>

NOGD! When it rains, it pours!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GregM, Oct 13, 2021 at 10:14 PM.

1. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

So, far be it from me to stop the rain, so yes it's another bloody Les Paul.
    Birthday present to me number 4.
    1989 standard.
    IMG_20211014_095714_edit_66435829270070.jpg
    Beat up old thing, but...
    The nicest guitar I will probably ever own :)
    Has a headstock repair I will probably get looked at one day, at least fixed a bit neater if not routed out and a few splints put in, one day :)
    IMG_20211014_095649_edit_66455402420588.jpg
    Dates at 17th of January 1989, watch this space in 2029, she will be having a 40th birthday party!
    Tuners have been replaced, have originals but one is broken, so one year I'll hunt down another.
    IMG_20211014_095725_edit_66398780470076.jpg
    Bridge pup is original Bill Lawrence circuit board pup, neck has been replaced, no idea with what yet (I'll find out after I break a string). Pickup mounts non original too, originals are in the case busted to hell. Non original case too so a bit of work to do, but it's an over the years thing, not a priority.
    Overall a very happy boy, I mean you only turn 48 once right? And that's like my 30th and my 18 combined! I definately deserve it!

2. fitz288

fitz288 Well-Known Yinzer Silver Supporting Member

HNOGD!
    Beautiful color.
    The neck repair looks fairly well done.
    If it plays well, just rock it.

StrummerJoe and GregM like this.
  3. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Just had it into the Lil dsl5cr so far, damn that bridge is hot, every Lil movement on every string comes pouring through, the neck pup is surprisingly hot too, turned that to 8 did the old switch thing, nope still dirty, volume down to 6, nope still dirty lol.
    I think I might have to rejig the amp settings a little when I play it.
    And I'm not sure if sustain is the right word, but single notes sort of bloom then bloom again, then bloom again, it's a very new experience to me!

fitz288 and StrummerJoe like this.
  4. StrummerJoe

StrummerJoe Well-Known Member

Happy belated Bday! Happy NGD!

That neck repair looks fine to me. I would only use splints as a last drastic measure if wood was missing. That glue joint is stronger than the surrounding wood. If it ever breaks again it won't break there.

We're darn near the same age. I just turned 49 Sept. 1. :cheers:

And I really like the understated plain top and burst on it.

GregM and fitz288 like this.
  5. StrummerJoe

And Bill Lawrence was a pickup GENIUS! I will always sing his praise.

RIP Bill!

6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Ty, not quite belated yet, it's on the 15th of October, still 1 day away for me and probably 2 for you!
    Only one more present to go, and that will be late, it's from the missus and it's what I asked for ( no not that, I'm hoping I might get that anyway, but not looking good atm)
    I'd hate to ruin the surprise so I'll keep you all hanging, tune in next week, same bat time, same bat channel!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 11:43 PM
  7. StrummerJoe

LOL "atm" means something totally different where I'm from.

"If I ever break up with the missus my next girl will have to be rich and do the ATM." And it has nothing to do with money.

It'll come to you....

GregM likes this.
  8. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I got it, I was in my 20s when clerks and? Mallrats came out, but I was thinking at the moment, not automatic teller machine...
    Too much time spent on ever quest

StrummerJoe likes this.
  9. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry in my haste to play her ( him) I forgot to show the back and neck, back looks amazing, not sure how? Played by someone in back to front silk pyjamas maybe, so no buttons were showing? IMG_20211014_095640_edit_72822603643574.jpg
    Neck is nice, wear around the 2nd 5th and 9th fret you can feel more than see.
    The picture doesn't capture how it feels, feels thinner at the first few frets, getting fatter towards the middle then skinnier again at about the 7th or 8th fret, feels weird but very easy on the hands too.
    IMG_20211014_095758_edit_66335712307585.jpg
    So that's my new little toy. Natural harmonics ring out on it like no guitar I've had. Playing Israel with no effects and no compressor, the harmonics ring out as loud as any note. Very much in love, but now I must sleep, it's after 1pm!

fitz288 likes this.
  10. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Very nice. If the headstock repair has integrity and there are no tuning issues, I'd leave it alone just because it tells a story just as it is. Whoever installed the new tuners - sure looks like they cranked 'em down pretty tight. Because of the risk of cracking the headstock from over-tight tuners (I actually did that when I was nubular), I'd loosen 'em all and re-tighten them snug to make sure they're not as clamped as they look in the photo.

Otherwise, I get so confused: when the heck did Gibson stop putting those nice pearl inlays on the fretboards and start using the cloudy crap they've been using everafter? I thought it was only the 70's and earlier models that had the nice inlays, and then by the 80's they went to the cloudy stuff?

GregM, Kinkless Tetrode and fitz288 like this.
  11. Edgar Frog

Edgar Frog Well-Known Member

Happy NGD and Happy early birth day. Nice old plain top there for sure, looks like a rocker. :cool:
    It's my b day this month too but no new gear or gifts coming my way. I have been doing things to guitars I already have though to change them up. So it's kind of like getting a present. :)

:cheers::bday:

GregM likes this.
  12. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

HNGD! Congrats!

GregM likes this.