Ngd - My New Japanese Weapon Of Choice

GuitarIV

Reaction score
So a week or two ago I opened a thread about wether I should purchase this guitar or not; in the end everybody including myself knew I would do so once I logged on here and made a dedicated thread. So a bit late I can now give you guys a review of my new MIJ Jackson Randy Rhoads 5 :D

Basically I haven't bought a guitar in the last two years, as a matter of fact I got rid of at least 3 or 4 to make space, get some dough in and focus on my favourites. I have fulfilled myself my teenage dream and bought a 1982 JCM 800 2203 with some of the cash that selling my excess guitars generated. So at least in the amplifier realm I'm completely satisfied atm.

Story goes like this: a buddy of mine went to our local music store and saw this baby hanging off the wall under the "second hand guitars" section. He knows how much of a sucker I am for Jacksons and being the asshole he is he sent me a picture of it and said I should go check it out as he recons the guitar would suit me.

IMG-20180421-WA0004.jpg

So we met up a few days later and went there. I took the axe off the wall and gave it a thorough testrun. I have bought too much stuff in the past not properly testing because of G.A.S. and lucky me I never got a dud, but this time I wanted to really justify spending 650 bucks on a used axe I didn't really need, but want. So I said to myself ok, if this thing has a SINGLE significant flaw I will back off.

Straight neck at a properly set angle, low action, no fret buzz or fretting out, acoustically loud and clear, perfect neck profile for my hands, light yet sturdy feeling, no headdive, lovely amplified sound with lots of harmonics and bite. Beautiful cleans. Stays in tune. Awesome and elegant look, black and gold. Hardtail. Riffing on it feels tight and solid. Dammed.

So I struggled for a week before I eventually went to the store, took her off the wall, walked straight to the guy at the counter and only said two words. "Hi. Mine!".

I got her home and gave her some proper playing time. After 3 hours or so my fingers were hurting. The 650 I spent hurt me less and less with every minute that flew by whilst I was putting her through her paces. Needless to say by now I don't regret a single penny I paid.

There was another RR-5 for sale on my local auction site; it was listed for 500 bucks and I could have haggled the guy down to 450, in the end I didn't go for it because I just instantly bonded with the one at the store and needless to say such a thing doesn't happen often, so I knew it had to be the more expensive one.

So when I had a day off I ripped out the EMG 57/66 combo I had in my Les Paul and installed it in the RR-5; she came with a set of JBs, both in the neck and bridge and whilst I loved the sound of the JB in the neck the trembucker in the bridge was a bit too flubby in the lows through my 2203. So I decided to treat her to the EMGs and make her my riffing machine for 80ies metal and beyond next to my other MIJ Rhoads Elite with the 81/60 and the Floyd. Picture of the twins:

IMG-20180430-WA0024.jpg

What can I say, she sounded awesome before, now the friggin thing spits fire. The 57 going into my SD-1 goosing the 2203 and my G12-65/V30 equipped 412 is a sound to die for. Tight, gnarly, aggressive with a chewy midrange, headslicing highs and chest thumping lows. Harmonics in spades. Plays like I dream. I do use my Floyd here and there but at the end of the day I'm a hardtail guy; when you do a lot of Thrash riffing and downpicking the bounce back of the TOM bridge helps a lot and feels better than the whammy; for that very reason I have used my LP a lot for that style. Now I have passive Duncans in there for mellower styles and the RR-5 can take over metal duties.

Cosmetically she has the typical pointy guitar syndrome: some of the corners are chipped off. It's nothing you see though unless you take a closeup look so nothing that bothers me. I had to solder a few cables including the power supply connection going to the output jack as the Rhoads model has a long run of cable that goes into the upper fin, I also had to cut up a few of the solderless cables and make other connections but at the end of the day I must say EMG has got it right with the connectors that you can just stick on instead of spending a long time on soldering. I disconnected the tone pot and left it in there for cosmetic reasons so I don't have a gaping hole in the pickguard; both pickups have a dedicated master volume pot with the 3 way switch so it's like a Les Paul configuration minus the tone pots; nobody needs those for playing metal anyway so less crap in the signal chain. Getting the battery into the control cavity was a tight fit but it worked out. Cleaned and oiled the fretboard and strung her up with a set of Elixir 10-52s in E-Standard. Next to my LP she's one of the most comfortable guitars I ever played. I planned on replacing the stock guitar strap pins with Dunlop locking ones; I couldn't get the new screws in by hand though so I will use some power tools when I have the time.

What more can I say? Wall of text; I know but I am happy. It feels good to have bought a "new" guitar after such a long time and not regretting the purchase the slightest. I am a bit sad that Jackson isn't producing their Pro line in Japan anymore as they are fabulous instruments and trust me when I tell ya that the Indonesian and the Mexico models can't touch the Japanese ones; it's not a racist thing just my own experience from playing a lot of older and newer Jacksons. At the same time you can get a lot of great MIJ Jacksons on the used market for cheap with great quality and sound, especially if you get their early to mid 90ies Professional line. Grab em if you get the chance, you won't be dissapointed.

And now enough talking, time for some pictures. As soon as I get my hands on a microphone I will mic my 2203 up and upload some YT videos of me playing the damn thing, for now the eyecandy and my words will have to do :D

Cheers!

IMG-20180506-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0015.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0016.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20180506-WA0020.jpg

Last edited:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
So a week or two ago I opened a thread about wether I should purchase this guitar or not; in the end everybody including myself knew I would do so once I logged on here and made a dedicated thread. So a bit late I can now give you guys a review of my new MIJ Jackson Randy Rhoads 5 :D

Basically I haven't bought a guitar in the last two years, as a matter of fact I got rid of at least 3 or 4 to make space, get some dough in and focus on my favourites. I have fulfilled myself my teenage dream and bought a 1982 JCM 800 2203 with some of the cash that selling my excess guitars generated. So at least in the amplifier realm I'm completely satisfied atm.

Story goes like this: a buddy of mine went to our local music store and saw this baby hanging off the wall under the "second hand guitars" section. He knows how much of a sucker I am for Jacksons and being the asshole he is he sent me a picture of it and said I should go check it out as he recons the guitar would suit me.

View attachment 48005

So we met up a few days later and went there. I took the axe off the wall and gave it a thorough testrun. I have bought too much stuff in the past not properly testing because of G.A.S. and lucky me I never got a dud, but this time I wanted to really justify spending 650 bucks on a used axe I didn't really need, but want. So I said to myself ok, if this thing has a SINGLE significant flaw I will back off.

Straight neck at a properly set angle, low action, no fret buzz or fretting out, acoustically loud and clear, perfect neck profile for my hands, light yet sturdy feeling, no headdive, lovely amplified sound with lots of harmonics and bite. Beautiful cleans. Stays in tune. Awesome and elegant look, black and gold. Hardtail. Riffing on it feels tight and solid. Dammed.

So I struggled for a week before I eventually went to the store, took her off the wall, walked straight to the guy at the counter and only said two words. "Hi. Mine!".

I got her home and gave her some proper playing time. After 3 hours or so my fingers were hurting. The 650 I spent hurt me less and less with every minute that flew by whilst I was putting her through her paces. Needless to say by now I don't regret a single penny I paid.

There was another RR-5 for sale on my local auction site; it was listed for 500 bucks and I could have haggled the guy down to 450, in the end I didn't go for it because I just instantly bonded with the one at the store and needless to say such a thing doesn't happen often, so I knew it had to be the more expensive one.

So when I had a day off I ripped out the EMG 57/66 combo I had in my Les Paul and installed it in the RR-5; she came with a set of JBs, both in the neck and bridge and whilst I loved the sound of the JB in the neck the trembucker in the bridge was a bit too flubby in the lows through my 2203. So I decided to treat her to the EMGs and make her my riffing machine for 80ies metal and beyond next to my other MIJ Rhoads Elite with the 81/60 and the Floyd. Picture of the twins:

View attachment 48007

What can I say, she sounded awesome before, now the friggin thing spits fire. The 57 going into my SD-1 goosing the 2203 and my G12-65/V30 equipped 412 is a sound to die for. Tight, gnarly, aggressive with a chewy midrange, headslicing highs and chest thumping lows. Harmonics in spades. Plays like I dream. I do use my Floyd here and there but at the end of the day I'm a hardtail guy; when you do a lot of Thrash riffing and downpicking the bounce back of the TOM bridge helps a lot and feels better than the whammy; for that very reason I have used my LP a lot for that style. Now I have passive Duncans in there for mellower styles and the RR-5 can take over metal duties.

Cosmetically she has the typical pointy guitar syndrome: some of the corners are chipped off. It's nothing you see though unless you take a closeup look so nothing that bothers me. I had to solder a few cables including the power supply connection going to the output jack as the Rhoads model has a long run of cable that goes into the upper fin, I also had to cut up a few of the solderless cables and make other connections but at the end of the day I must say EMG has got it right with the connectors that you can just stick on instead of spending a long time on soldering. I disconnected the tone pot and left it in there for cosmetic reasons so I don't have a gaping hole in the pickguard; both pickups have a dedicated master volume pot with the 3 way switch so it's like a Les Paul configuration minus the tone pots; nobody needs those for playing metal anyway so less crap in the signal chain. Getting the battery into the control cavity was a tight fit but it worked out. Cleaned and oiled the fretboard and strung her up with a set of Elixir 10-52s in E-Standard. Next to my LP she's one of the most comfortable guitars I ever played. I planned on replacing the stock guitar strap pins with Dunlop locking ones; I couldn't get the new screws in by hand though so I will use some power tools when I have the time.

What more can I say? Wall of text; I know but I am happy. It feels good to have bought a "new" guitar after such a long time and not regretting the purchase the slightest. I am a bit sad that Jackson isn't producing their Pro line in Japan anymore as they are fabulous instruments and trust me when I tell ya that the Indonesian and the Mexico models can't touch the Japanese ones; it's not a racist thing just my own experience from playing a lot of older and newer Jacksons. At the same time you can get a lot of great MIJ Jacksons on the used market for cheap with great quality and sound, especially if you get their early to mid 90ies Professional line. Grab em if you get the chance, you won't be dissapointed.

And now enough talking, time for some pictures. As soon as I get my hands on a microphone I will mic my 2203 up and upload some YT videos of me playing the damn thing, for now the eyecandy and my words will have to do :D

Cheers!

View attachment 48009
View attachment 48010
View attachment 48011
View attachment 48012
View attachment 48013
View attachment 48014
View attachment 48015
View attachment 48016
Those are two sweet looking guitars, I do like the black/silver one a bit better!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I never ever played one RD but they must be good if you say so, I will have to check them out!
bro, never, EVER take my word for anything.
but i suggest you go play a couple.
just be careful of one needing a setup. thats often the case
because a lot of people just dont keep them up.
try a good charvel, ibanez, or kramer. 80's models.

GuitarIV

Reaction score
I wonder if he still has it?

Same here.

When I saw the Post Date, I
FacePalm myself.

Guitar has been sold, as almost all my other pointy metal guitars have been. As I get older I play more Blues and Hard Rock, I even own a Telecaster now and I wouldn't have want to be caught dead with one a few years ago :p

The old MIJ Jackson are great guitars and especially used a bang for your buck. If I was in a metal band again I wouldn't hesitate a second to seek out a used one, there are plenty of Dinkys to be had for 400 bucks out there. The new Jacksons suck ass, I used to be a fanboy but have switched over to the ESP/LTD camp some time ago. Still own an Eclipse and M-II model. Probably not selling those ever :)

Latest posts