NOGD PRS content

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by clutch71, Feb 26, 2021.

1. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a PRS. Found a stock 2002 CE24 w/ case, hang tags, and other case candy at a price to good to pass up. It has a 5 way rotary switch, Wide Thin Neck, Locking tuners, HFS in the bridge, and Vintage Bass in the neck. Surprised at how warm the ceramic pups sound. Kinda looks orange in these pics but it is a bright red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

Sweet axe.

I've built more guitars based on PRS designs than any other kinds. Currently that stands at five.

Crikey likes this.
  3. tolm

tolm Active Member

Nice choice! All of the quality and none of the “faff” that sometimes comes with the (IMO) OTT models / finishes.

Crikey likes this.
  4. clutch71

More observations....

The 24 frets and wide neck may take some getting used to def wider than my Les Paul or S73. The back of the neck is worn nicely so it is very smooth. The space offered by 24 frets makes the 22 fret more comfortable from other models I own. The set up is high (but not unreasonable) for my liking but the intonation is perfect. It stays in tune so I am in no hurry to change anything but I can see a trip to Phil Maneri of 5th Ave Fret shop in the future.

I have not been a fan of ceramic pickups and generally lean Alnico 2. It is to soon to say I love these pickups but at this point I really like them. I have not pulled them to confirm they are HFS/Vintage Bass as the hang tags indicate but will at first string change. I do own Seymour Duncan's that are not labeled and there are many custom winders. I did review the wiring at the switch and pots and it is consistent in color and connections of stock wiring. Not sure when PRS switched to the rectangular pick ups.

I had been actively looking for another guitar. I wanted something Made in the US, standard tuning, whammy bar (was leaning floyd with a dtuna), dual hums with split or coil taps, in Nitro for around $1500. I was well below that for this purchase! I have not been wild about S2's or more recent CE's as they feel thinner, cheaper bridges, tuners, and no hard shell case.

How do set necks compare with the CE? Is there a discernable difference?

5. Trident

Trident Well-Known Member

Congrats! “Nice Guitar”:agreed:

6. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

PRS Rocks.

MarshallDog likes this.
  7. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

Nice guitar!
    Love that color and flame wood grain combination!
    But when you said "PRS content" did you mean the verb, as in a state of peaceful happiness from getting a PRS, or the noun, as in this thread contains a PRS?

John BNY likes this.
  8. clutch71

I had not thought of it that way but maybe yes.

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Congrats.

The older PRS CE guitars are so much better than the overpriced newer ones that seem be expensive SE models.

10. clutch71

I could not agree with you more. Before COVIDS PRS started making changes and the biggest one to me was dropping the hardshell case. Justified in their FAQ's as follows....
    Why do the CE and S2 guitars not include a hardshell case?
    These guitars were designed for the working musician and ease of portability a gig bag offers.

I am by no means a gigging musician but if I was....I would use hardshell case over a gig bag!

Yesterday I conditioned the fret board and changed strings. I also pulled the pickups to confirm they are stock. Guitar is in very good shape for a 19 year old instrument.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  11. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I love those earlier PRS CE Models.

If you ever get the oportunity, try a PRS Johnny Hiland Model.

IMO, it's a custom CE Model

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021