No problem with using can filter cap on preamp?

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by Impetus, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Impetus

Impetus Member

Hi, I currently have a 32+32(64uF) dual axial cap for the preamp filtering but i was wanting to know if i could remove it and try an ARS 32/16 can cap there? I realize the orientation will be strange since the positive and negative tabs are all on one side of that cap but i can just extend a lead from the negative side on over to the cap so I'm not worried about that...i mean, i don't see a reason i cant do this but just wanted to check really quick. I would get a proper cap for that position if i like the lower filtering of course

2. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

How are you planning to mount the can?

3. Impetus

Impetus Member

Well its currently
    Its currently got a dual axial with a 10k resistor between both positive leads and of course the negative on the opposite side so I will put the 10k resistor still between both positive sides like it currently is and then simply extend a lead from behind the cap where the negative was attached to reach over to the end where the positive and negative terminals are. I'm just gonna lay it on its side so that all terminals are facing the positive side. The leads I'll use are sturdy enough to hold it in place

4. Chris-in-LA

Chris-in-LA Well-Known Member

That sounds a little risky. As you probably know, other builds actually have a hole underneath the board so that the can is mounted with a clamp underneath the board. I would be afraid of that can shifting the way that you have it mounted and could possibly contact a high-voltage terminal.

Impetus, Marcomel79 and Dogs of Doom like this.
  5. Impetus

Impetus Member

Ok, I may just put in an order for a proper cap and wait then. Thanks for the reply!

neikeel likes this.
  6. Pete Farrington

Pete Farrington Well-Known Member

It’s simple and cheap to drill holes in the board either side of the cap and clamp the can to the board with cable ties.
    Maybe use a couple of blobs of clear glue between the can and board as belt and braces.

Impetus likes this.
  7. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

you are a bad man :applause:

adew1, Impetus and Pete Farrington like this.