>

Now after all those years , I get who Randy Rhoads was !

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kelia, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Thanks , I didn't know !

I like this video when the guy on the console brings down the slides only to hear Randy's solo
    and you see Ozzy get up quite disturbed just like if Randy's ghost told him to stand up and pay respect,..lol

2. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

i mean i like ozzy's albums a lot. always have. one of my fav's.
    but i will call a spade a spade just the same. if ozzy was a straight up guy he would
    randy's family some coin if ya ask me.

3. ricksdisconnected

by his inner circle, it was very clear randy was leaving ozzy after the tour no matter what. things got very tense
    between those two.

Ray Baker, Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  4. Obi Plexi-nobi

Obi Plexi-nobi Well-Known Member

The first two 'Blizzard of Ozz' albums were great, but when I saw Ozzy in that werewolf costume smiling like Benny Hill on 'Bark at the Moon', it was over for me... :shock::facepalm::orly::rolleyes:

5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Love Randy’s playing
    My buddy Delfin and I would always have a between us feud going Del EVH me RR
    But we did see him at the Swing auditorium in San Bernardino, and we were able to chat with Rudy after the show.
    I was greatly saddened when he passed.
    And I still can’t play like he did, but I still love the work he did sadly I did not see him before Blizzard of Ozz tour.

6. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Big difference is Sharon had a vendetta against Jake . They supposedly liked Randy.

7. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

She did make Ozzy do many things stage wise, show wise, etc he never really wanted to do at all. Being she is a bitch and was his manager, I place most of the blame on her. Ozzy just went along with whatever henpecking he had to. IMO. He still does.
    I cannot imagine he was involved in payment to members etc. Too screwed up at the time to be involved in such as well. Or to care, probably, too.

8. ricksdisconnected

i think, if im not mistaken, in the link i provided above it mentions ozzy talking money with jake and randy.
    ozzy had to know what was going on bro. as big as that fuss was, he had to at least heard something of it.
    maybe he cowarded out and didnt say anything. but that still puts him with blame.
    im sure randy and or jake had to have complained directly to him. hell i would have. if sharon was such a
    tyrant it would have seemed to be much easier to talk to him about things rather than her.

9. ricksdisconnected

liked randy huh? by why didnt they pay him? in the link above it states very clearly
    in yet another link that randy and ozzy had it out at least a couple times. enough so that
    it lead to randy planning on quitting the band. tell ya what, i wouldnt treat somebody i liked
    the way they treated randy. would you? not they like zakk. ALOT.

10. ricksdisconnected

and yet some of ozzys best gunslinnger work was on that album too.

11. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom >>> Moderator <<< Staff Member

you seem to sure stick up for Sharon all the time...

Ozzy was just the singer. Sharon was & still is, the boss...

Ozzy, when he was ejected from Black Sabbath, he was under contract from CBS Records. Don Arden was Black Sabbath's manager. Don, is Sharon's Father...

When Ozzy was kicked out, CBS wanted to still cash in on Ozzy, as he was still a big name, that, if marketed ½ way, could still bring in a big cash cow.

CBS were interested in Randy, & such hooked up Randy w/ Ozzy.

Ozzy went back to England & hooked up w/ Bob Daisley & the band was started.

Ozzy flew Randy out, they got Lee Kerslake to audition & that was it, except for keyboards...

But, Ozzy talked w/ all of them (except IDK what he discussed w/ Randy, as that was probably discussed through CBS) about a lot of stuff, making a lot of promises.

Promises he didn't have the ability to make/keep.

Once the band got going, everything went through CBS, now under Sharon Arden's management, under the Jet Records subsidiary (of CBS).

When it came to drawing up contracts, Sharon was the representative of the record label & also band management. Sort of a conflict of interest, IMO. But, then she married Ozzy, so, now she was Ozzy's personal manager, the band's manager & also a rep of Jet/CBS, working out legal contracts between the label, the band & Ozzy...

At that point, Ozzy was out of the picture, as far as contracts, but, he had the main legal person w/ extra interest on his behalf.

In essence, she was representing the label vs the band. The label vs Ozzy. Ozzy vs the band, using her company's legal team...

It's like the old story of kids that grow up together, join a band together & get signed. In their minds, they are all a band, they are all equal. Once the suits get involved, they break/divide the band into assets. Assets w/ values. They do not consider all assets the same value. It takes a strong willed band, to fight the legality of the corporate pecking order.

Typically, a songwriter will be a more valuable asset, than a bass player, or drummer, that just play their parts. Some bass/drums are more active in how the song goes, than others. But, the tendency, regardless, is to reduce non writing members to hired hands & not band members...

For instance, & to further talk about Ozzy/Sharon...

Black Sabbath, 13 album & reunion tour. When contracts were drawn up. The offer to Bill Ward was 10%...

The breakdown was:

Ozzy 25%
    Tony 20%
    Geezer 20%
    Bill 10%

Sharon 25% (manager's fee)

That meant that Ozzy/Sharon got 50%, Tony & Geezer 20%/20% & Bill was just a back up musician playing drums...

Bill asked for at least a fair deal. For instance, if he got 20% & Ozzy & Sharon cut theirs to 20% ea., then they'd all be even, but Ozzy/Sharon would still be doing 40% of the band.

I think that Tony & Geezer offered a couple % of theirs but Ozzy/Sharon weren't budging & didn't want the other guys budging either...

Now, back to the Blizzard of Ozz band. Ozzy promised the guys a band, not a solo project w/ a backup band. Sharon made the contracts to be a solo project. The guys on the albums didn't even get credited properly. Sharon didn't want to be bothered w/ them, so, once Diary was recorded, she decided to dump Lee. CBS had Tommy Aldridge under contract, so Sharon had that all devised...

Once she kicked out Lee, got Tommy in, she didn't want to be bothered w/ Bob, so she canned him as well & Randy got Rudy in...

Them, when it came to Bark At the Moon, they needed to write more songs, so they begged Bob to come back, because he wrote most of the lyrics.

He saw it as an opportunity to try & work w/ Ozzy to get his credits/rights & royalties all sorted out, but, that never happened. Basically, Sharon did Sharon again & fired the band, this time, w/ Carmine Appice on drums & Jake...

There is no sticking up for her. She is what she is... Sure Ozzy is not innocent, but, she's the deviant one...

12. PowerTube44

PowerTube44 Well-Known Member

Randy has always been my all-time guitar icon. I respect Eddie, Brian May, Yngwie, and others, but none of them quite had Randy's magic to me.

In case any of you didn't know, Ozzy and Sharon almost got divorced because Randy screwed Sharon in the back of the tour bus. She even talked about it on Oprah once and how it almost tore her and Ozzy apart.

Here's Randy at a soundcheck in Texas. Just listen to these chops.

13. Ray Baker

Ray Baker Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Agreed and it was a simple rig, Guitar, basic pedalboard and Marshall amp. No EMG Active pick-ups, no fancy rack system, no wireless. I got the book shown below ( I only paid $80) and there are some really amazing pics of his equipment and his amps. His three heads were the famous white 1959 JMP Superlead (1979, You can read the serial number) a second JMP 1959 JMP Superlead and the third was a JMP Superbass.

upload_2021-9-15_2-33-5.png

14. Ray Baker

Randy Rhoads Amps Randy Amps.jpg

15. Ray Baker

16. Ray Baker

17. Dogs of Doom

This is from an Ozzy tourbook:

1374041_10202427158303928_145036665_n_zpsb69baef8.jpg

18. Ray Baker

Randy Rhoads Pedalboard. I don't believe the setting. Bernie Torme used Randy's rig for a brief period, however he played a Fender Strat. It's possible that the EQ was adjusted because of the differences in guitar, but that's just my speculation.
    Randy Pedalboard.jpg

19. Dogs of Doom

Bernie also claimed that Randy's heads were stock...

I saw an ad, for a SLP he was selling a few years back. I should have bought it. I thought it was going to go for crazy money, but, it sold for $1600...

He said he used that amp (black) on tour w/ Ozzy. It was spray painted Gillan, because he got it from Ian, when he played w/ him...

20. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I didn’t know he was going to leave but it makes sense. Even Zack left for a while a couple of times.