NMID (New Musical Instrument Day) + My Biz

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Sapient, Nov 23, 2021.

1. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Word!

El Gringo likes this.
  2. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Also just to give you a little background about the constant on going tug of war between myself and Gibson versus Fender is that it really is funny and I blame Marshall for my lack of interest in not playing Fender's thru my 2555X's . As when I got my first 2555X half stack in 2015 it was instant love at first listen with the humbucker loaded R9 Les Paul as the sound was so rich and thick and glorious as it was game, set, and match over with the single coil loaded Fender's . I was and still am to this second totally whipped on Les Paul's into Marshall sounds . Sure I have enough Fender's in the herd that I always play around with them as if I will one day get different results . My latest experiment which has not been installed yet is the Fishman Fluence Active Pickups set for my Stratocaster , along with the Fishman back plate loaded with the USB port for charging the lithium battery (ies ) as I can't remember if it's a single lithium battery or not . It's billed as going from Fender clean to a Texas Special pickups kind of sound for the hotter sounds , and I figure with the high gain 2555X's I should have a nice lead type sound I hope . I would have had my tech install this set , who by the way was the one who recommended these pickups to me as just last spring I had him install a set of Lace Sensor pickups , red for the bridge , silver for the middle , and blue for the neck . I mistakenly though they would sound good as back in the early 90's I had a set of 2 Gold Lace Sensors and one Red Lace Sensor for the bridge which were the Fender branded Lace Sensors and boy oh boy there is an ocean of difference for the Fender branded ones versus the Lace Sensor branded ones , as the Lace Sensors are harsh and nasty sounding to my ears and very sterile in a most negative way . The original Fender branded Lace Sensors were not active and sounded and worked great with my Fender amps , and like a fool I removed them as the guys (jerks I used to play with said it sounded to modern and not vintage / authentic enough . I still have that at home but I would have to do an archaeological dig to find and unearth them . What delayed this project with the Fishman pickups was that I needed a 2nd push /pull pot in order to have a working tone control for the bridge pickup on the Stratocaster , which I have always had on this Stratocaster . Took forever to get the stupid push/ pull part from Fishman but I finally got it 2 weeks ago . So I will find out one of these days if this works or not .

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Sapient likes this.
  3. Sapient

@El Gringo

Awesome. I hope it sounds good for ya! When I had a Strat I replace the pickups too. I forget what they were called but they were hotter - almost to sound like humbuckers If I remember right.

I have a real hard time with Strats since I don't like their tone at all. I never actually tried one with a humbucker it's the sound of that plastic pickguard that I always hear when playing with the volume down. Tele's are cool though and I like their tone. Even them though you have to be careful or you'll sound like you're whistling Dixie in no time. Lol.

I always wanted to try the Lace Sensors too but I just never got to it. I didn't know there was a Fender/non-Fender difference.

:shred2:

El Gringo likes this.
  4. Sapient

My electric instrument sits a few miles away from my house today not deliverable because of the holiday.

To this is say: BBAAAAAA HUMBUG!!!!!

Enjoy your days off, ....your families, ....your BIRD dinners....but remember too my pain ....my pain I feel today.

:sad:

Lol. Happy BIRD day!!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    Geeze likes this.
  5. Eric'45

Eric'45 Well-Known Member

I know that feeling all too well :(
    But there are worse things, here in Germany there's no day off :erk:

Sapient likes this.
  6. Sapient

My electric guitar showed up today. Here's some fresh pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It really feels fantastic. It has that real solid, kinda American "weighted" chunky feel.
    Feels all one piece, not like a sum of its parts, if that makes sense.

7. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Lech-rechaun Gold Supporting Member

Beauty! HNGD

Sapient likes this.
  8. Sapient

Thanks all y'all.

My android camera is weird ..the hue, contrast, white balance, color tone, etc., is really biffed.
    I tried to cut some of the pink. So, it looks "mostly" like that, shall we say.

:dude:

9. Sapient

Back she goes. I don't like this guitar at all. Hate it now, actually.

Win some, lose some. No more Charvel's for me.

TXOldRedRocker likes this.
  10. Eric'45

Why the change of mind?
    Nice Cat, BTW:thumb:

Sapient likes this.
  11. TXOldRedRocker

Bummer. Oh well.

Another Les to replace the Les you sold, are selling? The 10 yr old Classic Custom's have baked Maple fretboards. I absolutely love mine, though it's not a white one like this.

ccw.jpg

Eric'45 and Sapient like this.
  12. Sapient

Thanks. That is my buddy of all buddies. :yesway:

Basically it doesn't stay completely in tune due to the design of the tremelo system. I think they were maybe a too forthgoing with it myself. It really needs some refining an some reality to be looked at before they release something like that. So, they just killed their flagship guitar on the sad technicality that it ...won't stay in tune?? Lol.

Personally I don't care for the way it plays either and the sound is too '80s metal and forfeits chime for mid-bite and squeal. It's certainly not for me one bit.

Now, you're German, maybe you can go help them with the shortcomings in the tremelo system. It's appears the American engineers have chosen to share more time with their medicinal marihuana, popcorn, beer, sports, and using their Chinese hardware and tools coupons.

Eric'45 likes this.
  13. Sapient

Nooooooo, not another Les Paul. :scream:

I have all LPs and Tele's and I was trying to change pace a bit. For some reason I really need a break from them.

I was looking this morning at Strats with humbuckers. I had one before and I sold it since we weren't clicking. The search included Suhr and Friedman too, plus every other brand it seemed.. They are so f'n expensive now though. :run:

14. TXOldRedRocker

I feel ya. My only Strat is an SSS. I've been Jonesin' for an HSS or possibly even HH Strat, but just not going there right now. At least trying not to.

Sapient likes this.
  15. Sapient

My only problem with a Strat is they feel a bit toyish and the necks are little "big" all around (not just thick). I'd like like an EVH or what some may call a slimmer "shredder" neck on a Strat body or something. The Charvel neck is a good example I guess - not "shredder ...shredder", just slimmer I'd say.

I've never held a Suhr or Freidman, but I'm thinking they probably slimmed the necks like I'm saying.

16. TXOldRedRocker

Ditto here.

If you find something you’ve described. Please don’t keep it a secret.

:shred::cheers:

17. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

Try one of the Schecters, I was waiting for an employee at GC to get a LP down for me to try and I grabbed a used Schecter off the wall, noodled for a minute, then told the dude hold off and I went and gave it a good going over/play, and ended up taking it home.

shocked myself, I would never ever have picked it based on looks. Floyd is a bit tarnished, and I have to replace the bridge pup because it’s not floyd spaced, but it’s amazing to play.
    BD3AB05D-098C-4CE0-B0C2-D2E3FB524110.jpeg

Geeze, fitz288, Sapient and 1 other person like this.
  18. Eric'45

Schecters don't have such extremely slim Necks, as well. I also think they could fit for you, based on what you have described :)

Sapient likes this.
  19. Sapient

Ok ...a few things just happened real fast and it resulted in this. It dropped $300 to under 2K and is normally a grand more. I had to snag it. Even a Fender like this would cost you a fortune more. It was on Reverb but I bought direct to the guy's store. No tax that way and Reverb can suck my dick the same time.

bdfrv92bqlociyhjakui.png

jw97c3xozbenwd8vzuqk.png

tdpohpyoudixazfqlpdt.png

qzghzobviwfsghennsxc.png

I want a back cover on it. Can you effeciniotos tell me what color and style?? Thanks.

@Deftone - Kinda like yours. I could knock out the two whites if I want.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  20. Sapient

I take it no one likes the one made by Marty Friedman. ?? :fever:

El Gringo and fitz288 like this.