>

Ngtd

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by KelvinS1965, Sep 18, 2016.

1. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

I've got something new to plug into my 1 watt Marshall JMP1H. I sold a satin black 50s Tribute that I didn't get on with (I must be the only player who doesn't like the thick 50s neck shape) and managed to find this mint 2011 60s Tribute with a nice slim taper neck that suits my hands much better. I was never really a fan of Gold Tops, but just lately they have grown on me and of course now I own one, I love them. :) Hence NGTD 'New Gold Top Day'. :)

Gold Top 3.JPG GT 1.jpg

dreyn77, tonetrain, John BNY and 7 others like this.
  2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Very nice! How do those P90s sound, I never tried them? I'm with you, I prefer the 60s slim. I do have one LPS with a 50's and I don't mind it but no more 50's I will stick with the 60s...

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  3. KelvinS1965

It sounds the same as the 50s Tribute I sold on Friday, so it's a sound I already like: They are brighter and more jangly sounding than humbuckers, not quite as hot, but a bit hotter than my Fenders. It's a nice change from the humbuckers in my Epiphone LP, yet quite different from my Strat or Telecaster so I can justify having a second Les Paul guitar. :)

I noticed that some of the new 2017 Gibsons have the slim taper neck, so it might be worth looking into those if you fancy another LP. However they don't seem to do a model with P90s for 2017 (or maybe just haven't announced one yet), so you'd have to look at a 2016 60s Tribute (what I would have bought if this GT hadn't come up) or a much more expensive Custom shop model. Even then I think the CS models have the 50s neck.

Vinsanitizer and MarshallDog like this.
  4. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Congrats Kelvin..She's a Beauty...I dig the Slim Taper necks too..Killer Score buddy and again, Congrats..!!!.

dreyn77 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  5. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ ✴- - - - - TEH - - - - -✴ ✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴ Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

Awesome! Yeah I was never into Goldtops much either, but it's a nice addition to my micro LP collection. The neck on mine is between my R8 and R9, and a lot bigger than my Traditional. In fact, all three of the other guitars make the fat 50's neck on my Traditional feel like a slim taper. Anyway, good on you that you found a shape that you like. I think the 50's (and I assume 60's) Tributes are so much bang for the buck.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Mmmm, gold! Nice!

dreyn77 and KelvinS1965 like this.
  7. KelvinS1965

Thanks everyone. I've been having a problem mostly with my 4th finger on my left hand. It took me a while to realise that it was aggravated by the 50s Tribute neck, kind of hard to admit that the Gibson I'd waited until I was 50 to buy wasn't for me. I can tell that this neck is so much slimmer straight away as I can wrap my thumb over the neck and overlap my 3rd finger by about 1/2" at the 9th fret. It might seem a random point, but I 'measured' my old neck and that was the fret where I could barely touch thumb and third finger. This one seems to bend a bit easier too, but that could be different strings (I'm sure they are 10s, but perhaps a different brand) and my finger tips don't seem to drag on the fingerboard like the old one.

Funny how these little details add up, but I definitely play better on this one and it sounds the same, so it's a win/win. I''m debating swapping the knobs for the Gold top hat type, as I'm not too keen on the reflector knobs (I changed them on my 50s Tribute too, but swaped them back before I sold it). I'll see how it goes as not very long ago I wasn't keen on Gold Tops either, so the knobs may grow on me too. :)

Back home early and the OH has gone out, so I need to have a play again. :)

8. Oldpunk

Oldpunk Well-Known Member

Nice!!! I want that same axe, need me some p90 love. Mind if I ask what you picked it up for?

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  9. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Nice!

[​IMG]

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  10. KelvinS1965

Well I'm in the UK, so it's probably not going to have much in common with prices in So Cal, but I had to pay £650 for it, same as I would have had to pay for a Honeyburst 2016 60s Tribute but that only came with a gig bag and of course isn't GOLD. :)

Typically today I got an alert for another one for sale, but a long way from me for offers around £600 (In Norwich on Gumtree for any UK readers who may be looking).

Oldpunk likes this.
  11. dreyn77

dreyn77 Well-Known Member

Back in the 50's they didn't need to play as guys in 2016 need to play.
    Great guitar! It's not the old P90's, but something new. ;)
    The gold is on their not for YOU to look at. its for all your friends to look at.
    If you swap the knobs then its NOT the Gibson and its not the old inspired model.
    You paid for Gibson to do all the work, so don't now start to become the guitar designer. It's paid for, it's done, the jobs over, the audience loves it right now!

12. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Huh, 1950's music is different than 2016 music. I'm glad you're here to explain this.

Yeah, I don't buy anything for what my friends like, but what I like. Once you learn to be yourself and not influenced by those around you, then you'll be much happier. Good luck with that.

no we don't. We want to see the player happy with his guitar. Not eat everything the designers THINK the people want. Sheeple keep things stock. Individuals make it their own. :D

13. KelvinS1965

Wow; honoured with a Dryen post. Shame it makes as much sense as the others I've tried to read...

This is another Gibson with the Gold Top hats on, so I think I'm OK just copying what they've already done. It's not like I'm putting Telecaster knurled knobs on (actually that's a thought, might be worth it just as a wind up :) ).

56-goldtop.jpg

Of course mine doesn't have the binding of this model, but I think I prefer the knobs.

I put black speed knobs on my 50s Tribute and removed the poker chip, so I was probably upsetting quite a few people with that combo.

Before:

On rug.jpg

After (I top wrapped the strings too, though didn't really notice a difference):

With knobs on.jpg

Completely reversible and I put it back to standard when I sold it. I now have a spare set of black speed knobs and an empty packet with no poker chip in. ;)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    Bear R. likes this.