 2020.

1. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Got this in today. I was originally looking for something that could do thru-zero flanging so I could do an early Queen type flange sound, so this was a bit of an impulse buy. This thing sounds really rich, though. Compared to the very in-your-face sound of my Source Audio Orbital Modulator, this thing sounds 3D. I think it’s an earlier version with the Reticon chip, but I haven’t confirmed it.

2. Ken Ops

Ken Ops Member

Sweet, the real deal. I have the PBF version that apparently sounds the same, but honestly I wouldn’t know.

Trelwheen likes this.
  3. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Hell yeah

I love those things....the lead guitarist in my first serious band had one, he used to do a wild flanger intro solo into "Purple Haze". It was the first flanger I ever heard. After all those years it's still my all time favorite

4. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Good score and flanger. This would be in the same rankings of thickness and wetness, equivalent to the Roland-BOSS Chorus Ensemble CE-1, or t.c. electronic STEREO CHORUS+ PITCH MODULATOR & FLANGER.

Not necessary, but you could grab an expression pedal for the complete setup if you are into that..[​IMG]

Trelwheen likes this.
  5. renips

renips Well-Known Member

That is sweet!! I have the plugin. The real deal. What year?

6. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Oh, you got one of those freaks! Fun, i miss mine.

7. FleshOnGear

I’m pretty sure it’s from 1978. According to the internet, the circuit was revised in May of 1978 to accommodate the Panasonic bucket brigade chips, starting with S/N 227331. Mine has a serial starting with 226.

Of course, I don’t know how true that is. I’m not eager to take this thing apart to investigate, so I’m just going to believe that it’s from early ‘78 with the Reticon chip. I’m not a connoisseur of flangers like @Vesperado, but it sounds really good to me.

Trelwheen likes this.
  8. Casey_Butt

Casey_Butt Member

I'm jealous. Do you still GAS for a through-zero flanger?

9. FleshOnGear

Sort of. My Orbital Modulator does thru-zero, but its tone leaves a bit to be desired and it’s hard to dial in. It is pedal board friendly, though, so it’s not going anywhere until I get another board. I’m still trying to figure out how to incorporate the A/DA.