>

Now after all those years , I get who Randy Rhoads was !

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Sep 14, 2021.

1. DreamerDeceiver

DreamerDeceiver Well-Known Member

You have a point there. Back Sabbath was better content imo.
    His solo stuff was written for him too?

Kelia likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

yep...

Geezer wrote Black Sabbath
    Daisley wrote Blizzard of Ozz (wasn't supposed to be a solo project)

That's why, after Daisley was fired, right after Diary of A Madman, when it came to doing a new record, w/ Jake, they begged Bob back into the band. They needed someone to write lyrics...

3. DreamerDeceiver

You guys know all the dirt about the industry.

Cool unseen contraband too (to me anyway)

Kelia and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

I saw him in Boulder, CO Mackie Auditorium aka Big Mac. Ozzy looked like a buffoon walking back and forth with his "Raise Your Hands" and "We Love YOU" its ridiculous. Randy's tone always bothered me, I think he had it on the flange too much but he played with a lot of energy. I remember an announcer saying something about a truck with some of the stage gear had not arrived and they were apologetic. If that is true maybe his tone was weird because of that. The whole band did sound terrible as far not hearing well, too much reflectivity. Like even though they were in a big hall they still used reverb type bad - you know what I mean. The start was delayed and then they had to cut short because of the venue time rules. The usual bullshit. We can't have young people having a good time ya know!!

I did and still like Diary. You just can't reproduce that "live" without major sound trouble in my opinion. Same with a lot of over produced albums of that era. Sound systems that have some towers in the back for people far away helps a bunch for that.

Imagine having to live with her. Keeping that persona of a crazed madman that will eat the head of a bat on stage or whatever that darkness was they always pushed. Very fake, very bad, filled with lies and more lies to cover the lies. What do I know! Seems rough, hard, not much of a life.

5. DreamerDeceiver

I fn swear the sound guys butchered bands on purpose, or they just sucked at their jobs.....night after night.
    i know theyd butcher the opening act in fear of up staging the main attraction.

6. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

Back then the UK had a tax rate for the rich which was like 90%-95% or some crazy figure like that. Rolling Stones went into Exile. Huge tax bill. Roger Moore (James Bond) left the UK for Switzerland. Ozzy was hit with a multi-million tax bill while at the height of his Black Sabbath blackouts and leaving the band. Sharon was the one who dug him out and yeah they did it by exploiting everyone who ever worked for them by coming up with some serious rip-off contracts for them to sign. On the night/morning Randy died he told Ozzy he wanted to quit playing guitar and also that Ozzy was going to kill himself drinking several bottles of liquor a day. Strange thing to say given the timing. Randy wasn't exactly the wildest guitarist that ever lived even though he wasn't as pure as some think (he did drink and he did get into fights) but the fact it is Ozzy who is still alive is mindblowing. If he turns out to be a vampire, I wouldn't be surprised.

7. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

do some more reading. his clashes with ozzy he said was his final straw.

XTRXTR likes this.
  8. ricksdisconnected

indeed.

9. ricksdisconnected

however, he did say he wanted to explore other avenues rather than rock/metal. yes.
    i think all the bs with ozzy only helped push him even more in this direction.
    hsd he gotten the right situation he prolly would have continued his career a little longer
    or at the very leasy popped in and out of the genre.
    i often wonder what Randy thought of the coming of neoclassical? it hadent really come
    to play by the time of his passing but it was coming in just the same.

PowerTube44 likes this.
  10. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Where is Brad Gillis now? Guys that can play either get on board or exit , a machine once like a turning wheel. Now antiquated. Randy was the man , all who followed were in his wake including of course not in Ozzy's band .EVH Thing is I kind of hate Edward. Randy was ....

11. ricksdisconnected

brad is one of my fav tremolo artists lol.
    hes still working.

C-Grin likes this.
  12. ricksdisconnected

13. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Daisley’s writing was brilliant. I read that also.
    One of few other lyricist I really felt connected to. Others being Neil Peart , Bruce Dickinson.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. XTRXTR

XTRXTR Well-Known Member

I remember doing Night Ranger tunes:shred2: Those guys rocked!
    Hah ha , that little tremolo bounce trick he spoke about ...how cool, I had to learn it to do that solo. I used my pinky on the pick hand to sort of whack the trem bar, I saw some guys hitting the bridge with the edge of their hand. Nice to relive the old days.

Didn't have a keyboard player so I played that arpeggio doing a hammer on slide then pull off to the other notes on one string going down the lower frets to each position - - hey I had a member berry

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  15. shooto

shooto Well-Known Member

that guy has the absolute biggest titanium balls ...to step into the situation he did and stick it out...dang

16. ricksdisconnected

brad is the shit. go listen to Ozzy Speak of the Devil to imo hear his best work
    and the killer tomes of mesa boogie. my fav guitar album of all time. BY FAR.

17. Comfort Cove

Comfort Cove Member

Anybody paying attention knows this. Ozzy left all the business to Sharon. And so, Sharon made sure that all "side men" were paid workman's wages like any trade and that everything was taken care of and in exchange bilked considerable sums out of:
    Randy
    Brad
    Jake
    Bill Ward
    Tony Iommi
    Geezer Butler
    Bob Daisley
    Zakk Wilde
    Gus
    etc

C-Grin likes this.
  18. Im247frogs

Im247frogs Well-Known Member

I think the true genius of Randy was his writing and arranging skills. Every single track on both of the Ozzy records are practically flawless. The late 70's early 80's was sort of the rise of the shredder, but I have always been way, way more impressed w guys who shred AND can write a listenable rock song, much less a whole albums worth. There's plenty of guys from that era until til today who rip, that either got punted or quit from their primary gig and now they're mostly just personalities, hawking gear, doing game shows in Japan, playing the songs from the records they've played on 40 years ago and the have ZERO new material.

19. GGG

GGG Member

Randy is one of my greatest heroes
    His style was unique and he created a new style of Metal imo.

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I did not know that! :hmm: I think I like him even more after learning this! :cool:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.