Ngd!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by minerman, Mar 15, 2016.

1. minerman

minerman Well-Known Member

Hey guys,
    I don't post much here anymore, but I still visit pretty regularly....Ordered this thing Thursday, it arrived today...So far, can't find a blemish on it, & so far, it's perfect...This guitar seems like it's got way more balls to it's feel & sound than my '14 LP Studio does, might be the bridge p'up is a little hotter (490 vs 498), might be different wood, might just be me, but so far this guitar is spectacular. I know I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, so I'll post a review of it after I've spent some more time with it...

2016 Gibson SG Standard T:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics really don't do it justice, it's a decent camera, but not great. I bought an Audix i5 mic with the guitar too, which arrived today....

[​IMG]

This guitar is my "retirement" present to myself, as I've been medically retired & I'm no longer able to work since the heart attack(s) last fall. It's been tough both physically, & financially, but things finally seem to be turning around for me, as I won't have to do anything except go to the mailbox from now on...To be honest, this was pretty hard for me to hear, especially since I've had a physically demanding job for 25+ years, but that was a big contributor to my health problems too, so in short, my working days are behind me...I ended up selling some of my gear over the past year or so, but I'm starting to replace some of the things I sold, plus buy some new toys along the way.....:)

Back to the guitar, so far I love it, period. Great sound, feel, & look (IMO anyway), really happy with it so far, but that's only been a couple of hours....:D

JAC, sellen, tonetrain and 13 others like this.
  2. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Congrats my friend. I had a '16 SG standard for a little while and it was an awesome piece for sure. Lots of tone and it cuts like a razor, congrats again, you'll love it!

3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

Congatulations on a lovely looking guitar.

4. DirtySteve

DirtySteve Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice!...you deserve it brother!

5. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

Nice!!!

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Awesome!

7. minerman

Thanks guys, it's been a hell of a year, but again, things seem to be getting better over here for me....

I almost bought this, but just couldn't find "extra dumpy" in their sizes...:D

GibsonKramer likes this.
  8. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Congrats. The only condition your heart doctor has requested is that you play only elevator music so as to not work yourself up into a lather lol. Just Kidding Minerman! Enjoy that geetar it's a really nice one! Glad to know that you're doing well my friend.

9. Bear R.

Bear R. Well-Known Member

Nice Guitar Miner..and good to see you man..Im glad all is well for you now..Anyways, Congrats on the SG, It's real Sweet...Hope to see ya around more..

10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

Funny.

No, really.

Back in 2009, I was working as a big truck driver. Trucks/Trailers and Semis. Had all my endorsements, worked in the petroleum industry, where the $$$ is. Was working 60 hour weeks for Pilot Travel Centers, when on a day off, I was doing some job recommended stretching and was hit with Type A/B aortic dissections (same thing that killed John Ritter), 3 aortic aneurysms and 2 major strokes. They cracked my chest open, were able to repair a single 6cm section, the valve above my heart that had been shredded... and stitched me back together, while the rest of my aorta was still a shredded hamburger mess. They had no idea how I survived, frequently told me, I shouldn't have, and should be dead (it gets old after a while).

I went from working all the time, making a good living, supporting my family... to nothing, overnight. I lost my career. I lost my family, eventually. Divorce will be final in August.

But, its not all a crap sandwich. There were circumstances that were beyond my control, but had been in others, that led to my fate. The Navy had for 6 years, ignored my very high blood pressure. When I got out, first civilian doctor hit the roof. Said, at 26... I had the BP of an obese man, in his 40s. Interesting how, as an obese man, in my 40s... I almost died.

Long story, to an end. I did finally get SSDI (though they still owe me 2 1/2 years bulk payment)... and I got my 100% service connected also. So, I've got a pretty decent "pension" now. With a whole lot of perks. My wife doesn't know all the details. She left me, before the VA awarded me the designation. I spent almost 20 years, making good money, living in poverty, with an alcoholic wife that spent every dime we had. To being single and making about the same money I was before, except tax free. Far as the state and fed are concerned. I don't have an income.

And yesterday, I bought the almost the SAME damn guitar... except the LP Special T version of it!

Congrats and HGND! Hang in there. I won't say it gets better. It gets more tolerable. And don't EVER let anyone, including yourself... take your sense of "manhood" from you. People will try, and you'll be an easy target. Do what's best for you.

P.S. I'm no longer overweight. I'm 5'10" and weighed 242 pounds when this happened. I weigh between 150 - 160 now... and I'll keep it that way.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    12barjunkie and Bear R. like this.
  11. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a story, I feel for you but I'm so glad things have worked out in your favor. I would say I'm sorry about the wife but the way you say it, it seems like it may be better the way it is (didn't mean to overstep) I'm still on work comp disability now and I'm not sure when that's going to end. Probably have another surgery before it's all said and done, then see what happens. I've lost my career at this point, I was working on motorcycles and working my way up, had gotten my first raise and was in sight of the next one when the accident happened. Now I don't think I have a job to go back to, much less the one I always dreamed of. I'll just have to see how it goes from here but I think things will always work out the way they are supposed to, perhaps better than before.

GibsonKramer and Bear R. like this.
  12. minerman

Hey man, hate to say this, but I'm glad I'm not alone with this shit. The heart problems I've had are minor compared to yours (but are still life-threatening), but the doctors did tell me when I have to come back (notice I said "when", not "if"), I'm looking at open-heart surgery. All this has been a real kick in the balls for me too dude. I bought a house last January, got laid off about 10-12 days after I'd moved in. Struggled & struggled all year just to pay the bills. Toward the end of September last year, I had a light heart attack, but actually did nothing about it. Didn't go to the doctor, nothing. But, on October the 28th, I had one that wouldn't go away & ended up in CCU for 3 days. Had stents put in my heart because they couldn't really do much of anything else without damaging things worse, that's when I got the news about "when"....

So I basically lost everything too dude, I did get to keep some of my music gear, but a lot of it I ended up selling during 2015 to pay my bills & eat...

I'd pretty much given up on everything at this point, & the phone rang. Out of the blue, I'd been approved for short-term disability benefits, plus SSI like you. I got 5 months back pay on the short-term, but it's only a fraction of what I'll get from the SSI, so it's just enough to hold me over until that starts next month....

For me, the hardest thing I've ever heard was "you are no longer able to work", but I will say the doctor who told me that is the very one who pushed & got my $$$ started.

I wasn't overweight, in October I was about 200 lbs, fairly fit. I was a smoker (I did quit), & on top of that, I worked underground for 25+ years (the last 15 were running a remote-controlled continuous miner, so I got all the dust, all the time). But since then, I've lost about 40-50 lbs simply because I've wasted away to nothing. Just the simplest of things like taking a shower & getting ready to go somewhere, just absolutely wear me out. I don't know if things will ever be quite the same for me man, I honestly have doubts about it...

If you ever need anyone just to vent to, gimme a holler man, I'm usually here sometime everyday. Again, this has been a real kick in the balls, but I can't give up, I've got to try to keep going & have as normal a life as I can....Gimme a holler dude...

GibsonKramer likes this.
  13. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

The other "funny" thing. My heart is perfectly fine. After the event, they wanted to do a stress test on my heart, but couldn't figure out how to do it, without killing me. The extra pressure through my vascular system, they figured... would go *POP*. They finally decided to do the chemical one. They give you injections, that cause your heart to race and slow back down. Pretty unnerving. They came back and said, "well if your vascular system wasn't destroyed, you could train for triathalons." Gee.. thanks guys.

But, its a common misinterpretation, that has led to 6 years of battling with SSDI, and why they still owe me money. They denied and are still denying my first submission. My second one, got approved. Same thing was happening with the VA. They kept investigating, as if I had a heart issue, when it was the plumbing that's destroyed. To put it bluntly. Every major artery/vein in my torso, that carries blood to every organ in my body, is shredded inside. There's 3 layers to the aorta. the inner layer is hamburger, from the top of both carotid arteries in my neck, to the femoral artery in my right leg.

I lost all that weight, because the strokes had rewired my brain and my body didn't tell my brain when I was hungry and I never remembered to eat. I've since put about 15 pounds back on. And am comfortable in this range.

As for my wife/family. I'd rather have them back and work through our problems. But, I wasn't any gem for the time we've been married, and we certainly reap what we sow. Its had a truly bad effect on the relationship with my daughter. And I'd give up everything, in a heartbeat, to have that back.

Back on guitars!

I got the shipping notice on my LP this morning. Then about 15 minutes later, my friend at GC calls me, "John! Ignore that email I just sent you! Your guitar is NOT here!" I'm like what the heck are you talking about? Turns out, they got in a customer's Gibson SG Standard - Heritage Cherry, and he brought up his screen, to send the customer notice and clicked send. Not noticing there were two customers, and he had just sent the notice to me. I hadn't bothered to tell him I had ordered a guitar. Figured he'd find out, when it got there. I told him, "be thankful you sent it to me, and not someone else who might be a little upset."

P.S. Hope you don't mind the derail, minerman. I also noticed yours is the the STANDARD T, while the LP I bought is the Special T. Makes me lust after your SG all the more. When you posted it, I was like, "Damn! I could have bought one of those!?" Then I looked it up, and all the details. Wow! Truly, Happy New Guitar Day!

14. minerman

First, lemme tell ya, don't worry about de-railing my thread dude, at all. I'd rather have folks interacting with one another than just the same old, same old myself, so again, don't worry about it dude...

I was worried I would have to do a stress test, really worried. I saw my Dad go through that, & I honestly don't know if I could've handled one. I was scared they'd kill me, even with the chemically induced test. But, I didn't, & I'm guessing my doctor pushed it through telling 'em I really needed the $$$/benefits ASAP, which I'm positive he did. I've gotta say, that doctor has saved my ass twice now, & I'm really grateful for what he's done, not just for me, but he did about the same thing for my Dad years ago (which his situation was pretty much the same)...

Don't give up dude, keep pushing for the $$$ they owe you. Get a lawyer if you have to, but don't give in to 'em. I thought I'd have to get a lawyer & fight for mine, but it came through. It really, really surprised me too, I wasn't expecting it to happen so fast...Hang in there dude...

The weight I lost wasn't my belly, I still have my gut, it's the muscle/bulk that I lost. I used to be a pretty big guy, fairly big arms & all. I'm just a shell of what I was, & all this has happened since October...

I've kinda been through the same thing myself, although I don't have any kids that are mine, I do have an ex-stepson that I helped raise. I went through the divorce in the summer of 2014, & that just added to the stress I was already under. Me & the ex-wife still speak, & are on decent terms, but it'll never be the same for either of us. We spent about 16-17 years together, so it's really hard to just flip a switch to shut down something like that...I feel your pain dude...If it's possible, try to spend as much time with your daughter as you can dude, there's nothing like kids...

Nice man!!!! My LP has a satin finish, nothing like the nitro the SG has, but I just couldn't swing the $$$ at that time, so I settled for the best I could get, that I could afford. The SG I just got, I'm getting on monthly installments, so it's not like I threw $1,100 at it, in the end I did, but only a little at a time. Hell man, I haven't had $1,100 all at one time in about 15 months, up until I got my "retirement"....Hang in there dude, we've both pulled our time working, now it's time to try to enjoy life as much as we can while we're still around...Be sure to post up some pics of the new guitar when it arrives...

I've done some A/B test recordings with my LP & SG today. They're really similar, but have enough tonal differences in 'em to notice. I'm absolutely lovin' this guitar so far...:D

GibsonKramer likes this.
  15. renips

renips Well-Known Member

Nice Guitar. Those necks are smooth

16. riefil

riefil Active Member

Beautiful Guitar! That will be one of my next acquisitions.

Fellow 2x heart attack survivor here! 1st one 16 years ago at the ripe old age of 34. 1 week later my son was born. Talk about pressure on my wife. IDK how the hell she got through that. 2 months later my blockages re-blocked and had to go through what was supposed to be quadruple by-pass(1 vessel was not accessible). At the same time my infant son was scheduled for kidney surgery at a hospital about 50 miles from the one I was in.:erk: Good Times! Had a second heart attack a couple of years later, thankfully very mild. It's been an interesting ride over the last sixteen years. After a few other "events", my Cardiologist recommended that I go on Disability. Looked into it, what a run-around! The weird thing is a feel pretty damn good most of the time. Go to the gym, try to eat healthy, but in the back of my mind eventually something is going to happen. I was also kind of resistant to the idea because of my age (50). What the hell would I do for the rest of my life? IDK if you guys have gone through this too. If so how did you handle it? I wish you guys the best of health in the future.

Phil

17. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new SG ! Good to here things are coming back around for you !

18. Stringjunkie

Stringjunkie Well-Known Member

That a sweet looking guitar MM. The woodgrain looks perfect. I like SGs, enjoy!

19. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

Nice score Miner. Sorry to hear about the health issues though.

20. minerman

Thanks again guys...

These health problems are still kickin' ass over here, but I'm doing my best to fight back. It's just a long, slow recovery process for me. I know it's been almost 6 months now since the biggie hit me, but it's been a life-changing experience to say the least....

Back to the SG.....after a couple/few days with this guitar, it's sound really isn't that much different than my LP, it may have a little more bite/high end, & slightly different mids, but not a whole hell of a lot. In a recording (which is all I do, other than terrorize my neighbors with my 100w head & 4x12 cab:rofl:), it'd be hard to tell these apart, but, I've always loved SG's, & always wanted a "real" one.
    Actually, my first electric was an early 70's SG 1 just like this:
    [​IMG]

I actually didn't know what model that guitar was until I did some searching (way back then the internet wasn't around you know), but I found this ad, which confirms what it was:
    [​IMG]

My first amp was just like this:
    [​IMG]

The only way I could get it to distort was to crank it wide open, which didn't sit very well with the old man.:nono: I finally learned about distortion/od pedals later on, but you've gotta remember, the internet wasn't around then, & it was hard to find out a lot of things, especially when you lived back in the boonies like I did...Guitar For The Practicing Musician (I bet the young guys here have never heard of that magazine) was practically a god-send back in those days, if you could find it...
    But, those are long-gone thanks to my lovely, ex-wife #1.:facepalm: My parents bought 'em for me as a Christmas gift in '83...Mom & Dad paid $300 for this guitar, & a Fender Bronco amp that year (which was a lot of $$$ for a country boy way back then, & just guessing, was probably a whole week's pay for my Dad at that time...it's interesting now to put myself in his place, & I totally "get it" now, but back then, of course, I didn't, I was just a kid who didn't have a clue about anything)...Wish I had those 2 things back now, but, that's life...

Something I really really like about this guitar, it almost plays itself. The action on this thing is just unreal. Sure, my LP plays good too (all my guitars do really), but it just seems this one's action is a little better than the rest. Probably still the "new" thing going on...lol...

The nitro finish on this guitar is really nice too, my LP has the satin finish, & doesn't shine like the SG. I know that's purely cosmetic, but the finish with the binding on the neck make this thing just look great IMO...

Sorry for the long-ass post, but I get carried away sometimes.....

Lovin' the new guitar over here....:jam:

GibsonKramer and JAC like this.