Nope , It's Not The Fool....

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AlvisX, May 10, 2020.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

I'll have to grab one of those Maestro's if one pops up. Maybe try a weaker pickup, like a 5 to 7k wind bucker.

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

The single humbucker factor is you have les magnetic pull the strings To slow then down . Thar is something you can work with . Take advantage of it

3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I tried a regular PAF-y pickup ,it sounds more like a stratocaster ,or whatever you wanna call that bell ring . I thought for a minute it might've had a 25.5 scale , but it doesn't ....it's just that pickup too far from the bridge

Also , as with many guitars with pickups mounted to the guard , pickup to string proximity is inhibited . Most of these cats on the you tubes don't consider this . The designers didn't consider it . I had to "quarter" the springs so I could get the pickup close enough to hear what you hear

I do like the neck OK for a cheap guitar. Im very picky about a neck...as I am about pickup adjustment

Keep your eyes peeled for the Maestro Les Paul though...they got that one right.I actually think it's cooler than the Epi "Junior"

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. AlvisX

'Cept they blew it placing that pickup so far forward . The "good" harmonics are not there

5. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Pick up placement is is real important . Les Paul got it right with the pick ups the tone wood the neck . The rest of us are just chasing it

6. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Very well done Alvis , you know I think you could do pretty good with your own guitar repair , upgrade , pawn shop finds and performance demo’s on YouTube . I really enjoyed the Clapton and the vocals !

7. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

No matter what PU you put on it, it will sound like ass.
    No matter where you move the PU to, the same.

It's the wood, it's the bolt-on neck.
    Waxing a garbage truck does not make it run like a Delorean.
    The sound of the guitar does not come from the pickups or electronics.

This is a reality which is learned.

8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Now that is a sweet axe.

[​IMG]

9. AlvisX

Cmon man !
    A guy with science in his name KNOWS , magnets matter , position of conductor & inductor matter
    Setup matters a whole bunch

Bolt on neck .....? don't matter much . There's been lotsa strats n teles sold since 1948....

But yeah, let's listen to the guitar
    No amplifier involved

10. AlvisX

They all are , except the '67 had a pencil neck ,thankfully I was able to launder it and an Epi Olympic into this '58. Juniors have been my favorite guitar for straight up ROCK since I was a teenager

[​IMG]

11. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

@AlvisX @ampmadscientist

Correct.
    In the case of that particular guitar and because of that pickup position finding a pickup for that SG will probably never come to fruition if you are trying to make it sound like a Gibson Standard. Maybe a newer production pickup, but nothing old I would imagine.

Correct response.
    Proven by Lester Polsfuss with THE LOG.

IMO Because you like the way it plays, I would invest $50-$60 in a pickguard and relocate the pickup. Cheap guitar cheap money. Probably would find a good one in your drawer after that install. Then you could rock that guitar and make a killer demo for ampmadscientis.

12. AlvisX

I already made a killer demo , in fact two, sounds great . I just have my gripe about the pickup placement .It just means this guitar is not gonna find itself in a suitcase headed to Norway or anywhere ....There's 20 other cheap guitars here to fill that bill But you could play Sabbath n Cream on this guitar all day and no one would be the wiser...as least I could .

Any school o' rock kid that get their hands on it is gonna be stoked to have a guitar that plays very well..in tune , Not like the sh*t I started out on

Not really worth the time to make a pickguard ...to prove what I already know .

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  13. junk notes

First, you are not posting to prove anything other than what fun it is to have a good beater. Could not agree more!

Compared to your other videos using the same recording process, no it does not sound great in comparison to others, but you are correct on your gripe.
    (& Unplugged sounds killer BTW!)

I would have liked that guitar as a starter instead of the Silvertone.

14. AlvisX

What I did not do was demo how it was as it came off the shelf . Although I dont remember if it was actually what we'd call playable, but it woulda been cool if I had documented what it sounded like before I turned a screw ...then you'd hear somethin

Which Silvertone did you start on ?

I believe though, a lot of our gripes about our early instruments comes from the lack of knowledge about any guitar mechanics when you're 14 yrs old or whatever . AND, the people who sold 'em back them ,had little knowledge either

I remember thinkin,"If I only had a Fender...." I got a Fender when I was 17 ....BUT I still didn't know how to set that up either ....neither did 1980 guitar store dude

My 10th grade guitar ....It hasn't been that long since I finally relocated the bridge so it would play in tune. But hell if I knew anything about that in '79...

15. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

I got one of those from walmart for $99. came with a little amp and strap and all the starter stuff.

I liked how thick it was, it wasnt as thin as a normal SG and the single humucker was cool

The neck on mine felt a little fat and for $99. it wasnt bad.

I put an actual Gibson style bridge and tail piece on mine and a better pickup but without the mahogany body it just didnt have that Gibson growl

If i remember the wood was bass or something soft but it wasnt plywood which surprised me

Attached Files:

16. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Amen! :h5:

You should see the turd I started with. :erk:

Mitchell Pearrow and junk notes like this.
  17. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

Sounds like a Strat, i don't think you will be able to stop that.

junk notes likes this.
  18. junk notes

[​IMG]

This one. Long gone. No case though.... just the girl. ;-)
    Today it would be most likely used by slide players.
    I had a cracked headstock and the melamine back of the body was coming undone (good reverb). I got it to play awesome, so I could play in A minor Pentatonic. After the 10th fret, every fret sounded exactly like the 11th lol.
    Good times!
    So yeah would have liked to have had that Maestro! It would have sounded great through my three-knob 1x10 Montgomery Ward. I sucked haha

19. AlvisX

Not bad ,one pickup danelectros are good for fingerpickin ....maybe not so good when you're a kid tryin to play what you think is rock n roll.
    I use the long scale 2 pickup version regularly as my Open E guitar . but I have one o' them short scale single too

20. junk notes

I think everyone should have experienced a crap guitar. My next three purchases were a Stratocaster, a JMP Marshall half stack, and a Les Paul Custom, and in that order. New!:-D
    I could not stand that I could not play in E like some of my other friends. I didn't suck for too long. Though, I would have liked to have known about the PB-100.