No Props! Hendrix @ Maui

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Those poor fools had no idea what the had witnessed.
He was so far ahead of his time. It's like MJ Fox on back to the future.
I disagree. Hendrix was precisely on time for his time and place. He was one of the greats of a great era, and he lives on into the "future" because he was/is timeless.

If Hendrix had not happened in the 60's and suddenly appeared today I doubt that he would be successful.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I disagree. Hendrix was precisely on time for his time and place. He was one of the greats of a great era, and he lives on into the "future" because he was/is timeless.

If Hendrix had not happened in the 60's and suddenly appeared today I doubt that he would be successful.
Today is a little further forward than what I foresee. just look at the majority of the audience , they do not appear to know what they are seeing in my opinion.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Jimi was unique for sure. Maui show production is great. Just ignore the old hippies.
Well I admire they were there , I would have loved to have seen him anywhere but that seems like a very good performance. That being said I have not studied his live work in any sequence or method just imho.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
ok, so, what I get out of it...

SPOILER ALERT!!!
DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED...

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

YES YOU!

TURN BACK!

GO AWAY!

ok, so what I was saying... is...

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO READ THIS?

ok, here goes...

This event was a total disaster. As much as the hippies behind the movie want to say it was a great spontaneous success, the producers have a different story, of having to polish a turd, but, then noting that things seemed to luckily fall together for the project.

The guys going in didn't have experience in doing a production of something like this. The concert was supposed to be a side thing, & when they recorded it, they didn't do a multi-track, & when all was said & done, it was a windy outdoor gig, & the drums were missing for much of the show, coming in on the recorded video tracks when the wind allowed...

So, they had to have Mitch overdub all the drums, copying what he played as best as he could, so, at least the visual of the live video seemed to match what he was overdubbing...

When it came to the soundtrack album, they raided Jimi's vaults, as he had died & had a lot of studio stuff recorded, so, they picked stuff out of his recordings & comprised the soundtrack LP from those tapes...

The movie, was pretty spontaneous though, as there was no script, but, when things happened, they resorted to refilming the happenings, similar to modern day reality TV, where they do retakes of whatever they think will be good.

Apparently, the movie, wasn't good enough on it's own, that they had to rely on polishing up the concert footage.

They end up saying that if Jimi hadn't died & was still around, the movie would not have been so produced after the fact, as it would have been a documentary, that was a mere snapshot in time, but, not a musical product. Many, in the day, thought that they were exploiting Jimi from his passing & banking in on it.

Regardless, my thoughts are, that, it'd be nice to have the raw footage, w/ it's warts & all, & also have the produced/polished version. Both are a good document for the time. Better to have more, than none, right?

Interesting doc though. The way things went down, were pretty free, in that a couple guys came up w/ the idea, went to the record company, & they just agreed, on a whim, w/o knowing what it was all about... Try that later on w/ big band management...

Even if it was a trainwreck, at least it was given the attempt, & some thing good came out of it. They do show a couple clips from the next show in Honolulu, which sounds like a good show, if they ever release it in full video, even if the video isn't the best...

They also show some clips of Berkeley that look pretty nice...

While I was a fan of Hendrix, I never studied him, like other bands that I followed. I guess this was a transitional show, between Experience & Band of Gypsies. He has Mitch Mitchell on drums & Billy Cox on bass, if I'm thinking right, whereas Experience was Noel Redding/Mitch Mitchel & Gypsies was Billy Cox/Buddy Miles...

Sapient

 
Reaction score
ok, so, what I get out of it...

SPOILER ALERT!!!
DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED...

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

YES YOU!

TURN BACK!

GO AWAY!

ok, so what I was saying... is...

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO READ THIS?

ok, here goes...

This event was a total disaster. As much as the hippies behind the movie want to say it was a great spontaneous success, the producers have a different story, of having to polish a turd, but, then noting that things seemed to luckily fall together for the project.

The guys going in didn't have experience in doing a production of something like this. The concert was supposed to be a side thing, & when they recorded it, they didn't do a multi-track, & when all was said & done, it was a windy outdoor gig, & the drums were missing for much of the show, coming in on the recorded video tracks when the wind allowed...

So, they had to have Mitch overdub all the drums, copying what he played as best as he could, so, at least the visual of the live video seemed to match what he was overdubbing...

When it came to the soundtrack album, they raided Jimi's vaults, as he had died & had a lot of studio stuff recorded, so, they picked stuff out of his recordings & comprised the soundtrack LP from those tapes...

The movie, was pretty spontaneous though, as there was no script, but, when things happened, they resorted to refilming the happenings, similar to modern day reality TV, where they do retakes of whatever they think will be good.

Apparently, the movie, wasn't good enough on it's own, that they had to rely on polishing up the concert footage.

They end up saying that if Jimi hadn't died & was still around, the movie would not have been so produced after the fact, as it would have been a documentary, that was a mere snapshot in time, but, not a musical product. Many, in the day, thought that they were exploiting Jimi from his passing & banking in on it.

Regardless, my thoughts are, that, it'd be nice to have the raw footage, w/ it's warts & all, & also have the produced/polished version. Both are a good document for the time. Better to have more, than none, right?

Interesting doc though. The way things went down, were pretty free, in that a couple guys came up w/ the idea, went to the record company, & they just agreed, on a whim, w/o knowing what it was all about... Try that later on w/ big band management...

Even if it was a trainwreck, at least it was given the attempt, & some thing good came out of it. They do show a couple clips from the next show in Honolulu, which sounds like a good show, if they ever release it in full video, even if the video isn't the best...

They also show some clips of Berkeley that look pretty nice...

While I was a fan of Hendrix, I never studied him, like other bands that I followed. I guess this was a transitional show, between Experience & Band of Gypsies. He has Mitch Mitchell on drums & Billy Cox on bass, if I'm thinking right, whereas Experience was Noel Redding/Mitch Mitchel & Gypsies was Billy Cox/Buddy Miles...

tantrum-kid.gif
the-mental.gif

Latest posts