NGD: My first Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by drgordonfreeman, Jan 28, 2014.

1. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman Well-Known Member

I can't believe that I've been playing since I was 10, and this is the first time I've ever owned a Telecaster. I can see now why so many people play these things, especially the country crowd. It's just got that feel to it.

Only one pic, because it's a Squier. That's not as big of a deal as this being my first Telecaster. Why Squier? Because being the first time, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a guitar I may have disliked. The good news is I'm ready to upgrade to an MIA already. Ha!

[​IMG]

Feel free to share the love and post your own Telecasters ITT.

2. jack daniels

jack daniels Well-Known Member

Teles are the bees knees. When you read about many guitar heroes they'll say that they started out on teles. They might not still be playing teles but still have an immense respect for them as instruments. I think a Tele works better with a Les Paul than a Strat and a Les Paul. A Tele can cut, but it can also thump with the best of guitars including Les Pauls.

SteveGangi and JAC like this.
  3. jack daniels

4. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Nice geetar.;) Is that a Squier Classic Vibe series? They are excellent guitars and I've played a few in the store nearby. I was infected with Tele fever back in 2006 with my '52 AVRI Tele. It was Fender's 60th anniversary and I also traded in my Marshall Valvestate 8080V for a Fender Twin-Reverb. It's pure Fender heaven.:)

[​IMG]

5. drgordonfreeman

Ah, the classic butterscotch Tele. Mine is actually an Affinity series Squier. Squiers are just a really good bang for your buck.

What color is that pickguard?

6. jack daniels

My Alabastard 61' Tele was a custom build. Neck - Warmoth 22 fret Indian Rosewood neck, straight 9.5 radius, 1-11/16" nut width, standard thin contour, Gotoh Vintage 6 inline locking tuners 15:1 tuning ratio. Body - Red Dirt Guitar works 3 piece 4.0 lb swamp ash body prior to nitrocellulose alabaster paint job. Don Mare ZepOTone 2 Live version tele pup set, vintage stamped pat# bridge drilled for top loading and through body stringing, titanium string ferrules from Glendale, 3 threaded steel saddles, RS Guitarworks wiring, pots, 4 way switch, and Jensen ali foil PIO tone cap. Threaded steel neck inserts to provide better contact/continuity between neck and body while providing excellent sustain and resonance even unplugged. Pickguard Mint Green Fender.

7. jack daniels

Mint Green. I got the idea from Jeff Beck's 59 Tele that he used with the Yardbirds which became Jimmy Page's when he took over Jeff's position in the Yardbirds. This became the "Dragon Tele" we all know and love as used on the Led Zeppelin I album which was later painted white. I took a few liberties like the 4 way switch, 9.5 radius, threaded neck inserts, titanium string ferrules, etc., but this guitar is the absolute best tele I'll ever have or play ever, it's that good.

8. BlackSG91

Did you say Affinity?;) I have two Affinity Strats and this particular one I'll be installing Fender Noiseless Vintage pups. I totally agree with you on this line of Squier. I love the necks on them and they have a great feel. These guitars are a really good bang for the buck and you can upgrade them for a more professional setup. In fact the stock pickups sound really good in this guitar and people have commented on how they can get that Hendrix tone with these pups. They have a lower impedance of around 4 k ohms so 250 k ohm volume pots would work better than the stock 500 k ohm. I might buy more Affinities if I see any in the pawn shop.;)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. Hector

Hector Member

Congrats. Every man should get a Tele at least one time :D. It's the real deal
    Cheers

SteveGangi likes this.
  10. 1neeto

1neeto Well-Known Member

Congrats! Squiers are excellent modding platforms!

BlackSG91 likes this.
  11. Cold Warrior

Cold Warrior New Member

One thing I always notice when I play my Tele is that it is a very inspiring and "musical" instrument. It sounds like Rock N Roll (the way I play it at least). :yesway: More Rock than most shred axes. It's not quite as easy to overplay in bombastic fashion, so it makes you work a bit more and choose notes more wisely and more sparingly since the sound of each twangy note is so freakin' perfect as is---there's no reason to overdo it. I find myself aping early Page more when I play the Tele. :cool: I also like the way Jeff Buckley used the Tele.

12. drgordonfreeman

It's funny you mention this, because the Telecaster is a much larger body than what I'm used to. I'm used to the thin strat/super strat body styles. Plus, my Telecaster has no cut aways or bevels, so the difference is even more pronounced. It almost feels like holding a really small acoustic guitar. I've noticed that I feel more reserved playing it.

13. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Congrats! Always loved the look / sound from a Tele, but have never been comfortable playing one unfortunately. It was actually the cover of Billy Squier's Don't Say No album where he's holding a Tele that started my main interest in playing the guitar (he just looked so cool to me at the time).

14. Lyv2Ryd

Lyv2Ryd Well-Known Member

Cool man...
    I too, after all these years just recently got into Teles.
    Heres one I just built using BG Vintage P90s, it is slowly becoming my go to guitar. Like JD said, it twangs and bites and can also sound thick and heavy. I love it.

[​IMG]

BlackSG91 likes this.
  15. buzz

buzz Active Member

[​IMG]

my custom shop '51 Nocaster.........:naughty:

Attached Files:

R.Kandy, BlackSG91 and SteveGangi like this.
  16. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Does the lip on the bridge plate bother you? I think that would drive me crazy.

17. Marshall Gibson

Marshall Gibson Well-Known Member

2005 std w/Wilkinson tailpiece, Dimarzio 'Twang King' p'ups.

[​IMG]

BlackSG91 and SteveGangi like this.
  18. BlackSG91

I personally like it on mine.;) It's quirky but I actually rest my pinky on the bottom part sometimes when I pick. It makes you play a bit different. It's like when Hendrix plays a Strat upside down. For us it would feel totally weird for us right-handers to play a left-handed Strat. Jimi got around the controls being in the way & the other quirks and he has developed a unique playing style because of that. I play different on my Tele because of the bridge plate, but in a good way. I also like the car ashtray look and it gives me a place to store my pick.:slash:.

SonVolt likes this.
  19. jack daniels

Here's an alternative

[​IMG]

20. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Why have a lip at all? I'd think flush would be better, no?

BlackSG91 likes this.